BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been most dissappointed with the service I have received so far and I haven't received my M5 yet. This amazes me as I would have thought that if you have a customer who is ready to shell out the money to buy one of these cars, you would treat them with respect and show your dealership is competent.

Firstly, there have been about 8 different ship arrival dates given by dealers around Australia. Second, members of this board found out the reason for the delay before our dealers could tell us.

Two weeks ago, I asked the dealer if he would get hold of a copy of the owner's manual so I could start to get aquainted with as much as I can now about the car rather than to waste valuable driving time reading. Responce was: "sure will organise that".

After waiting patiently, rang him on Friday to see what was going on to hear all this crap about the manual being such a big document. I said listen, if your margins are that tight, I'll pay for the photocopying!

This really aloof and unsatisfactory attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Have I struck a bad dealer or is this par for the course?

If it is par for the course, perhaps this could be conveyed to BMW as constructive criticism with the aim of improving the BMW image to one more consistent with a high end marque.

·
Registered
260 Posts
m5-black said:
Sounds like a standard BMW dealership , at least the same as ones I've come accross in UK and Ireland.

My local BMW dealership -Erhard BMW- is a great dealership - nice and friendly!

Sry to hear about your troubles m8, but once you get your car, all that won't matter!
:cheers:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not a great experience, but not surprising either. While I think that parting with $90K + here in the states should warrant great treatment, you must keep in mind that the 745s, 750s, 760s, 645s, etc etc that they're selling many of, are equal or more money, so it's no big deal to them. That combined with the dearth of info and literature and swatches from the factory is leaving the dealers look like the least informed of all of us.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It looks like BMW Canada Inc. is going out of its way to make us (Canadians who have ordered the M5) feel special. I am told by my dealer that I will receive a personalized gift in the mail shortly with a short note from the president of BMW Canada, Lindsay Duffield. Although this does not make up for shoddy dealer service (which I fortunately have never experienced), it does indicate something about the attitude of BMW Canada Inc. towards its customers.

Best regards,

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Ecellent BMW Canada! BMW Germany M6 customers got an apology letter ffrom BMW M Manager Ulrich Bruhnke and BMW Netherlands sent out an apology letter to Ducth orders as well. A small but bot bad move, that makes the customer feels ´somewhat appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd say it's probably pretty regular treatment from a australian car dealer...

If you're at a big sydney or melbourne dealer, you're not that special spending almost a quarter million on an M5 there... I reckon smaller country dealers can be better (e.g. i found the BMW dealer in Woollongong very friendly and would happily travel the hour south from sydney to get better customer service there), and more personalised, but still bear in mind, that the guys selling cars probably used to be hyundai, daewoo and holden salesman... so don't expect too much...

I'm looking at a 130i M sport when they arrive at the end of the year from the dealer here in Canberra, and the sales staff there have been very friendly and helpful, despite the fact that Diplomatic cars for embassies and ambassadors like 760Li, 645Ci and 545i are where they probably make all their money. Luck of the draw mate...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Spiroman said:
It looks like BMW Canada Inc. is going out of its way to make us (Canadians who have ordered the M5) feel special. I am told by my dealer that I will receive a personalized gift in the mail shortly with a short note from the president of BMW Canada, Lindsay Duffield. Although this does not make up for shoddy dealer service (which I fortunately have never experienced), it does indicate something about the attitude of BMW Canada Inc. towards its customers.

Best regards,
Don't forget to post what kind of gift you got!

·
Registered
213 Posts
My local dealer on the Gold Coast is going out of his way to get information to me about the car - very friendly, called up a week ago or so and asked if there was anything else he could do for me. Incredible!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Spiroman said:

Best regards,
Don't think that's isolated to BMW either...

Ford Performance Vehicles here in Australia made a big mistake with the twin plate AP clutch in their F6 Typhoon sedan (see here ) The recall took around 4-6 months before the clutch issues had been fixed, but people who had their car recalled were given a GT (supposedly 1 model up the range) while their cars were being fixed. And after the clutch issues were sorted and folks got their cars back, FPV sent everyone affected by the recall a Sony PS2 and Gran Turismo 4 (which has the F6 in it)

With cars becoming more and more competetive, it seems some manufacturers are doing whatever they deem necessary to keep their customers who have been inconvenienced happy so that they might remain with a particular brand.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I've had positive and negative experiences of auto dealerships for several different marques. I think you will find for every person who has something negative to say about a dealership, there will be another with a positive story. I suggest if you do not like the treatment at one dealership, find another or find a way to get this one to change their behaviour.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MEnthusiast said:
I've had positive and negative experiences of auto dealerships for several different marques. I think you will find for every person who has something negative to say about a dealership, there will be another with a positive story. I suggest if you do not like the treatment at one dealership, find another or find a way to get this one to change their behaviour.
Granted, finding another dealership, if you live in a large city, can be a solution.

However, I’m not sure if the sentiment: “ for each negative experience there is a positive experience” is empirical. I really don’t know.

That was the purpose of me starting this thread, that is, to see if my experience (as well as some others’ I’ve heard of and read on this board) is generally representative of a minority or more widespread. I note the positive experiences and if that is generally the case, then it’s good.

On the other side, if negative experiences are more general, it’s not so good. In which case, collectively, we could try to influence the situation in a way that is reasonable and practical.

I am not suggesting we form the “marque xyz union” and start picketing the dealerships. Besides that being unproductive, I don’t think any of us would have neither the time nor the inclination.;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Dealers need to make a buck as well Its just a game like the stock market.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
beamaphile said:
I have been most dissappointed with the service I have received so far and I haven't received my M5 yet. This amazes me as I would have thought that if you have a customer who is ready to shell out the money to buy one of these cars, you would treat them with respect and show your dealership is competent.

Firstly, there have been about 8 different ship arrival dates given by dealers around Australia. Second, members of this board found out the reason for the delay before our dealers could tell us.

Two weeks ago, I asked the dealer if he would get hold of a copy of the owner's manual so I could start to get aquainted with as much as I can now about the car rather than to waste valuable driving time reading. Responce was: "sure will organise that".

After waiting patiently, rang him on Friday to see what was going on to hear all this crap about the manual being such a big document. I said listen, if your margins are that tight, I'll pay for the photocopying!

This really aloof and unsatisfactory attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Have I struck a bad dealer or is this par for the course?

If it is par for the course, perhaps this could be conveyed to BMW as constructive criticism with the aim of improving the BMW image to one more consistent with a high end marque.
The Dealer is back in the good books again. Received the owner's manual in PDF format which is great. No wonder Tiff Needel said it was like reading a formula 1 manual, there are 218 pages of it! Lots of bed time reading coming up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
beamaphile said:
The Dealer is back in the good books again. Received the owner's manual in PDF format which is great. No wonder Tiff Needel said it was like reading a formula 1 manual, there are 218 pages of it! Lots of bed time reading coming up.
Could you post the owners manual? i get mine in 2 months and would love to see what there is

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
beamaphile said:
Can you please be so kind and post it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mad_Al said:
Can you please be so kind and post it?
Would be happy to except I noticed that the document states that it is not to be reproduced without written permission from BMW AG. I don't want to create any legal problems for this board or myself. If Gustav or any moderators can offer any advice, would be grateful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts