BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several times on this board that while the M5 burns alot of oil, the dealer supplies oil free of charge as part of the "full maintenance". Well my dealership has a different opinion of this and when I went to top off with a quart after 500 miles they said I needed to pay for it. I put up a fuss and they backed down but I don't want to go through this every time. Does anybody know what the rules are. The book does not specifically address this. Also what oil change intervals in addition to the free ones are you guys using. Obviously these need to be paid for, but that seems to be understood.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dealer didn't think that oil was included at first. I told them that I had read that it was and for them to check with BMW and provide me with a written list of what was and wasn't covered by "full maintainence".

I still haven't gotten a list, but they said that oil was indeed covered.

Rick

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's covered. Full maintenance is just that. Full maintenance. Also, if you live in US, you should know that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (1975) says that if the manufacturer mandates you use a particular supply (Castrol 10W/60) else your warranty is voided, they must supply it free of charge during the warranty period.

·
Registered
73 Posts
While BMW is suppling oil for free, I'm not convinced it's because the law requires it.

A manufacturer can require a specific brand of product and not provide it for free if they can demonstrate that there is only one brand that will be suitable. That is, they can't just promote one brand out of many like-products and require that you use it. However, if there is only one brand that meets the specification, they can require it and not provide it for free.

I don't know if there are other brands of synthetic 10W-60 available, or if there is anything else about the Castrol product that makes it unique, but it's hasn't been confirmed that BMW is legally required to give you the oil. Regardless, they are.

If your dealer says oil is not included, they are mis-informed.

Rick

·
Registered
620 Posts
I want to say that this is at dealer's discretion and probably for M5 only. It'd be interesting if all MY2000 owners demand to have their oil top-off because they all have Full Maintainence. Does anybody know what BMWNA position is on this ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts