BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Dealer serviced now feels slower!!!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Gian124 
#1 ·
Okay guys so took my car in to the dealer because i kept on getting a dsc malfunction and it was time for a oil change but when i got the car back they had changed the oil, fixed the dsc problem i guess it was a steering switch in my steering colume but also changed the differential oil i dont know why but the service advisor said it was needed. The wierd thing is when i was switching through the cluster settings and got to the mpg section it said 6mpg instead of the usual 12 to 13, my radio presets were gone, and the worst part is when i was driving her home the car felt noticably sloweer and for the past 3 days been driving her hard thinking maybe it might help BUT NO and its definitly not the same car. I DONT KNOW WHAT THOSE BASTARDS DID BUT I WANT MY OLD M BACK!!!!!! Have you guys had any experiance with this issue.

#2 · (Edited)
Check the front and rear emblems. If it now reads "Kia" instead of "BMW" you need to take it back to the stealership quick.... well, as quick as you can in this case.

Reactions: Bavarian Beast
#5 ·
check the front and rear emblems. If it now reads "kia" instead of "bmw" you need to take it back to the stealership quick.... Well, as quick as you can in this case.
lmaooooo

#3 ·
Did they do a program update? I have heard that program updates in the US also de-tunes the performance. Not sure how true that is, but I got a program update on my old 550, and it was never the same performance wise

#4 ·
After a reset, the MPG shows 6 (the min value) so don't be alarmed by that. Radio preset no doubt also got lost when they pulled the battery cable or reset the controllers. Irritating, but it does happen sometime at the dealership. Especially if they "program" anything or do a software update.

#6 ·
I second what Mark said.

It it standard practice to remove battery power when someone works on car's electrical system. (Avoid possibly short circuit or remove shock hazard source.)

Removing battery power erases your clock settings, average mpg memory, radio memory settings, mobile phone pairing, etc.
And it may have erased your M-settings as well.

Just set everything again to your liking and you should be good to go again.

Also, FYI, our butt o meter is usually not precisely calibrated.
A good way to determine if your car is not performing to its peak is to get the beast on a dyno machine.

Myself, my oil rubbed butt-o-meter is regularly calibrated, massaged and fine tuned by female hands, hence I can really tell when my beast is not running on its peak performance.

#11 · (Edited)
And it may have erased your M-settings as well.
I think Dan's suggestion is right on target.

I would check this first... make sure you are in P500 Sport (not P500 or P400) ... when you lost the settings from your radio, your M button settings were reset to some default value... even though when you push the button, the MDM will pop up in the gauge cluster... you have to check iDrive to confirm your power setting.

#7 ·
...the worst part is when i was driving her home the car felt noticably sloweer and for the past 3 days been driving her hard thinking maybe it might help BUT NO and its definitly not the same car. I DONT KNOW WHAT THOSE BASTARDS DID BUT I WANT MY OLD M BACK!!!!!! Have you guys had any experiance with this issue.
Welcome to the world of BMW service:
If you ask for a software update, BMW will refuse or charge for the update :confused3
If you don't want an update, BMW will perform an update :nono:

#8 ·
I agree with Clyde.

You take your beast to the dealer for service.
When you pick up the car, your SA will mention "BTW, we updated your software to the latest and greatest (whether you want it or not)".

You go back a month later (my own experience),"can you folks enable my Aux Audio Input?"
$tealer: "Sure, it takes about 8 hours to revise & upload software so we can do it for $230.00 service fee."
WHAT??????????
When we dont have a choice, what can we do? So I ate the $230.00 service fee.

#9 ·
Well all i can say is the cars not the same. I was playing with a R6 last night from about 90-140 i still had him but I've done the same thing in the past and i was much more ahead. I'm disappointed in BMW's Service procedure and guideline's i feel like every time my cars gone in Ive gotten it back with something wrong or off in some way. All i can say is don't let them do a update.

#10 · (Edited)
Yep, even the best stealerships seem to have this habit. They figger if you can afford a 6-figger vehicle, you can easily afford whatever figger they gouge you for. Go figger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.