BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago Tate BMW Annapolis Maryland completed an Inspection II for
$ 901.75 and informed me that my belts needed to be changed plus my oil pan replaced due to a stripped drain plug bolt. They said they would replace the pan for free, so I assumed they stripped the bolt.

So I followed up yesterday, paid $ 200.50 for the belt, new pan and oil was free.

When they gave me the car after the service, the passenger side right rear tire was apparently flat. I drove the car 1/3 mile, it didn't feel right, then the tire defect light came on and I pulled over. I discovered that the valve stem had a fast leak. So compressor was no good and Mobility Kit was out.....I had asnow tire in the truck, but the rain and uphill or downhill position options that I had on the road, etc. made it a tough change..... I waited 3 hours in the heavy rain for a flat bed to show up.

Sidenote...BMW Assistance sent a regular tow truck first which couldn't be used due to rear wheel drive and then the flatbed came. That actually was funny as I believe the only BMW that is a front wheel drive is the MINI. That began to tell me that something was not going to be good with this situation and that Murphy's Law was coming on strong and everything was going to be downhill after this...............

The only good thing is that I caught my salesman before he left at 5:30pm and who I have bought 4 BMWs from and he brought me the keys to a loaner, that I had already used for the day, and a beer which was a nice touch. I told him that the service person who brought me the car after I paid should be sitting with the car instead of me, and should wait the 2 hour estimated time from BMW Assistance, because I couldn't believe he gave me my car back with a flat tire.

Well, I was eventually towed back to dealer and left the car there with notes and dropped the key in the overnight drop box. Also the tire sidewalls (S-03's) were so hard that the rim was unscathed.......

You would think that someone who has bought 4 cars, given them previously good service feedback reports and just spent $1,100 , has $ 1,000 deposit on new M5, would be taken car of, especially with them giving me my car back with a flat.....well.....I saw the service manager this morning 1 hour after they opened (with car still sitting with a flat) telling me that the "car was fine after he drove it yesterday" and they would get to it when they could today........I stayed calm, but they know I was unbelieving of the service I was getting because I told them as I left that "i guess my feedback review to BMW will be "creative" this time to give them all 5's again as I have in the past"

Naturally the general manager was not in....but my salesperson was and he presently is trying to get them to do the right thing.......I still have their coutesy car 325i, and expect that they will charge me for this episode because they will not take responsibility for the flat......also my service advisor who takes care of me and my wife's car, acted today like she doesn't know me anymore, after giving her great feedback on previous services..........

I am just astounded.............if they had said my tire was flat before I picked up the car, charged me for it upfront, I could have lived with that.....but this aftermath is hilarious customer service...........

I will go back and go ballistic (and I will have fun and get my money's worth with that, especially with a showroom full of people), because of the fact they did not address my car first this am and I definitely will be switching to another dealer immediately and getting back my M5 deposit when I return.....the depsit comes back first befoer the hysterics acting begins.......oh well.........they have brought me down to their level.........only temporaily though.............the true test of a dealer comes when things don't go right and get a little tougher.......when things are smooth they can be so gracious........feel bad about salesperson, but I have no other option, unless somebody can assist me with an idea.................... :byebye:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sold the car yesterday for C4S

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Wow, I am sorry to hear about the troubles with the BMW dealer. Unfortunately, many business do not value customer service when they do not need to offer it to move product. Hope you enjoy your C4S, what options does it have?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, it was certainly poor customer service after the incident. But I'm wondering:

You said the tire (sorry tyre) seemed flat when you went to pick it up. Why didn't you point this out at the time?

Secondly, perhaps it picked up a nail between the shop and where they parked it. It IS conceivable that the car was fine on the test drive, or when i was in the shop. I'm not trying to dispute what you have said, only suggesting the possibility.

I learned to keep an open mind after a furious argument grrrrrrrwith another golfer over who's ball he was going to play. After much heated debate, we realized that WE BOTH WERE PLAYING A TITELIST 3, AND WE BOTH MARK OUR BALLS WITH A BLACK DOT ON EITHER SIDE OF THE NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine the odds. ??????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom Burns said:
Well, it was certainly poor customer service after the incident. But I'm wondering:

You said the tire (sorry tyre) seemed flat when you went to pick it up. Why didn't you point this out at the time?

Secondly, perhaps it picked up a nail between the shop and where they parked it. It IS conceivable that the car was fine on the test drive, or when i was in the shop. I'm not trying to dispute what you have said, only suggesting the possibility.

I learned to keep an open mind after a furious argument grrrrrrrwith another golfer over who's ball he was going to play. After much heated debate, we realized that WE BOTH WERE PLAYING A TITELIST 3, AND WE BOTH MARK OUR BALLS WITH A BLACK DOT ON EITHER SIDE OF THE NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine the odds. ??????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the message and I understand where you are coming from, but....

I drove the car a very short 3/10ths of a mile and it felt a little odd and I thought quickly that there was tire problem. I am glad I did have that feeling..... It was raining quite hard and the dealer is located next to entrance ramp to freeway and I was already on it and that is when I definitely knew something was wrong and pulled over immediately.

Dealer has no flatbed truck. I could have easily walked back to the dealer....it was that close.... could see the place for pete's sake...

If I had not proceeded cautiously and got on it on the ramp I would of had real problems....so I was alert at least.....the car definitely was given to me with the flat.....and since it was the valve stem which had to have failed in their hands...as valve stem leaks usually are a quick thing.....and I would have had it in the morning when I dropped the car....

Generally I walk around the car after every service to inspect for scratches, etc....I usually handwash my car before I take to any service as a habit, so I know condition of the car..... and I actually did the day wash it the day before when it was not raining.......oh well.....the sidewall of the S03 was so hard, held the car up, it had zero air pressure when I used my compressor, which enabled me to also diagnose the valve stem issue and the rim was okay which was good at least for the next owner....drove the C4s today......nice car.....as is the M5 and I will miss the board......although I do have a $ 1,000 deposit and sit # 2 on the list for the new M5, so, who knows, I might be back........but at this point I will ask for deposit back and go to another dealer if I venture into M5 land again.....I do have the X5, so will switch dealers with that car's service.....thanks for the thoughts...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCM said:
Wow, I am sorry to hear about the troubles with the BMW dealer. Unfortunately, many business do not value customer service when they do not need to offer it to move product. Hope you enjoy your C4S, what options does it have?
Car is loaded with basically everything, was 96k sticker in 2003 and bought it with 12,509 miles for $ 75K.....car is very fresh......not a ding or scratch......a real beauty and matches with my 993 cab nicely in the garage......X 5 will have to do as far as bimmer....thanks for the kind words !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts