BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the story:

Looking for a replacement wheel for the front. Found a seller.

Sold me an 'original M5 wheel'. Shipped it and I paid for it COD.

Upon inspection it appears to have been repainted- the silver is 'rough' and not as shiny/translucent as the stock. It is brighter than stock, not the black 'low lights'...

He's a member. His response was “Hmmm
I hadnt really ever mounted them so I guess I wouldn't know. Well let me
know what you want to do”

I said I wanted to return it, or he could kick me back some $$ for refinishing.

Cost to refinish properly is $220 plus shipping.

Wheel cost me $315 (inlcuded two tires, 1999 and 2000 vintage - and they'd been tracked, and shipping)

What would be an equitable resolution? Opinions please..

I know I have zero leverage...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
See if he will refund the money. The wheel could not be "original" if its color is so off. Maybe you could offer to cover the shipping back to him as a way of acknowledging his "innocence"- since if thats the case he (or she?) bought it and thought it was an original wheel too.

·
10,458 Posts
Keep in mind, if you were to refinish this wheel again, it would likely not match your wheels. You'd be better off returning this one and trying to find an "original" wheel.
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I haven't seen the wheel, and I don't know the circumstances of the sale, but isn't it possible that different production lots of wheels have different colors? The last time I saw a 2000 M5, the wheels looked different from my '03, and I asked the owner if they had been refinished, to which he replied "no".

I guess it also depends on the purpose of this wheel. If it's just a spare, it shouldn't matter. But, if it's to match the current 3 because of a damaged front or scratched front, then you should get it fixed or send it back...

JMHO.

I'd probably just ask for a refund and leave it at that.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was an honest mistake... just received a note from them so it looks like the wheel goes back.

Which once again leaves me with a need for a flippin' wheel!

:(

A

PS Any issues with using a 275 on one side up front and a 245 on the other- JUST UNTIL I CAN LOCATE ANOTHER REAR RIM. Maybe a week or two.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In researching this, the stock finish is a black powder coat followed by a silver highlight coat and then a clear coat. Wheel collision center in PA will recreate this. The recommend sending a 'sample wheel' along to match...

The wheel I received just has silver paint- no clearcoat, no under coat...

Oh well, it will all work out.

A

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Ard, for the love of everything holy do not run staggered tires up front, even if its for a week. Rent a car for the week. Having a situation like that can be very dangerous, especially if you need to panic brake for some reason. Not a safe or prudent thing to do. [/RANT] Sorry to be a little over the top there.
Sorry to hear the deal fizzled out. My bud had a problem a few years ago when trying to buy some rims, and thankfully the same thing happened to him; the seller took them back. Good luck finding another rear rim!
:cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BmwNut said:
Ard, for the love of everything holy do not run staggered tires up front, even if its for a week. Rent a car for the week. Having a situation like that can be very dangerous, especially if you need to panic brake for some reason. Not a safe or prudent thing to do. [/RANT] Sorry to be a little over the top there.
:cheers:
Yeah, I wasn't thinking... plus I needed to hear it.

I'll drive the F250 4x4 diesel for the week. Just get out of my way!

·
10,458 Posts
ard said:
In researching this, the stock finish is a black powder coat followed by a silver highlight coat and then a clear coat. Wheel collision center in PA will recreate this. The recommend sending a 'sample wheel' along to match...

The wheel I received just has silver paint- no clearcoat, no under coat...

Oh well, it will all work out.

A
So you send two wheels, the wheel to be refinished and the sample, right? You might want to call pacific rims, in pittsburg, ca (area code is 925, if you want to 411 it). The local bay area bmw dealers use them for this. As i had mentioned, they did one of the wheels on the car i bought, by itself it looked great, on the car with an original wheel, it was just a touch darker (looked like brake dust from a distance). Maybe with a sample, they can get a closer match *(i.e. perfect, mine was close but noticable)
Mike

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I too have heard that wheels can differ in finish depending on the "batch" which is why they are so difficult to match once one gets dinged or so...

Sample wheel to a refinishing shop will help for sure.. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts