BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, long time lurker but rarely post.

However, I have been looking at M5's for a bit, the intended use is as a daily driver and I will put a lot of highway miles on it.

I had been looking at 01's and 02's, preferrably ones with higher miles but clean service records, as with my intended use, paying a premium for reduced miles isn't going to benefit me much.

However I ran accross this add on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565981497&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:MT:17

The rock chips don't bother me as much, as I have qualified friends who can do a respray for me easily, and with the driving I do, they'll be back in no time anyway, the thing that interests me is that it appears a lot of major services have been done recently, I don't see much else that should go wrong for another 50-60k miles. However I don't know everything, I'm wondering if the items listed are even worth 12k, and if there are other things to look at. The benefit is I can use the 10-15k savings to buy a nice ducati (been lusting for one ever since I got rid of my R6), but would rather have a car that is straight with few stories.

Any opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Shakazulu12 said:
Hello folks, long time lurker but rarely post.

However, I have been looking at M5's for a bit, the intended use is as a daily driver and I will put a lot of highway miles on it.

I had been looking at 01's and 02's, preferrably ones with higher miles but clean service records, as with my intended use, paying a premium for reduced miles isn't going to benefit me much.

However I ran accross this add on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565981497&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:MT:17

The rock chips don't bother me as much, as I have qualified friends who can do a respray for me easily, and with the driving I do, they'll be back in no time anyway, the thing that interests me is that it appears a lot of major services have been done recently, I don't see much else that should go wrong for another 50-60k miles. However I don't know everything, I'm wondering if the items listed are even worth 12k, and if there are other things to look at. The benefit is I can use the 10-15k savings to buy a nice ducati (been lusting for one ever since I got rid of my R6), but would rather have a car that is straight with few stories.

Any opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated.
That seems like a fine deal. I would have someone independent check it out - but the mileage should not be a worry. There have been numerous threads on high mileage M5's running around. I think another 50K miles is very reasonable for a well maintained car. This is not even extraordinary mileage for a 5 yr. old vehicle. I am in LA, so if this guy is close, I could always look at it for you and recommend an independent mechanic to evaluate the car. I would ask for service records and/or run the VIN through a BMW dealer to check it out. Otherwise, go for it at this price.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the offer!! I am awaiting a call back from the seller now, we'll see how it goes from here, I'm calling my local dealership to have them run the VIN as well.

Any other feedback is always appreciated!

mamsterla said:
That seems like a fine deal. I would have someone independent check it out - but the mileage should not be a worry. There have been numerous threads on high mileage M5's running around. I think another 50K miles is very reasonable for a well maintained car. This is not even extraordinary mileage for a 5 yr. old vehicle. I am in LA, so if this guy is close, I could always look at it for you and recommend an independent mechanic to evaluate the car. I would ask for service records and/or run the VIN through a BMW dealer to check it out. Otherwise, go for it at this price.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the car is located in Van Nuys, any chance you know a good shop down there? I spoke with the seller a bit ago, he was very straightup and knowledgable about the car and took the time to point out a few minor items that couldn't be seen in the photos, and he was open to the inspection. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

mamsterla said:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Shakazulu12 said:
It looks like the car is located in Van Nuys, any chance you know a good shop down there? I spoke with the seller a bit ago, he was very straightup and knowledgable about the car and took the time to point out a few minor items that couldn't be seen in the photos, and he was open to the inspection. Any Help would be greatly appreciated!
I work not too far away. I know of an independent named Monaco Motors that seems to have a good rep. I could always meet the owner there and watch the inspection or talk with the shop owner. Shop site here. Let me know about timing and stuff. I can bring a digital camera and take photos of anything that the owner told you about.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, I'm supposed to be coordinating some times with the seller tomorrow hopefully. I will definately let you know. Again, thank you so much! Any way I can repay you?

mamsterla said:
I work not too far away. I know of an independent named Monaco Motors that seems to have a good rep. I could always meet the owner there and watch the inspection or talk with the shop owner. Shop site here. Let me know about timing and stuff. I can bring a digital camera and take photos of anything that the owner told you about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.