BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuse 57?

My key fob went dead (slowly), so I read through this thread, put it on a Sonic charger; and it works fine now.

However, I can't find the fuse that would control the charging of the fob in the ignition. Everything I can find, including the sticker in the trunk, says fuse #57 is for the telephone, and is a 10A, not 7.5A.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a somewhat related note...Has anyone had or heard of problems with the little inductive ring in the ignition not charging keys? Mine appears not to be working. Replaced the ignition switch already but I still have the problem. I've also successfully changed the battery in the keyfob following one of the tutorials on here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After trying the Sonic charger and still no results, decided to open the key. Just to find that the battery is still good, but the + tab broke off on the battery, just 1mm above the solder. Long term vibration of the batttery in the case made the tab to break from fatigue.
Since I already purchased a new battery, I install it, but the original 17 years old was still at 2.93 V !

·
Registered
66 Posts
HTML:
My key fob went dead (slowly), so I read through this thread, put it on a Sonic charger; and it works fine now.

However, I can't find the fuse that would control the charging of the fob in the ignition. Everything I can find, including the sticker in the trunk, says fuse #57 is for the telephone, and is a 10A, not 7.5A.
Same thing here as my key is dead....

Can anyone take a picture of the exact fuse that is needed to check ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update to this post. My fob failed again, and I followed this process to no avail. Checked the fuse, it was OK, did the induction charging, no signal, and it did not fade over time before failing like the last time.

Decided to try initializing the keys, worked like a charm, here is the process https://youtu.be/aje2eoDg5v8

No idea why it unpaired. I did have the car up on jacks waiting for a part to come in or a few days, perhaps it triggered something. Anyway, all is well now, and range is super because the fob sat on an induction charger for a day.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just wanted to revive this thread with a question/idea. There is a lot of discussion regarding wireless chargers from cell phones and toothbrushes being able to charge the diamond key. Some people have success with them, others not. I was reading about about how our key works (How to Recharge Your BMW Remote Key - BMW Inductive Battery Charging) and it appears that every time you start the car the key actually send battery charge status to the car computer. I am curious if anyone has been able to read this charge status using some kind of software. Seeing an actual charge level would be very helpful in evaluating these various charging methods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just wanted to revive this thread with a question/idea. There is a lot of discussion regarding wireless chargers from cell phones and toothbrushes being able to charge the diamond key. Some people have success with them, others not. I was reading about about how our key works (How to Recharge Your BMW Remote Key - BMW Inductive Battery Charging) and it appears that every time you start the car the key actually send battery charge status to the car computer. I am curious if anyone has been able to read this charge status using some kind of software. Seeing an actual charge level would be very helpful in evaluating these various charging methods.
I’m curious if my ikea Qi charger would work. It does have a status light when you place something on it to let you know it’s charging. Now to get a BMW with one of these keys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
Double_n,
That is an interesting idea but I doubt that it would work. I believe that modern phones that use wireless charging are actually in a communication with the charger, so there is some information exchange and the charger then show status as charging. The BMW key will not communicate with a Qi charger. That is why I think that having a factory software that can show the charge status of the key is particularly helpful.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts