BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm Just piping in on what seems to be an on going problem with Cars that have a lot of power drain while sitting around and not being driven.

Any newer modern day cars that have several computers and fresh air blower systems that are not being driven for say 3 or 4 days should be trickle charged by a well made AUTOMATIC FLOAT charger to keep the battery up to full voltage to prevent any low power alarms from happening , these alarms might not be set as low battery power, but just problems that arise from a battery having lower than 13.6 Volts....accross the posts.....This may seem too much work and a pain in the neck problem to deal with but i think it is a small price to pay for having a trouble free day of driving once in awhile.
A real nice Battery charging system on the market and cheaper than the BMW model, is "The Battery Tender" a simple transformer that plugs into the face plate of a receptacle and it is a no brainer to use it is totally automatic and can stay connected forever with no worry till you need your car for driving..The Battery tender also comes with a set of leads, so you can hard wire it to the battery and just plug into it when needed.....I think it is better than using the Alligator clips it also comes with...You can hook up at the battery or up front by the Jumping posts under the hood, yes it is TRUE you can hook onto either place and it will charge fine...
Well just a thought to make your life with the "M" a little easier...
. Cheers....UFH.:2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Yep.

I bought a trickle charger from Lowes earlier in the year and in 3 months time, it died. Paying a few bucks extra for a good charger seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the info....

Cheers ///

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do love this board even though I have been called "Very Naughty" I'm waiting for a good Spankin...from Gustav honey, he is so cute.....Huggs and Kisses Gustav baby

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hope this is helpful...

Reactions: vexed

·
Registered
86 Posts
Based on your and others advice I bought a Battery Tender Jr. I was traveling for a week, charged the battery before I left and am charging it again now. I try to charge it every week since I don't drive many miles and some weeks it is not driven at all if I am going to the airport etc.

Am I the only one that closes the trunk while doing this? The wire does not seem to get too beat up.ouich

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Our E60s are energy vampires when sitting. A friend with a non-M model, left her's sitting for 6 weeks without trickle charging. The car had no pulse when she tried to start it.

With no charger available, per dealership instructions, I let the the dead battery charge via jumpers for 30 minutes before it would fire up, then drove it at highway speeds for 45 minutes. Battery still had to be given last rites.

The Battery Tender UFH mentions does the job at a reasonable price. :thumbsup:

Better batteries are sold for our cars: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110068

Vexed - use the remote terminals under the hood for charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts