BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
2,089 Posts
I'm pretty sure pressure targets are the same for both US and euro smg tunes. Target pressures are temp-dependent tho. Did you take fluid temperature into account when doing your tests?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was watching the temp, rise of course. As I went through each setting I would allow it to cycle a few times to confirm the pressures. When I got home in the driveway with hot oil the pressures were the same as when I started for a given setting.

If you have a map of settings to look at that would be interesting to compare with my observations. If the pressure sensor were bias that would effect the system. When I did a bleed down it did drop to 1.5bar which is pretty close considering the range.

·
2,089 Posts
Have you seen this?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have not seen that. It's way above my level of programming. It seems like they were just doing it to do it no real reason that I could see?

I took a closer look at the cooling and there are already two ports in the under-body to feed air to both sides of the transmission. Some of the heat shielding for the exhaust was bent and obstructed the air flow, I corrected that.

I went for another drive yesterday, INPA running in the passenger seat. More bars more pressure, S6 cycling is frequent. It was a causal drive and cool with some rain. Temp was up to 83c at the end of the drive and the cycle time in S4 was 15sec. Has anyone else watched there pressures and temperatures on the SMG?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah I always have great plans for videos and data collection. Then I get to the track and just drive, Wednesday. Happy Independence day!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I made it to the track today. The short story is the transmission faulted again. S3 the whole time.
Now the long story,
I arrived at 1100 but did not go on the track until 1220 so the car had time to cool off. I have had no faults on the street since going back to the US SMG tune. I went out for about 20 minutes with no problems. I came in to check an set the tire pressures with the car running. As soon as I got 1/2 lap back on the track the trans faulted.
I drove off the track at about 1pm and let the car cool off until 2:20. Went out with the temp at 80c and ran 20 minutes just fine(temp at 104c). Let the car cool off for about 20 minutes and headed back out for the final run. Got about 15 minutes in and got another trans fault.
I was pretty happy with my time on the track and called it a day. The next order of business is going to be the accumulator and clutch solenoid.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts