BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. Driving the beast today to work made me think what could be done to increase this beast's capabilities without losing the N/A response time(by finely tuning the turbos) and purely addictive throttle response & linear power build. I know it has been done before somewhere in Norway where they de-stroked the v10 to 4.8L and added two turbos, did a few tests then actually managed to install them inside the M5 body and ran a 6.35 second in the 1/4" at the dragstrip. My intention would be to de-stroke it by sleeving to 3.8L and adding two turbos, this would of course lower the compression ratio and it would probably still hit the 500 mark on bhp with some well thought out tuning, headers,intake, meth/water to keep it extra frosty. And of course.. add two turbos which should put the car at a reliable 1000whp on forged internals. Changing out body panels with all carbon fiber made body panels to reduce weight by roughly 300kg making the car weigh 1551 kg. Currently the e60 m5 weighs exactly 1859 kg. weighed it at work on one of our truck platforms.

Anyone wanna fill in how this could be a beautiful thing or do you think it is complete day-dreaming to achieve this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Step away from the Playstation controller.

I mean, anything's possible with unlimited funds, time, and talent, but would anyone really spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or a toy project like this? Might be a different story if there was some kind of marketable application that fell out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Step away from the Playstation controller.

I mean, anything's possible with unlimited funds, time, and talent, but would anyone really spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or a toy project like this? Might be a different story if there was some kind of marketable application that fell out of it.
LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sleeving is not de-stroking. Just sayin....
Yes I know. It would need a lot of re-engineering & tuning & money thrown into it. de-stroking is when you change the travel distance of the crankshaft by using a different crankshaft.. That would need to be done if sleeving took place.. amongst a ****-ton of other stuff. Definitely a big project.. but with the right dedication, I might just get it done. I do plan to keep the e60 m5 6-speed life long.. even if I will be going electric when the time comes, will always hold on to this beast for the glorious music of old. V10 <3

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are zero turbo kits available for the S85 of any kind currently, and you're asking about the plausibility of reengineering the whole motor in addition to fabbing a twin turbo set up?

If you have the time and money to burn, I'd try getting some beijing blowdriers / shanghai spoolie bois / nagasaki noisemakers actually working with it before dropping compression and volume.

I'd actually be interested in a proper turbo set up or a positive displacement supercharger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Changing out body panels with all carbon fiber made body panels to reduce weight by roughly 300kg making the car weigh 1551 kg. Currently the e60 m5 weighs exactly 1859 kg. weighed it at work on one of our truck platforms.
While everyone else jumps on the engine mods... you sure about that 300kg? The original panels aren't all steel - some plastic, some aluminium, some mixed... and sure, some steel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts