BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - when I ordered the M5 I had the option of deleting the spoiler (which I did not opt for) but there wasn't a debadging option. Maybe I am just thinking to european? I will want to remove the M5 emblem from the trunk so I assume I am stuck with fishing line and a hairdrier? any other BTDT to help out there?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I asked my dealer the same question and he said they would remove them for me by basically using the same technique, dental floss and a hair dryer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to hide the fact that the car is what it is. Just don't need the astentacious (sp?) side of it. An officianado is one thing but try driving up to your fiendly car dealer in an M5 and negotiating! I'd rather show up to the Aston Martin dealer in my pickup and be pegged as eccentric. Besides - most folks that de-badge try to hide that their car is a bit less than what they wish it was - HEY maybe I am eccentric!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
De-badging is pretty common over here.

Personally, I love the idea that my B5 will look almost identical to a 520d from the rear - someone would have to spot the bigger pipes and wider tyres. Or notice that the car howls into the distance like nothing they've seen before...

Having said that, what I wouldn't do for a 4-pipe setup...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hythe,

Speaking of B5s, I would love to know how it drives! I am considering importing an Alpina into the US (a B6 when it's out this spring) and am very curious.. What about the interior? I do recall reading that it is similar in price to a M5, is this correct?

john

P.S. Please no flack about importing etc. We'll cross that bridge when we get there..kinggf

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You're a brave man indeed to attempt to import one of those - rumour has it, however, that Alpina will be returning to the US in the not so distant future.

I've only driven an E60 B5 once, in less than ideal conditions, so I can't tell you quite how monstrous the performance is. The ride was noticeably better than my 530iSE, however. Haven't tried an M5 yet, so can't compare the two.

I'm hopefully picking up my own B5, the very first customer E61 car, next month. Will be able to tell you more after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts