BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want a silky smooth transmission, manuals are never smooth until you master them and when you do you still have to be precise and when that happens its very rewarding. do you think the smoothness of the DCT transmission will take away from the driving experience all together. will there be neck snapping S6 gear shifts as in SMG or will it just feel like an auto since the next gear will be selected and no power loss and very smoth without mastering. yes it might be faster than SMG and probably get you 1/10 faster to the quarter mile but will it detract from the overall driving experience?

there is still a big debate about 6-speed vs SMG but for me you still have to master both to appreciate their strengths and weaknesses.

I could be wrong but I feel that the new DCT will feel like your changing gears on playstation - just like in the new movie with Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey - when she asked where did you learn to fly his response playstation :hihi:

let the new debate begin

·
Registered
881 Posts
Based on the DSG tranny in my son's Gti I believe the new DCT tranny will be as smooth as it, and unlike the SMG, the 'thumps in the back' at high revs in S5/S6 will be minimised, if felt at all.

Some might miss this abruptness, BUT one could counter that the benefits of the DCT in all round usage will compensate. I think it won't detract from the experience of the car, and the increased usability of the 'Auto' mode will enable BMW to sell many more M vehicles.

Bish

·
Registered
994 Posts
Based on the DSG tranny in my son's Gti I believe the new DCT tranny will be as smooth as it, and unlike the SMG, the 'thumps in the back' at high revs in S5/S6 will be minimised, if felt at all.

Some might miss this abruptness, BUT one could counter that the benefits of the DCT in all round usage will compensate. I think it won't detract from the experience of the car, and the increased usability of the 'Auto' mode will enable BMW to sell many more M vehicles.

Bish
Since one clutch does gears 1,3,5 and 7 and the other 2,4 and 6, can a DSG system skip through two gears (ie. an odd gear to an odd gear) as quick as our SMGIII?

Either way, I like the connectivity we have with a true manual (minus the manual clutch of course)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the press release it said it can but don't know how fast

·
Registered
520 Posts

Bish

I can't wait for the new gearbox. It will fix the car's worst feature - the hopeless auto mode. Now all they need to do is junk the I-Drive and we'll have perfection.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the feel will definitely be gone, my dad has a GTI and it shifts SMOOOTH. I just got it chipped for his christmas gift so it has something like 280 HP now, which is a lot in a little car like that, but the shifts are still smooth as glass. It isnt so much of a shift as it is a sudden very quick noise change and suddenly more acceleration. It will definitely improve the regular drive dynamics but as far as the raw jerkyness that we all have come to love, it will most definitely be gone. Its just not the same and not as fun. Also I dont know if it is just the compression of the smaller engine or the transmission isnt as heavy duty as in the GTI but downshifting into 1st or 2nd at 40mph in the M5 really gets you to slow down, but doing it in the GTI all that happens is the revs instantly jump, even if the jump is near redline, and you dont slow down that fast. In the M its like you smashed the brakes like a true manual... anyways that is my two cents.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think for some buyers this might be a case of "be careful what you wish for." I personally would definitely miss the more interactive feel of the SMG.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
No, the MDCT will not be souless like DSG, BMW calls it out in their press release.

What it will feel like, I have no idea, but no wheel chirp from 2-3 means souless in my books :1:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Isnt that because of the larger engine in the BMW M5 s well?:dunno:

if it is just the compression of the smaller engine or the transmission isnt as heavy duty as in the GTI but downshifting into 1st or 2nd at 40mph in the M5 really gets you to slow down, but doing it in the GTI all that happens is the revs instantly jump, even if the jump is near redline, and you dont slow down that fast. In the M its like you smashed the brakes like a true manual... anyways that is my two cents.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also I dont know if it is just the compression of the smaller engine or the transmission isnt as heavy duty as in the GTI but downshifting into 1st or 2nd at 40mph in the M5 really gets you to slow down, but doing it in the GTI all that happens is the revs instantly jump, even if the jump is near redline, and you dont slow down that fast. In the M its like you smashed the brakes like a true manual... anyways that is my two cents.
I know what you're talking about. I was driving my friend's 1993 Mustang GT a few years back and downshifted from 3rd to 2nd for a stop light and noticed the revs sort of spiked, but my driving speed wasn't much affected. Whereas, in my E28 M5 when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, with no brakes, my driving speed is affected just as if I was braking lightly in 3rd. I'm thinkin it's a BMW thing :goldcup:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think DCT is praised so much more than SMG because one does not need to work hard to make it shift smoothly. An SMG can deliver very smooth shifts, but one must also lift from the throttle at the appropriate time to do this, similar to in a manual transmission car. Personally, I do not like the current trend of dual clutch transmissions. They do give excellent 1/4th mile times etc., and they are smooth (I know this appeals to many), but I see them partly as an attempt to make M cars more user friendly, at the expense of offering a transmission with similar feel to a three pedal car.

I believe the SMG III is perfect for the M5 (or any M car), because it offers unbelievably fast shift times, while still retaining much of the feel of a true manual transmission. I truly wish that car companies were not ditching single-clutch sequential transmissions in replace for twin clutch setups.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I dont know if it is just the compression of the smaller engine or the transmission isnt as heavy duty as in the GTI but downshifting into 1st or 2nd at 40mph in the M5 really gets you to slow down, but doing it in the GTI all that happens is the revs instantly jump, even if the jump is near redline, and you dont slow down that fast. In the M its like you smashed the brakes like a true manual...
It's the difference of having a high compression V10 under the hood. Makes for a ton of compression braking.

I've had a chance to drive a DCT equipped M3 Sedan, and I was more than impressed.

In my opinion, the DCT has almost all of the SMG's positive points, but none of the bad points.

I never had the chance to test the DCT in S6, but I can tell you even S5 had much of the "kick" the SMG S6 has. It still feels like it was slammed into gear it just doesn't have the noise the SMG has.

With the SMG, S6 is "waaaaaaaah - BAM! - waaaaaaah."

With the DCT, S5 was "waaaaahah-waaaaaah" - but you still were launched back into the seat upon execution of the shift.

In automatic mode, the DCT drives JUST like an automatic transmission. The only thing it may do is the little "clunk" if you punch it and let off before the clutch fully disengages, just as the SMG does.

The one thing I did miss with SMG was that manual feel when you were driving around slowly in S mode. I personally liked the "lull" between the shifts like a traditional manual that the SMG has. The DCT has none of this.

Even so, I'd happily trade the SMG for the DCT any date of the week.

Also, if I'm not mistaken the DCT downshifts only as quickly as the SMG - it's the upshifts where it is much quicker. This is because the DCT is always in the next upper gear anticipating upshifts, so when you initiate a downshift it actually has to shift, no matter what gear you are in.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i don't want a silky smooth transmission, manuals are never smooth until you master them and when you do you still have to be precise and when that happens its very rewarding. Do you think the smoothness of the dct transmission will take away from the driving experience all together. Will there be neck snapping s6 gear shifts as in smg or will it just feel like an auto since the next gear will be selected and no power loss and very smoth without mastering. Yes it might be faster than smg and probably get you 1/10 faster to the quarter mile but will it detract from the overall driving experience?

There is still a big debate about 6-speed vs smg but for me you still have to master both to appreciate their strengths and weaknesses.

I could be wrong but i feel that the new dct will feel like your changing gears on playstation - just like in the new movie with kate hudson and matthew mcconaughey - when she asked where did you learn to fly his response playstation :hihi:

Let the new debate begin
you are 10000000% right, i know its faster but no feel!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think for some buyers this might be a case of "be careful what you wish for." I personally would definitely miss the more interactive feel of the SMG.

The interactive feel is something that I really enjoy on the car, and would miss it, I believe. I'm sure there are benefits to the new tranny, but the SMG is nearly perfect in experience (except for the "clunks")

·
Registered
742 Posts
Having just bought for my wife a brand new A5 cabrio s tronic (DSG) I have to agree with Revo.
This is the latest generation of DSG.
The speed the thing changes gears is incredible and to just love driving is around just because of the way it changes gears.
So b.....y fast.
I only wish our smg was as fast.
Basically you have all the advantages of the SMG with out the jerkiness.
Can you just imagine if we could have had this tranny on our M's????
They would be real killers!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The interactive feel is something that I really enjoy on the car, and would miss it, I believe. I'm sure there are benefits to the new tranny, but the SMG is nearly perfect in experience (except for the "clunks")

LOL I posted that before I test drove an M3 with DCT last year. Yes, it doesn't have the same manual feeling as the SMG, but I was most impressed with the immediacy of the shifts. Given that there is absolutely no loss of momentum when shifting, this clearly makes a car faster than with SMG. My first impression was quite positive, but the lingering question is whether over time one would become bored with this transmission. This would be a great question for the E90 M3 Forum.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My experience:
DCT = play station
SMG3 = real men

DCT is fast and smooth, like a fast automatic transmission. I just didn't care about using the paddles any longer. Boring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
With the SMG, S6 is "waaaaaaaah - BAM! - waaaaaaah."

Priceless.... I saw a video of SMG in action.. it sounded just like that too! I have some hard decisions to make.. but thanks!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
""With the SMG, S6 is "waaaaaaaah - BAM! - waaaaaaah."""

this is the comment of the century....
LOL I never thought my onomatopoeia would be such a hit. :biggrinbounce:

To be clear though - I love the bam. Wouldn't be half as fun without it. :wroom:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts