BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up my White E92 with the new DCT and after 400 miles I am very impressed. The transmission really adds to the new dynamics of the V8 engine. The DCT is very smooth and extremely fast. My only complaint is that the first gear take up is a tad heavy and dull compared to the SMG or Ferrari F1 system. But once it gets going, it is unbelievable!

I have had every generation of the M3 series and this one is just as exciting with even more power. Although definitely heavier than the previous generations, BMW has done a fantastic job of masking the new car's weight with their fantastic suspension and excellent steering feel. It is a bit more civilized during normal driving but press the M-button and a whole new animal comes out to play.

Overall, very impressive!

Happy Motoring,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

·
Registered
994 Posts
I finally picked up my White E92 with the new DCT and after 400 miles I am very impressed. The transmission really adds to the new dynamics of the V8 engine. The DCT is very smooth and extremely fast. My only complaint is that the first gear take up is a tad heavy and dull compared to the SMG or Ferrari F1 system. But once it gets going, it is unbelievable!

I have had every generation of the M3 series and this one is just as exciting with even more power. Although definitely heavier than the previous generations, BMW has done a fantastic job of masking the new car's weight with their fantastic suspension and excellent steering feel. It is a bit more civilized during normal driving but press the M-button and a whole new animal comes out to play.

Happy Motoring,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT
Wow, any pics of your garage? Immense collection. :cheers:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, So DCT is the one to have over manual then?
My answer is a resounding yes, but to be honest I have never been a big fan of the BMW clutch and gearbox.

Best,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, any pics of your garage? Immense collection. :cheers:
Here's a few picturesof the CGT, GT2, RS and M3 for now.

Best,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Amir number two

What up buddy. Im another Amir from the Washington DC, also with an Alpine White 2008 M3 Coupe, Fox red int, M DCT, fully loaded. Bought not leased. It's 2 weeks old today. Just trying to break it in with that first 1,250 mile so i can really see what this car is about. So far, I love it. Most incredible car i know of. Only 2 complaints to BMW. 1.) the iPOD mp3 connect is really just out of date. I expected more from BMW. No graphics of albums fom iTunes, no iPhone/iPod capability, no tract fastforwarding for my 2 hour sets. Very Atari like technology for such a repectable car. This is 2008, BMW needs to step it up in the audio-tech -navigation department. 2.) I am very disappointed in the advertising and hype of this car. Lexus/Merc/Audi have all put out great tv ads that i see frequently. The M3 has one (very gay ad) that aired like once. BMWusa.com front page has had the ad for the 1-series up for almost 2 months. Come on, step it up guys! show your BEST, not the one-series. I understand that "M" is not for the average U.S. human but i want our new car hyped.

Today i heard BMW will be releasing the new model M5 in 2011. I'll be honest....i'm a bit upset by this. I wanted the top M car for at least a solid 3 years before it pasted as just above-average. Looks like i need to start saving my dollars for 2010. And i know understand why everyone at the dealership highly recommended leasing the M3. Oh well, enjoy life in the moment!

·
Registered
994 Posts
What up buddy. Im another Amir from the Washington DC, also with an Alpine White 2008 M3 Coupe, Fox red int, M DCT, fully loaded. Bought not leased. It's 2 weeks old today. Just trying to break it in with that first 1,250 mile so i can really see what this car is about. So far, I love it. Most incredible car i know of. Only 2 complaints to BMW. 1.) the iPOD mp3 connect is really just out of date. I expected more from BMW. No graphics of albums fom iTunes, no iPhone/iPod capability, no tract fastforwarding for my 2 hour sets. Very Atari like technology for such a repectable car. This is 2008, BMW needs to step it up in the audio-tech -navigation department. 2.) I am very disappointed in the advertising and hype of this car. Lexus/Merc/Audi have all put out great tv ads that i see frequently. The M3 has one (very gay ad) that aired like once. BMWusa.com front page has had the ad for the 1-series up for almost 2 months. Come on, step it up guys! show your BEST, not the one-series. I understand that "M" is not for the average U.S. human but i want our new car hyped.

Today i heard BMW will be releasing the new model M5 in 2011. I'll be honest....i'm a bit upset by this. I wanted the top M car for at least a solid 3 years before it pasted as just above-average. Looks like i need to start saving my dollars for 2010. And i know understand why everyone at the dealership highly recommended leasing the M3. Oh well, enjoy life in the moment!
The airport ads for the M3 are great.

Agree the navi in BMW's is useless. I love the Premium sound.

I bought too, I always do.

Where did you hear 2011 date for the next gen M5?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you. Fantastic taste you have.

Best,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I agree! The best way to describe it is to try it :7:

Amir, than kyou for the review!

Happy Motoring,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Amir, now that is just gorgeous! That you already have received the 997 GT2 is impressive. Many congratulations to you!

CGT vs 996GT2 for reference (Im the passenger in the GT2 :eek:). Also, I drove the CGT and it is my dream car now. I want one :biggrinbounce: Soe easyu and effortless to drive, and not loud inside but music ´to the outside.

Best,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT

·
Registered
28 Posts
The airport ads for the M3 are great.

Agree the navi in BMW's is useless. I love the Premium sound.

I bought too, I always do.

Where did you hear 2011 date for the next gen M5?
autocar.co.uk had a 2-3 page spread in last weeks issue with CGI's of the prospected 2011 'F10' M5. Lots of other magazine's have also predicted 2011 as the release year for the next generation M5. I'm already saving!!!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I look forward to test this new gearbox as well and see how well it suits the driving environment here.

Amir, that's one very special garage of yours. The question really is how do you decide which one to drive, especially between those three special Carrera's of yours?

Cheers.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
WHat did the article state?

autocar.co.uk had a 2-3 page spread in last weeks issue with CGI's of the prospected 2011 'F10' M5. Lots of other magazine's have also predicted 2011 as the release year for the next generation M5. I'm already saving!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well there's a CGI of the M5 said to be based on information gathered from sources close to the next 5-series project but I wouldn't go on this image alone cause as we know design language is more than likely to change.

Stats are: updated V10 bored out to 5.5L with approx. 550bhp to keep the fabled 100bhp/litre class benchmark that's become synonymous with M motors but interestingly they hint at the strong possibility of direct injection using turbochargers to reduce emmisions. If so this will be aided by the addition of the expected Efficient Dynamics programme (stop-start technology, disconnecting alternator, brake-energy regeneration etc.) and the brilliant new 7-speed M DCT as standard with the option of a 6-speed manual to boost economy. Also lightweight construction and 0-60 in the low 4's is expected.

They say it will go up against Jaguar's 500bhp 5.0L V8 supercharged XFR and AMG's next (re-engineered) E63 AMG with about 530bhp and costing from £70,000.

A very short online version can be read at, http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/232600/

·
Registered
959 Posts
I wanted the top M car for at least a solid 3 years before it pasted as just above-average.
Well, considering the there are already two more expensive, more powerful M cars than the E92 M3...I'd say you picked the wrong car. :blink:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Best,

Amir
2008 E92 M3
2008 Audi S5
2008 Porsche GT2
2007 Porsche GT3RS
2006 Ferrari F430
2004 Porsche Carrera GT
What's your take on the GT2? Would love a personal opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The GT2 is amazing. Very smooth and very fast. To my surprise, it's not quite as raw as the RS but pretty close. Speed wise, it will keep up with the CGT once it spools up. Overall the 997 Chassis is extremely well balanced. It almost has a mid engined feel when compared to the light front end feel of the 996 GT2.

Best,

Amir

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The F10 M5 has to be 600 horsepower and the torque has to be close if not more then that mark.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The F10 M5 has to be 600 horsepower and the torque has to be close if not more then that mark.
Where did you hear this. I think your figures are off, especially with regard to torque. Adoption of DCT will see tq stay below 450lb/ft even if turbo (though I think it'll be a 5.5l NA), but if it's evenly spread then it's better than just bragging rights high peak anyways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts