BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 6'4" and 220lbs,so not a small guy.
Once inside the Aston first feeling was of roominess,much more space then the SL.It feels just huge for a convertible(especially after the 997),the fit and finish is on par with the SL600 but unbelievably well coordinated in colors,texture and feel when you touch the surfaces.It's almost overwhelming to sit in this car,so beautiful it is.Best comparison would be like you finally get a date with your dream Supermodel and up close she is even more stunning,so much that you stutter trying to say something.
But then you get to touch and explore that beautiful specimen and when you run your fingers over the contours of her exquisite body ,you get that tingle and the hairs on your back stand up(not just the hairs).
Every switch,every control button feels substantial,has a heft in touch,solidity and quality,there are some issues with the poor legibility of the radio/nav controls but i can get used to it.
Some people complained the rev counter going counter clockwise but I ny mind it just makes this car a little bit more original.
A little quirkiness gives it character.
Driving position:the best of any convertible I've driven(drove/had most of them),the steering wheel/seat has a perfect relations with my considerable size.(I have to stress:"perfect" for a convertible)
Then you start the engine(which is an immense pleasure in itself,pushing that jewel like Start button on the Dashboard) and you just listen for a while to probably one of the best sounds in business,a violent burst at first then settles to nice ,deep rumble at idle.
The throttle is very sensitive,the torque is right there,so you have to feather it not to embarass yourself by smoking the tires every time you move from a stop,it takes some getting used to but could be improved.
I know the #'s show SL55/600 to be faster but this car feels like Arabian Horse before the race,very sensitive ,jumpy,straining on the leash,feels like you don't have any limits of horsepower.
The steering has nice heft to it,some say it feel too heavy,I say BS to it,it's a car not a Lexus,very similar in feel to E28 M5 but slightly heavier.
I really like the Automatic in this car,the paddles shift faster then in the 997 and equal the F1 in Quattroporte,at the same time beating all trannies when in stop and go traffic.
At speed She shrinks around you,feels much lighter and nimbler then SL but with similar ride comfort,a really great combo of handling ,roadholding,composure over rough surfaces and overall smoothness.
In short,I think in the Volante form this car is more on target then the Coupe but that is my personal opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Beautiful car! :M5thumbs:

BTW, the latest Evo mag (august) gave the car 4 stars (out of 5). They liked the styling but criticised the chassis.
Apparently its chassis structure is not as rigid as the coupe version's chassis.

How does the chassis feel compared to your 997 cab, which Evo praised in their article.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Congratulations, what a stunning car! Couldn't make it out clearly from the pics, but what's the exterior color?

Happy motoring.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
997 does not feel more solid in my opinion,I have not experienced any noticeable cowl shake in the DB even on rail crossing.
Porsche feels much smaller and less substantial next to Aston,ride quality is in a different league ,too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A very good looking car. Didn't like the DB7 Volante but this one looks really good.
However, the kid on the right doesn't look to impressed :)

·
Registered
2020 X3 M - Donington Silver - Adelaide Grey
792 Posts
Absent, congratulations on a stunning looking car! Thank you also for providing us with a refreshing review by an actual owner (the magazines can be so critical of car's "character traits").

BTW, What options are on your DB9? The nice exterior colour is hard to make out, is it grey?
Enjoy :wroom:
Kevmmm

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I've seen quite a few coupes here in London but no convertibles yet. I agree it is a very beautiful car, albeit slightly 'softer' than the competitors. I'd certainly choose it over the others.

Did you check the headroom with the roof up? Also, how much space in the rear with the front seats in their regular position? Minor points I know, but you (& your wife) have to live with it.

Great little write up - thanks for sharing :cheers:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This particular example is a Dealer's loaner,taken on extended test drive,Grey metallic with natural leather,pretty much loaded.
My wife's car,Aspen Green (dark green) with dark Burgundy leather comes in late Winter.
Plenty of headroom for me(a little more then Coupe) with the top up,also the back seat for some reason seems slightly roomier then Coupe's(my 8 year old claims).
It's softer then the Coupe on rough road but it suits the character of this car ,since it is a proper Gran Turismo not a sports car like the 997S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts