BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this before but never found what I was looking for. I want to turn off my daytime running lights but since I'm located in Canada the dealer refuses to do it. I was wondering if there is a way to do this on my own. Perhaps an aftermarket solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I think it's just a fuse...

I think I'm taking the beast in for service soon, I can ask the tech then...unless somebody gets to it before me.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'm not sure it's just a fuse. The DRL feature is programmed in via the car's computer system and can be set so that each of your car's keys has a different setting. For example, key 1 could be set to have DRLs on, but key 2 could be set for DRLs off. The only way I know of to change this programming is to hook it up to the dealer's computer, as in setting the key options. Perhaps you could drive it to a U.S. dealer across the border and ask them to do it, but they might refuse, too, based on your car's Canadian tags if they know that DRLs are a legal requirement in Canada.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it's a programming thing too. That's why I was told it had to be done through the dealer.Currently I have just simply unplugged them, a temporary solution, because when they are unplugged the high beams don't work and an error message appears every time I'm in the car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Definitely programming - mine were turned off at the same time that my door locks were being re-programmed.

Assuming you want to turn them off solely for aesthetic reasons, if you end up not being able to turn them off, you might want to consider switching out your high beam bulbs for bulbs that more closely match the color of the xenon low beams (e.g. Sylvania Silverstar). You'll still have daytime running lights on, but at least they'll look better (IMO).

·
Registered
837 Posts
I dont have DTRL's was this a change after 2001? Josh

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WannaM5 said:
Definitely programming - mine were turned off at the same time that my door locks were being re-programmed. Assuming you want to turn them off solely for aesthetic reasons, if you end up not being able to turn them off, you might want to consider switching out your high beam bulbs for bulbs that more closely match the color of the xenon low beams (e.g. Sylvania Silverstar). You'll still have daytime running lights on, but at least they'll look better (IMO).
Swapping the bulbs out helps very little. I've tried two different types (PIAA and Silverstars) but at the reduced voltage they still looked yellow. Moving up from the U.S., I hated DRLs, did ask the dealer about turning them off via reprogramming and was told it was possible. Over the years however, I've come to appreciate them as a safety feature - my Silverstone car is not the most visible when I pull out to pass on a two-lane highway for example - so I now feel that being more visible is a good, not bad thing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
BKH said:
Over the years however, I've come to appreciate them as a safety feature - my Silverstone car is not the most visible when I pull out to pass on a two-lane highway for example - so I now feel that being more visible is a good, not bad thing.
Personally, I wouldn't mind having DRL's, but as I am in California, my car didn't come equipped with them. I particularly would like "dipped" lights (lights running at maybe about 1/4 power) to have them just on, but not like having the low beams on. Any add-on for this? Kevin

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Kevin - I think DRLs are just high beams run on reduced voltage. They are not nearly as bright as having a low beam on (full voltage). Is this what you mean by "dipped?" If so, your dealer in the U.S. can turn them on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm pretty sure all US cars from '02 on came equipped with DTRL at least as a programming option, if not as the default.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I know, for a fact, two things:

1. the 2003 M5 has daytime running lights, in N. America.
2. turning them on and off is only programmable by the dealer.

My California model had them on- I hated them. Dealer turned them off for free when repairing some other things.

My feeling is 'why draw attention to yourself'

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Daytime running lights have been available at least from 2001 and must be set by the dealer via the Key Options via the Dealer's computer connection to the car. All US dealers delivering BMWs should have had the customer complete the Key Options Form prior to or at delivery. These options are free to the original customer to set one time. Labor charges apply for subsequent changes (.5 to 1 hr labor). Enclosed is a copy of the form: Key Options Form

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. I still have the same problem. In Canada a dealer won't do it and I'm not really near the USA. I'm hoping that someone out there has an aftermarket solution. Keep the ideas coming. If nothing else it keeps the post alive so that maybe someone out there will have an answer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
BKH said:
Kevin - I think DRLs are just high beams run on reduced voltage. They are not nearly as bright as having a low beam on (full voltage). Is this what you mean by "dipped?" If so, your dealer in the U.S. can turn them on.
Thanks! Not that I am trying to call more attention to myself in a bad way, just making myself a little more visible when I'm passing on the right . . . HaHa! Kevin

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Whiteyford said:
Thanks for the input guys. I still have the same problem. In Canada a dealer won't do it and I'm not really near the USA. I'm hoping that someone out there has an aftermarket solution. Keep the ideas coming. If nothing else it keeps the post alive so that maybe someone out there will have an answer.
Have you tried bypassing the SA and talking directly to your friendly tech? If it doesn't show up on the paperwork, there is at least a possibility he could do it for you. No harm in asking......
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Have you tried bypassing the SA and talking directly to your friendly tech? If it doesn't show up on the paperwork, there is at least a possibility he could do it for you. No harm in asking......
Outside the box thinking! Like Captain Kirk being the only one to beat the Kobayashi Maru problem... Way to go, Jerry! :cool2:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Outside the box thinking! Like Captain Kirk being the only one to beat the Kobayashi Maru problem... Way to go, Jerry! :cool2:
I'm not sure you can set up two "profiles" for different keys, but maybe pitch to the dealer that you want one "USA" profile and one "Canada" profile... that way the argument that YOU are the one making the decision...NOT the dealer. (ie YOU decide which key to use). Dealer may know your intention but it gives them an 'out'.

If you don't have a second key, then cut a deal with the dealer to buy and configure the second key for USA only use.

Kind of like Solomon cutting the Maru in half.

A

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good ideas guys but I've already tried. The tech at the dealership said he won't do it because their computer is hooked up to a computer in Germany and that if they made the change someone would find out. I'm not sure if this story is true but that's their excuse. I even tried the I drive in the States allot and that didn't go over to well either. Unfortunately where I live there is only 1 BMW dealer and one computer that can do this for me. This sucks. Oh the woes of living in Canada.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
If you're close enough to the states, why not try going down to a BMW dealership here to see if they'd be willing to turn off the DRL for you. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts