BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just tried out this new data logging software called BMWLogger from bimmersoftware and its really useful. All you need is a K+DCAN usb cable, which I already had for programming with NCSEXPER and INPA, and a laptop (WIN or MAC). It records loads of useful info and can be played back with graphs. It's free for realtime viewing, but to record you need to buy a license for $49.

Here are the features:

Main Features:

- NO INPA/EDIABAS INSTALL REQUIRED. Completely Self-Reliant Application

- No Need To Buy A Specific Cable At A 200% Mark Up! Any USB K-Line or K+DCAN Cable That Uses The FTDI Chipset Can Be Used

- Direct USB Support. No Need To Deal With COM Port Numbers Or Settings. Truly Plug And Play

- The Software Auto-Updates. No Messy Uninstall/Reinstall!

- Automatic FTDI Driver Installation

- Choose Between KPH And MPH, Celsius And Fahrenheit

- Real-Time Datalogging (RPM, Speed, Temperatures, Ignition Timing, Vanos Info, Status Info, Inputs/Outputs, And More!)

- EXPORT TO VIDEO (Release coming soon) to overlay your recordings onto track video you’ve taken! RPM, TPS, Speed, Gear, Coolant Temp, and Brake Data.

- Gauges To Visualize Incoming Data

- Data List With All Supported Data In Readable Format

- Record, Save, and Load Data From Saved Recordings

- Playback Recordings In Real-Time

- Export Recordings To CSV

- Datalog Commenting To Mark Events In Recordings For Later Analysis

- Check And Clear Error Codes. Shadow And Prominent Codes (Currently Displays Code Only. Descriptions Are Being Translated)

- Clear Adaptations

- Register A New Battery With IBS.

Graphing Features:

- Live Graphing To Compare Data In Real-Time

- Main Graphing For Analyzing Recordings

- Live Scrub Allows You To Easily Move Through Recordings With Your Mouse

- Multiple Graphs Can Be Setup And Defined

- Real Values Are Shown On Graphs As You Playback For Easy Identification

- Overlay Multiple Items On Each Graph For Comparison

- Definable Colors For Each Data Item

- Graph Zoom And Scrolling

- Trim Recordings To See Only The Data You Want To Analyze

Just thought I'd share with you guys since a lot of you guys have the cable already.

Here's a screen vid of my log today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I forget to mention, my screen vid is much slower then the actual display of the data playback on the software as well as the live viewing when driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys I just tried out this new data logging software called BMWLogger from bimmersoftware and its really useful.

I have been looking for something like this for a long time now. If this indeed works for the M6 MSS65 and I am able to log such things as knock retard, MAFS Hz frequency (or voltage), MAP Voltage, EGT, etc then I will be a happy camper! Does it by chance allow for any analog inputs, such as what would come from an external wideband unit? Or, since the front O2 sensors on these cars are wideband units does it allow you to log the actual AFR's through them directly? Any info would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will be reading up. Thank you.

EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded the datalogger software and already viewed the sample MSS65 log that I assume is yours. I am currently registering for the BMWLogger forum to get all the details on future plans with this software and the options for adding more PID's.

This is a big step in the right direction for me starting to tune these cars without having to spend $10-12k to become a full dealer for the Dimsport Race EVO stuff. Now if only bimmersoftware would offer some sort of end user tuning software such as what HPTuners, SCT, or Diablosport is for Ford and GM vehicles with the ability to individually license vehicles by VIN I would be set.

Reactions: USAF

·
Registered
73 Posts
AFR is something I'm looking into. I have to find out what each model of BMW runs for a sensor and find the sensors effective voltage to AFR scale before I can implement that feature. Tuning software is always a possibility, but I haven't seen much interest for BMW software so we'll see how it goes.

I can easily add support for PLX and Innovate wideband's direct serial logging, but I'd rather make the stock wideband sensors available.

·
Registered
249 Posts
AFR is something I'm looking into. I have to find out what each model of BMW runs for a sensor and find the sensors effective voltage to AFR scale before I can implement that feature. Tuning software is always a possibility, but I haven't seen much interest for BMW software so we'll see how it goes.

I can easily add support for PLX and Innovate wideband's direct serial logging, but I'd rather make the stock wideband sensors available.

Yeah, either way to log AFR's would be nice, as long as MAFS voltage and AFR can be directly correlated on the same graph that is what will count for tuning; so regardless of where the source comes from. Though it would be nice to just simply log the onboard front widebands since they are already there and communicating with the DME.

I think that once more secondhand users get their hands on these cars there will be larger demand for end-user DME tuning. Most people who buy the M6, for instance, new usually aren't the level of tinkerers that would be needed to justify the R&D that would go into developing end-user tuning.

·
Registered
249 Posts
AFR is something I'm looking into. I have to find out what each model of BMW runs for a sensor and find the sensors effective voltage to AFR scale before I can implement that feature.
I just noticed this portion of your post. I know the E60 M5's and E63/64 M6's w/ S85 V10 use the Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor in front of each cat for each bank. The Pumping Current vs Lambda scale I found for them is in the following link. Scroll down to page 2 of the PDF file on the right hand side.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pdf/sensors/lambda/lsu49.pdf

·
Registered
579 Posts
I will definitely be using this during the nitrous runs. Thanks for the heads-up Rob.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I will definitely be using this during the nitrous runs. Thanks for the heads-up Rob.

I figured you would like this Dean. I see allot of potential for this software opening up allot of doors for end-users needing to send detailed datalogs to their tuners for remote custom tuning, versus just remote canned tuning. Since STFT's (Lambda Int 1 and 2) and Actual Spark Advance along with standard items like VSS and RPM are already able to be logged; just the addition of MAFS Voltage and Knock Retard will be a huge step in the right direction since you can always log AFR's through a separate wideband if need be.

Your USB cable that you currently use to load Evolves tunes to your DME should probably work as the datalogging cable for this software too I would bet so all you would need is to license the software itself for your VIN.

Reactions: smooth1 and USAF

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been looking for something like this for a long time now. If this indeed works for the M6 MSS65 and I am able to log such things as knock retard, MAFS Hz frequency (or voltage), MAP Voltage, EGT, etc then I will be a happy camper! Does it by chance allow for any analog inputs, such as what would come from an external wideband unit? Or, since the front O2 sensors on these cars are wideband units does it allow you to log the actual AFR's through them directly? Any info would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will be reading up. Thank you.

EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded the datalogger software and already viewed the sample MSS65 log that I assume is yours. I am currently registering for the BMWLogger forum to get all the details on future plans with this software and the options for adding more PID's.

This is a big step in the right direction for me starting to tune these cars without having to spend $10-12k to become a full dealer for the Dimsport Race EVO stuff. Now if only bimmersoftware would offer some sort of end user tuning software such as what HPTuners, SCT, or Diablosport is for Ford and GM vehicles with the ability to individually license vehicles by VIN I would be set.
Sorry for the late reply, Yes this software is great! I've been using it to monitor the max timing in different conditions. smooth1 is working on the AFR and Misfire detection and has been great to responding to my emails. I'm also using a scan gauge II and you can program it to display AFR on both banks, but I am not sure how accurate it is. I just picked up a PLX SM-AFR gauge and sensor, but it'll be a while till i get it installed. It uses a LSU 4.2 so the stock wideband is better. I'm thinking of just temporarily sticking in the narrowband bung, since my Evolve tune has them turn off, just to see how accurate the scan gauge readings are. Hope BMWLogger will be able to log this soon.

By the way my log's MAF readings may be calculated values and also there is no change in LTFT as I have an Alpha-N tune. Hopefully someone with a normal tune will donate their logs to see those values as they should be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
By the way my log's MAF readings may be calculated values and also there is no change in LTFT as I have an Alpha-N tune. Hopefully someone with a normal tune will donate their logs to see those values as they should be.

That would be nice. Nobody has jumped on board yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you think it'd be useful I'd love that. It's not a BETA or Development software otherwise I'd just give you a license for testing. We know it works well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you think it'd be useful I'd love that. It's not a BETA or Development software otherwise I'd just give you a license for testing. We know it works well.
It's not free? (I've only read this thread and must have missed a price attached).

I've been logging data via a ODB Bluetooth and dash commander. It logs at about 6-8 times a second.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The logging portion is not free ($49). Does Dash Commander give you access to BMW specific stuff or just OBD2? How many data points are involved in that 6-8 per second?

There may be a difference, but you may be just fine with what you currently have. This is about 33 points of interest so far on the M5/M6. VANOS information as well as differences between Bank 1 and 2 (IAT, Throttle, Manifold Pressure, VANOS etc) go beyond what standard OBD2 will show you and it's pulling 8-10 updates per second. I'm working on an advanced PID viewer which will show you BMW adaptations and knock sensor information as well.

Not sure what Dash Commander is capable of but this also has graphing capabilities, save/load datalogs, exports to CSV, and exports to video for in-car overlays. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts