BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been doing my reading, but wanted to check and see if there is an option I'm missing. I'm looking for something to integrate with the OE system that will allow me to browse and play my music collection in a database format using the car's. When I say database format I'm referring to the ability to browse by Artist, Album, Tracks, Genre, ect. The best option I have found from my reading is the Intravee 2, but it has a folder limit. So, if you have a large collection you can't browse all of it. Does anyone know of any other options that function like the Intravee in the ability to browse the music in a database style, but doesn't have the folder limit? Alternatively has anyone figured out a workaround to the folder limit? To me the best way to work around this limit and add functionality is to put everything in first letter folders. So, you would have folders A-Z, and all artists starting with the letter A in the "A" folder. I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with the BMW iPod adapter/cable. I haven't been able to find any reviews or information about how it functions, other than how to install it.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
How large of a collection do you have? From the Intravee II documentation on the KCA-420i (iPod adapter):

* Playlist, Artist, Album and Sub-Album search limited to 511 items.
* Song search limited to 255 songs.

KCA-620M (USB adapter):

* The file limit per USB device appears to be 1024 files total, but may also be ID3 tag data or file/folder
name length dependent. With more files on the device random files can be selected instead of the
desired file and random resets occur.
* A device with 1024 files can take up to 30 seconds to start playing from source selection.
* Folder and File search limited to 255 items.

Based on this, I went with the KCA-420i and 30GB iPod.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point is is probably 30-40GB, and ~1000 Artists. Some consolidation could probably be done, but I have a lot and it's pretty eclectic.

I have heard several people say to stay away from the KCA-620M, because it is has issues. Is that 1024 file limit, the limit within each folder, or the limit within the entire USB drive?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The 1024 file limit is to the entire USB device. It's not really well suited to large collections. As far as the KCA-420i is concerned, I have ~300 artists on my iPod and it can take a bit to build the list. The way I'm reading the documentation, you'd only see the first 511 of the artists of your connection.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So if I go with the KCA-420i I will only be able to look through about half my collection. That's disappointing, but is the best option from what I have found.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the link to that forum AGM5. I can actually send RichardP a PM on that forum, if I can't find an answer.

Judging from the responses so far, it doesn't seem there is another option that does what I want. Guess I'll be ordering an Intravee tonight.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
And if you buy the Intravee you certainly buy a little box of miracles. There is so much extra apart from the music.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am excited for that as well. I really like the PDC info being displayed on the cluster.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Intravee II files

Here's some software and documentation for the Intravee II, if you don't have it already. You'll need a Windows computer with a serial port to update the firmware.

Reactions: CrazyJew89

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intravee II files

Here's some software and documentation for the Intravee II, if you don't have it already. You'll need a Windows computer with a serial port to update the firmware.
Thanks Chuffykow. I Imagine if I order a brand new one, like I'm currently planning, it will come with all of that documentation, right?

Will a USB-serial adapter work, or does it have to have a built-in serial?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Thanks Chuffykow. I Imagine if I order a brand new one, like I'm currently planning, it will come with all of that documentation, right?

A USB-Serial adapter will work fine.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

You have to download the documentation. Many, many pages. So much to read, but the end-result justifies it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm ok with reading. Hell I actually read most of the manual for the beast when I got it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts