BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know of the insurance fraud in Russia involving people faking getting hit by vehicles. It appears that people are starting to try this scam in the U.S. I'm thinkng of getting a dashcam for general purpose. Just curious if anyone else is using one. If so, what type, what do you like about it, what don't you like about it, and where do you have it mounted, how is battery life, recording time, etc. If I get one I'd like to mount it in such a way that it's semi-hidden and also won't be confused as a radar/laser detector.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I initially bought a DVR-207 based on good reviews. It's a great camera but cannot charge/record while plugged into USB. This makes hardwiring it kind of a pain. I had to wire a car charger socket into the headliner in my last vehicle. Very messy. A 12V -> 5.5V USB converter is a much better choice. So I'm looking for a camera that charges from USB now.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have this one, with GPS
Smallest HD1080P Display Car Dash Cam Recorder Video Ambarella A2S60 LCD Monitor | eBay

And with the AV connector connected into the video module (AV interface), you can watch the recording also onto your nav. screen.

I have placed it at the right side of the mirror (LHD) and it is powered by the reading light power supply. It is shutoff when the car is in sleep-mode (7 min). I am using a type 10 32GB mini MC and there is no issue with that type.

I have no disadvantages found yet, only the lighting can be an issue according other reviews. I did not have this issue yet.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
the mobius is good alot of guys use this. the blackvue is another good one to get, but the US retailers charge alot for it. there is a guy in Korea selling them with US software much cheaper. and you can get a 2 channel blackvue with 2 cameras for front and rear protection.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
All you need to know about dash cams. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

He recommended Mobius!
I was just about to post this channel, but you beat me to it!

I have been following his videos for some time. I thought it would be a good idea to capture any incident for insurance or any other activities. The file rollover features are nice, and its always nice to have recording on for any surprises. While I have been interested in getting one for years, I still have not purchased one.

I still have not seen one that is really stealth. I would certainly hard wire it into the car so there is no annoying cigarette adapter plugged in. While a lot of them have great quality video, none really stick out having great audio. So these would not replace someone using a GoPro or something like this, but for everything else, they seem like a great product to have running in the car at all times.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use an iPhone app "Car Camera" It has date, time and position with speed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
if you want a really bang for your buck camera that has a camera for front and back which is very simple to hook up AND cheap for a first time experience I would purchase this, of course you'll need a bigger memory card but it seems like the best option to me so far.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVETDSW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1EA5UI9NC9JD3&coliid=I3KOR1BJMX60SO&psc=1

i did a lot of research on this camera and it's awesome for how cheap it is. but i read a few reviews and they say amazon sometimes ship the wrong one that doesn't have the rear view camera.. idk just something to consider.

i would hook it up right behind the rear view mirror and put the lines in the headliner!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed a G1WH a few days ago and I think it's the best value for the money. I got it for around $50 on ebay from a US seller. The video quality cannot be beat for this price. The only flaws I see are the mount (it works, it's just flimsy) and when you save a clip it does not save the previous clip as well. I mounted it using the suction cup that came with it, to the right of the mirror. I hardwired it using the garage opener green/white wire and wired that to the USB adapter that came with the camera. If I remember I'll post pics when I get home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it has to be discrete, out of sight and out of mind. Also, it should, if possible cover 360 degrees or at least front and back. There should be quick way to enable or disable, so I can turn-it off when parked in my home garage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed a G1WH a few days ago and I think it's the best value for the money. I got it for around $50 on ebay from a US seller. The video quality cannot be beat for this price. The only flaws I see are the mount (it works, it's just flimsy) and when you save a clip it does not save the previous clip as well. I mounted it using the suction cup that came with it, to the right of the mirror. I hardwired it using the garage opener green/white wire and wired that to the USB adapter that came with the camera. If I remember I'll post pics when I get home.

Definitely looking forward to pics and your review on it's ability to transition from bright to dark light conditions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I'm going on trips to nice areas I love to record them if i can
Used to ask a friend to lend me his goPro

at the moment looking to buy an E-prance 0801 as it's small, has GPS (extra module) and reasonably priced
the whole kit (camera+gps+charger+32GB card) costs £87 on amazon might be cheaper on other places

Here is a review:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I run an el-cheap-o model from amazon. It's ok at best but records directly in front and a slight view of the sides. I'd recommend not going the cheap route like I did. Mine does plug in to the 12v power source.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the mobius is good alot of guys use this. the blackvue is another good one to get, but the US retailers charge alot for it. there is a guy in Korea selling them with US software much cheaper. and you can get a 2 channel blackvue with 2 cameras for front and rear protection.
I second the Blackvue. I had the DR500GW model in my X5 and now my M5 and its an invaluable tool. Excellent video quality day and night, 1080p, microSD expandable, 3 way shock sensors, excellent build quality... it looks like it belongs in an M5. The software is decent and being able to view video over Wifi for Android and iPhone is perfect for viewing on the go.

Its a little pricey... around $300 but its definitely worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts