BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 M5... Had the car stored all winter took it out last week everything was fine....Parked the car Tuesday and started it up 2 days after (tonight) and the whole dash lit up with errors, and my CIC did not start up... Turned off car and restarted it a couple of times... each time i restarted it the errors slowly disappeared. Took for a drive and everything seems fine now that no errors show... I had everything showing from ABS failure, EDC failure, DSC failure and SMG failure...I'm guessing its time for a new battery... Has anyone else experienced this before???
thanks
Mat:dunno:

·
Registered
195 Posts
low battery might cause this problem. the car is shutting down all uneeded systems to save power.
35000 alternator or even 60000 miles alternators are very disappointing. my e36 m3 has 220000 mile with it alternator.
bmw dont make them like they use to.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
low battery might cause this problem. the car is shutting down all uneeded systems to save power.
35000 alternator or even 60000 miles alternators are very disappointing. my e36 m3 has 220000 mile with it alternator.
bmw dont make them like they use to.
You should also compare the amount of electronics on the M5 compared to the electronics on your E36. The M5's alternator works hard. There is a lot to power... Look at the size of the M5's battery. It's easily twice the size of a regular battery. There's a reason for this.

OP: Did you tender your battery during the car's storage? If not, this is likely the culprit. Take the car for an extended drive (assuming the next time you start it up there are no errors) or better yet, throw it on a battery charger and let it top-off the battery.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I had the very same thing just 2 days ago, every possible light was on and thanks to M5board, I knew that it was the battery. I even had the lights turned off when I tried to start the car but the headlights lit up for like a millisec and then completaly dead. I charged the battery and everything is fine. I did have the car hooked up as I always do wintertime but turns out that my brother had taken the charger without telling me. He´s a peanut!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had it on a trickle charger all through winter,, but even with that on first start up it said high battery drain... i guess the trickle charger wasnt pumping out enough power to keep the beast beating...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
i had it on a trickle charger all through winter,, but even with that on first start up it said high battery drain... i guess the trickle charger wasnt pumping out enough power to keep the beast beating...
A trickle charger should do the job...all winter to keep it up to snuff.....I concur the battery has probably sulfated and needs replacing....at that time an alternator load test should be done for a complete evaluation...:byee55amg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts