BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of E39 M5's but mine is the first I noticed a leather dash with stitching in it. Is this a rare option?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Not rare but not all m5 have it

On the other hand, it was possible to order a full leather dash on a sports interior only on 99-2000 production. Strange enough maybe its not a desired combo but definitely rare.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Everyone is saying the right stuff, both Heritage and Sport prefacelift cars (99-00) had the option of a leather dash in the all-point leather package, but the facelift (01-03) cars could only have all-point leather through the Herritage package. You can find prefacelift cars with Heritage and only extended leather, like most Sport interior cars, however on facelift cars, you had to get all-point leather. It is really confusing as to why you couldn't have all-point with Sport. Maybe it could have been possible to get a facelift car with an all-point leather through BMW Individual, but I am not sure nor have I ever seen that before.

I don't know why BMW decided to be weird with that. I have heard that dealerships at the time recommended the vinyl dash especially in sunny areas to avoid shrinkage, which was a common problem on cars with leather-wrapped dashboards; Ferrari 355s spring to mind. It is really confusing, but you do have a Heritage interior car with the all-point leather since yours is an 02. Enjoy all that leather in good health!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just FWIW, the two interior choices were sold as Sport or Exclusive (europe) AKA Luxury (US) and this is what you'll see on the window sticker. I say this because there are a lot of names for the interiors (Heritage, Complete, Full, Extended, Luxury, Sport off the top of my head) and sometimes meanings overlap leading to confusion

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah mine has it. I've attacked my interior with Lexol and Leatherique multiple times over the last couple years. I suspect I will need to do some more treatment on the dash to relax the hide a bit. It still feels soft, but I don't like the idea of cracks forming around the vents or edges. If you do treat your leather, pay attention to the back head rests and the tops of the doors too. Extra dry after 10+ years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, the additional leather is hard to keep up with especially where the sun actually shines, unlike where I am in Cleveland.

Man, I hadn't really even thought about European M5s. I know they had a slew of interior options. I recall seeing this one for sale in Canada with front and rear seats from a standard E39. I know you could get European M5s in Canada, but I acknowledge that most were similar to US spec cars falling under the North American spec bracket. It had nav, DSP, and a sunroof, but it that was about it; no alcantara, no split folds (which is probably a good thing), no frills at all. The build sheet confirmed that it came that way from the factory, but it is just so strange to see an M5 like that, at least to an American such as myself.

$_57.jpg

This is all probably way too in-depth for this thread, but it's all good info to spread around haha

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah, the additional leather is hard to keep up with especially where the sun actually shines, unlike where I am in Cleveland.

Man, I hadn't really even thought about European M5s. I know they had a slew of interior options. I recall seeing this one for sale in Canada with front and rear seats from a standard E39. I know you could get European M5s in Canada, but I acknowledge that most were similar to US spec cars falling under the North American spec bracket. It had nav, DSP, and a sunroof, but it that was about it; no alcantara, no split folds (which is probably a good thing), no frills at all. The build sheet confirmed that it came that way from the factory, but it is just so strange to see an M5 like that, at least to an American such as myself.

View attachment 503330

This is all probably way too in-depth for this thread, but it's all good info to spread around haha
Those are not the standard E39 seats. They are the optional "Comfort Seats".

M5Portal.com

·
Registered
647 Posts
Notice the little switch (with 2 arrows) on the side panel?

·
Registered
308 Posts
On the Horizontal plane of the the side cover? Looks like a comfort contour seat, like I have in the e38. Wonder if it has active comfort as well. That is not a standard e39 comfort seat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't recall that base E39 seats have this switch?

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Could be the E38 seats as well. Hard to say definitively from that one photo without being able to see the seatback.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am 99.9% sure the seats are comfort/articulated seats. The buttons noted are the dead giveaway. They were available on Canadian cars. I have them on my M5. Check the link below for pictures.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/410257-new-beast-board.html

As I mention in my thread, these seats come with an alternating butt massager that protects yrou spine from becoming cramped over long journeys :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yup, 750 has the same magic seats - Active Comfort. the best way to travel, though the Heritage M5 seats I picked up for the 540iT are comfy.... Agree, that is the only reason that button is there ( <|> ) drives the hinge motor for the back rest.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Those are E38 seats. They were an upgraded option in some markets. No M5s were available in any market with any non-M E39 seats. All M5s got the Sport or Luxury interior or a few options of E38 seats (comfort/comfort sport)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts