BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

A while back I posted a thread gauging interest in big bore throttle bodies as an alternative to the super expensive dinan components. The shop that I was talking to is being sold so the owner hasn't been very active with R&D. For those of you who want to do some research, it's called west coast riots. He made a name for himself with the E30 and E36 crowd with his machine work to get Dinan results without Dinan pricing.

His throttle bodies for the e39 m5 are 80% finished but he doesn't want to finish the work for one set, tooling cost and man hours, etc. He'd only be interested in finishing the job for at least 5 orders. The approx. cost $~2,000 give or take, possibly as low as $1,500. It would obviously be better pricing with more orders.

He has the ability to do +4mm over the stock throttle bodies but says +2mm is enough. Perhaps a larger bore would be beneficial to those with superchargers...I planned on fitting the larger throttle bodies to my own car and then developing software to compensate, but as generous as I may be, I'm not down for paying more than the price of the dinan throttle bodies up front for development just for the benefit of others ;)

So the real question, are there at least 5 people among you who would be interested in getting larger throttle bodies to get the most out of your E39 M5? Or am I the only one...again :crying:

·
Registered
797 Posts
As they say: Power is airflow. In and out. And I've been wondering how to get around Dinan's insane pricing schedule.

That said, I'm still six to twelve months out. Good luck with your plans and please keep me informed.

dj

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would it all work out - send our throttle bodies to the shop and have them worked, or a different process?
Exactly right. He said it would take a couple of days to modify a set and he only has one donor set, it would in theory be done one at a time and be subject to whenever each person sends in their core. I've been looking for an extra set online to see if I could speed up this process and get a set to test.

One way or another eventually my dream of doing every possible NA mod to this car will come to fruition.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have researched this company before looking for bored TBs. Biggest question though is that they won't improve performance very much unless used with matching larger velocity stacks. What do you intend to do in that regard?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have researched this company before looking for bored TBs. Biggest question though is that they won't improve performance very much unless used with matching larger velocity stacks. What do you intend to do in that regard?
I've had a set of velocity stacks sitting under my bed for four years now. They are not "shorty" stacks so they require a larger capacity plenum. I was trying to get ahold of one of those large plexi cf plenums to show them off and was hoping to have larger throttle bodies to compliment them. Obviously 1/3 of the way and no closer than I was 4 years ago haha.

The answer for everyone else is I have strategic partners that will make velocity stacks no problem :) I believe there will be a power increase without the vs, but we won't know 'til we get there...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
TBs are only really efficient with modified heads.This is where the restrictions are....

2k are better spent on doing the heads,IMHO.
Heads are about 15-20HP if done right,with stock TBs and headers,of course.

Good opportunity to rebuild everything there to get rid of leaking valve stems that cause oil consumption.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBs are only really efficient with modified heads.This is where the restrictions are....
I know there is power from modifying the heads, but is it needed to get power from TB? I don't know if Dinan S2's have modified heads or not

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I know there is power from modifying the heads, but is it needed to get power from TB? I don't know if Dinan S2's have modified heads or not

Without head work,you see 5-8HP from TBs,but only if the car has headers..and an efficient cold air intake sytem,of course.
Not more gain from there until heads.

Got over 500HP from an engine with stock TBs,and also flow bench tests I did show stock TBs are enough...
To be more precise,stock diameter is enough,but it makes sense to modify the TBs a bit for better flow...

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Throttle bodies are a big subject still so well done on bringing it up again!
Alot of people have analysed this and one very good question that arises is that how do other modified cars compare to dinan s2?

471 was quoted with the fantastic dinan headers and their TB's.
This is approximately 390 whp.
Did they actually make this power ?
What we do know is that cars do exist out there with power which is not far off this without Tb's that make around 370whp.
We even have your own car that makes more according to a dyno graph posted!

What needs to be done is one set is produced and then tested thoroughly on a dyno with some proper datalogging.
I am not talking abou the kind of dyno graphs we Are used to seeing on here without a correction factor in sight!
This upgrade is not cheap and is fairly labour intensive. People need to know what it exactly does before taking the plunge.

Best thing is that you get a set made, do a base line run, then fit the tb's, test again and present the data with as much info as possible.
Use either a well operated dyno jet or dyno dynamics with the latest software which will allow all correction factors to be shown clearly.

I have a cunning plan on seein if they or not but quite happy at the moment with 378 hp on our machine. This would make much more on a dynojet......

Good luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Exactly right. He said it would take a couple of days to modify a set and he only has one donor set, it would in theory be done one at a time and be subject to whenever each person sends in their core. I've been looking for an extra set online to see if I could speed up this process and get a set to test.

One way or another eventually my dream of doing every possible NA mod to this car will come to fruition.
eBay Germany has a pair, and two individual sets all from the same seller:

BMW E39 M5 5.0L V8 Einzeldrossel Einspritzanlage Tuning bei eBay.de: Antrieb, Motor Getriebe (endet 30.11.10 22:30:26 MEZ)
BMW E39 M5 Einzeldrossel Einspritzanlage Umbau E30 M3 bei eBay.de: Antrieb, Motor Getriebe (endet 16.12.10 09:41:09 MEZ)
BMW E39 M5 Einzeldrossel Einspritzanlage Umbau E30 M3 bei eBay.de: Antrieb, Motor Getriebe (endet 16.12.10 09:45:02 MEZ)

·
Registered
295 Posts
TB's

I'm in for sure if I can get larger velocity stacks at the same time.

Hey Guys,

A while back I posted a thread gauging interest in big bore throttle bodies as an alternative to the super expensive dinan components. The shop that I was talking to is being sold so the owner hasn't been very active with R&D. For those of you who want to do some research, it's called west coast riots. He made a name for himself with the E30 and E36 crowd with his machine work to get Dinan results without Dinan pricing.

His throttle bodies for the e39 m5 are 80% finished but he doesn't want to finish the work for one set, tooling cost and man hours, etc. He'd only be interested in finishing the job for at least 5 orders. The approx. cost $~2,000 give or take, possibly as low as $1,500. It would obviously be better pricing with more orders.

He has the ability to do +4mm over the stock throttle bodies but says +2mm is enough. Perhaps a larger bore would be beneficial to those with superchargers...I planned on fitting the larger throttle bodies to my own car and then developing software to compensate, but as generous as I may be, I'm not down for paying more than the price of the dinan throttle bodies up front for development just for the benefit of others ;)

So the real question, are there at least 5 people among you who would be interested in getting larger throttle bodies to get the most out of your E39 M5? Or am I the only one...again :crying:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts