BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new dinan tune for the 550 is crazy. this thing is gonna run the e60 m5s. Looks like ESS is gonna be needed to deal with these new base cars from BMW.

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Definetly!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f1...cidair-550ix-sport-package-3.html#post1942405

Did some tests this morning ( +6deg, damp road ):

- 0-100 km/h 4.7s ( 0.4s improvement )
- 0-200 km/h 14.5s ( 3.0s improvement )

Now the car really has the power that you want! :D

I´m very satisfied with the Hartge ECU.:goldcup:

The new dinan tune for the 550 is crazy. this thing is gonna run the e60 m5s. Looks like ESS is gonna be needed to deal with these new base cars from BMW.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The Dinan 550i is strong!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dinan Tune for 4.4itt

I have to agree with everyone else, these new 4.4i turbo motors are strong to begin with, and incredible with software tuning. I was the first in Michigan to get the Dinan tune for the new 2011 X5 50i, and I can tell you 500hp, and 573lbft of torque make for one fast 5000lb suv. This thing pulls like a train from 75 to 125, it even feels stronger in the 30-50mph range than my Dinan M6 convertible. Seat of the pants feel gives me a o-60mph time somewhere around 4.5 to 4.7. A stock X5M was clocked to 60mph by topgear at 3.9 seconds. My X5 stock is supposed to do 0-60mph in 5.1 per BMW but it felt faster to begin with. I would assume a 550i with the Dinan tune to do it somewhere closer to 4 seconds. To give you an idea, there is a stretch near my house where from the streetlight to the first tight bend (pontiac trail in commerce) where if I accelerate from the light I would be around 50mph by the first bend. With the software tune, I am now somewhere closer to 65mph. It is definitely much much stronger and on the verge of what I would call stupid fast for a SUV.

Noushy

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
These cars are very impressive but I would rather have an e60 m5 as I prefer a NA engine. However, with this tune available, it does beg the question if the f10 m5 will be worth the money over the 550i.

afc1

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
These cars are very impressive but I would rather have an e60 m5 as I prefer a NA engine. However, with this tune available, it does beg the question if the f10 m5 will be worth the money over the 550i.

afc1
defiantly.. in terms of build, handling, power. the 550i may be close to a stock M5, but the F10 M5 will still be stronger.

It is never fair to tune a car and compare it to another/the next step up. The F10 M5 tuned will defiantly be a monster, much stronger than any 550.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is never fair to tune a car and compare it to another/the next step up. The F10 M5 tuned will defiantly be a monster, much stronger than any 550.
If it's reliable and costs cheap $$$ to get the performance of the M5 then the comparison is OK.

The big question is will BMW use exactly the same engine block as the 550i or will they use stronger modified internals.

It would ba a big mistake if they use the same engine block as with some relatively easy and cheap modifications ( bigger turbo, intercooler, remap ) you should get the same HP as the M5.

Anybody know if the X5M / X6M have the same engine internals as the 550i ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Engine internals

According to my BMW mechanic who works on my M6 and my X5 50i, (as well as many X5 and X5 Ms) he says the block is the same, and the engine tolerances are the same (which is why it does not use the M spec oil). However the turbos are larger and supposedly but unconfirmed, the internals (ie pistons, pins, etc) are stronger. Again the only way to know for sure is to see if they have the same part numbers. But what is significant is that the tolerances are not M spec, which is why it uses the thinner oil (tighter tolerances) like all the other BMW engines except the M3, M5 and M6 models. Take this with a grain of salt.

Noushy

·
Registered
93 Posts
F10 550i is so genuwinely impressive.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If the F10 M5 is offered in DCT-only (likely the case), I may opt for the 6-spd 550i with M sportpack and Dinan tune. One thing that car will still need badly though is...a LSD.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

afc1

I think the M5 will be almost guaranteed to be better then the 550i I am sure BMW has looked at the fact that the engine can be tuned and manipulated...but you also have to factor in other things as well i.e. suspension, the body build, and tire size all those also makes the M5 a lot better....in my opinion which is not worth much the M5 is going to blow us away......

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very different cars

Just because both the 550i and M5 can be tuned to perform similarly (0-60 for example) does not mean they are the same car. In fact totally different. What the 550i offers is the option of all wheel drive, and a more luxury tuned ride. The M5 is a true supersports sedan, and lets just leave it at that. My point about all of this tuning was how much potential BMW twinpower turbo V8 has. This engine is a beast, much different than a true M engine, but still a beast.

Noushy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts