BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After I have installed Hartge wheels & springs on my car I start to face unlimited nightmares. This is how it started:

I was driving normally in the highway and suddently got a warnning saying Damping control failular!! it asked me to drive moderately and go to nearest BMW.
After checking up, this is BMW responce "rear shock absorber bushings which are damaged due to wrong springs being fitted and also the EDC wiring is chaffed and damaged for the same reason" and they asked me for $2000 to do the job because they said it is not under warrenty.

I have forwarded the same email to Hartge along with photos I got for the part attached to get their input specially that they are claiming of giving warrenty and this is their replay " This as well as the damaged upper bearing is a result of a wrong installation procedure. If the springs would have been installed exactly in the same way than the standard springs,there could never appear such a damage. As mentioned already during our telephone conversation, we have equipped a few hundred cars up to now and tested the springs with wheel and tire combination over a few thousand kilometers. The result was absolutely satisfactory and there were no problems at all. The problem at the upper bearing looks like if here was missed to install a washer or a tubing. Could you please forward our explanation to the workshop, where the springs have been
installed and tell them to contact us asap. We will then discuss with them the further procedure."

I told Hartge that BMW confirmed to me that the installation was 100% correct and I asked him to give me what his points against the installatoin but his replay was always we installed this in ohter cars with no problem !!!

I have paied the money and asked BMW changed 2 rear shock absorbers along with 2 mountings, and I asked them to return the original BMW springs and replace the Hartge ones. I drove the car for 50Km, and I got the same warning again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to BMW and they checked the car and found the same problem and the two new shock absorbers along with their mountings are DAMAGAED AGAIN!!!

BMW replay was, the 21"rims are the reason and Hartge is saying wrong installation for 21"!!!!!!!!!!!! which is totally not correct. It is simple installation and does not require any special things!!

Now I am not using my car and facing hurge problems... I am very sad...any one faced the same or has any explination of what is going on my car?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
too bad

That seems very unfortunate. I have heard of the same type of problem. Everyone I have talked too says that putting 21" wheels on the M5 only creates more of a problem than anything else. AC Schnitzer apparently is aware of the problem as their new "type V" wheel only comes 20". I have heard of people having schock problems when they lower the car and do the 21" because the car is not designed for that type of configuration.

I know it seems mute at this point but "changing" the suspension like that on the M5 seems very aggressive. BMW spent countless hours and money to develop the car the way they did. Changing the configuration seems to only create a number of problems based upon what I heard in the past. My suggestion, don't do the 21" wheels. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
saudi very sorry to hear about this !!

1st thing i would do is go back to the bmw dealer and demand that they replace the shock absorbers and the mountings again,if there was a problem with the wheels aswell, which there was they should've told you from the beginning.they said there was a problem and you spent the $$ to have it fixed they never mentioned the wheels. its not your fault.have them fix it for free for not diagnosing the problem right in the first place.

2nd thing i would do is call cc company (amex hopefully,visa,disc) and dispute the charge for all the hartge products, tell the cc company the dealer misrepresented the product(wrong product)ship it all back to hartge or wherever and let them fight it out.you've already spent 2k fixing your car the 1st time now what they want you to spend another 2k thats absurd.

i hope this all works out for you..:mad:

my 0.02 cents..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LI-M5 said:
saudi very sorry to hear about this !!

1st thing i would do is go back to the bmw dealer and demand that they replace the shock absorbers and the mountings again,if there was a problem with the wheels aswell, which there was they should've told you from the beginning.they said there was a problem and you spent the $$ to have it fixed they never mentioned the wheels. its not your fault.have them fix it for free for not diagnosing the problem right in the first place.

2nd thing i would do is call cc company (amex hopefully,visa,disc) and dispute the charge for all the hartge products, tell the cc company the dealer misrepresented the product(wrong product)ship it all back to hartge or wherever and let them fight it out.you've already spent 2k fixing your car the 1st time now what they want you to spend another 2k thats absurd.

i hope this all works out for you..:mad:

my 0.02 cents..
Many thanks LI, actually the first suggestion already done and I am waiting for the delaer confirmation, they actually gave me a loaner car which X3 so I do not kick their *****.

The second option, I wish this is valid, because I did not buy it through Amex, I paied cash for my delaer. And Hartge is just trying to be smart here.

The question now, is from where is the FAULT!!! from the 21"rimz, the springs or the CAR it self. I just do not know what to do to have no headach car...ouich

·
Registered
587 Posts
Interesting...never heard of this before. I can't really comment on the wheel size, but I would agree with Hartge's response. Seems like either an install issue or there is an pre-existing issue with the car that's being brought to light with the springs and/or wheels. Or perhaps the initial shop did incorrectly install something, damaged an EDC wiring harness or hydraulic line somewhere that the BMW dealer hasn't picked up on yet. Granted I don't have much experience with the Hartge springs, but I'm familiar with the product and we've done plenty of H&R stuff to know that it's likely not an issue with the spring.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simon @ evosport said:
Interesting...never heard of this before. I can't really comment on the wheel size, but I would agree with Hartge's response. Seems like either an install issue or there is an pre-existing issue with the car that's being brought to light with the springs and/or wheels. Or perhaps the initial shop did incorrectly install something, damaged an EDC wiring harness or hydraulic line somewhere that the BMW dealer hasn't picked up on yet. Granted I don't have much experience with the Hartge springs, but I'm familiar with the product and we've done plenty of H&R stuff to know that it's likely not an issue with the spring.
Can you please advise me in details what else would be affected? we have changed the ShockAbsorbers and the Mounting, what else should be checked?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
Can you please advise me in details what else would be affected? we have changed the ShockAbsorbers and the Mounting, what else should be checked?
My recommendation at this point would be to go back to a known good state. Which in this case, I believe if I read your thread correctly, leaves putting the stock wheels back on and once again replacing the shocks/mounts/etc that have failed. Drive the car in this state for a few hundred miles/km and make sure there are no failures. If ok, then install JUST the springs. Drive the car again. If ok, then install the wheels. I don't have too much confidence in dealers, but make sure they check the entire EDC system, wiring, etc. for nicks, cracks, exposure in any of the wiring. It could be small enough where it wasn't picked up initially. I know this route of troubleshooting is costly, but I think it's probably the only way you can come to some conclusion as to who to go back to at the end of the day with a bill for reimbursement. If all else fails, ship me the car ;)

Also, at least in the US, in some cases dealers are allowed to make exceptions and actually cover or help cover the cost of some repairs as a courtesy. They are allowed a certain amount in their budget by NA to do this. You may want to see if that is something offered in Saudi to help with your second set of shocks.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
because I did not buy it through Amex, I paied cash for my delaer. ouich
never,never,never pay cash for big ticket items like this..put it on the amex.. they are awesome about things like this..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gustav said:
It lloks like it is more your dealer than Hartge issue?
Whats the proof? this is the question.

The dealer changed two new things, so what is his mistake in this.:confused:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
Whats the proof? this is the question.

The dealer changed two new things, so what is his mistake in this.:confused:
well at the bare minimum they mis diagnosed the problem resulting in screwing up a brand new pair of shock absorbers..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hello Saudi..

I am sorry to hear that, and frankly speaking you are the first one out all the people i know who have installed the 21" rims and springs to complain about them. Me myslef i have had them for over 5 months now and put on them more than 5,000 Kms but had no problems at all. So i would say and agree with Gustav it's the shop that have installed it not the the Hartge parts.

Let us know what will happen..

Cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Dubai,

Thanks for the replay, I do not know what mistake that the work shop did....but when I sent it to BMW they changed two new shock absorbers so it should go back to normal!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts