BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving like a complete retard in the rain (as usual) and happened accross a large rain filled hole in the road. Took out both wheels and tires on the left side... Took roadside assistance over 1 hour to get the car. Watch out for those holes in the road. Dan.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
my condolences also. sorry.

in general, how "tough" are the m5 rims? I ask b/c I do a pretty good job of avoiding pot holes with the m3, and Ive found the 17" rims to be pretty sturdy in the times that I am not successful in avoiding the pot holes. I a little concerned about the m5s rims, and about replacement costs...

·
Registered
216 Posts
My condolences too.

Touch wood, I havn't had any problems with my M5 rims yet. But my friend's E36 325i with 18" BBS RSII (I think that's what it's called, the 3 piece one) and first generation SO2s' went out of round just by hitting the slightest hole on the road.
He warned, 18" are evil! Beware!
So far, I've been okay driving on heavily constructed roads (for local Torontonian, the Yonge and Sheppard intersection) and mine still drives okay.
Maybe they've reinforced the M5 rims?
Are you driving over an abyss Dan?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Welcome to America's crappy, crumbling roads.

It never fails to amaze me, in the driving I've done in the UK and Europe, just how much better the general condition of the roads is.

The average California freeway is only just good enough that the Germans might not shut it down as a hazard until next year.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ive noticed some rims are "stronger" (more resistant to bending) than others. I remember reports from friends that the luxury package m3 rims are stronger than the standard spoke ones.... both being 17"

yes our roads are terrible- I think this is partially why we need trucks to drive over them! its like off roading!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts