BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was casually driving along the 110-N enjoying my music in the far right lane.
Suddenly, this Mexican gardener and his Toyota Tacoma decides to turn on his blinker and merge into my car.
His rear right wheel hits my driver door, and then his truck spins out in front of me.
The Tacoma is now sideways being pushed by my car, so his truck hops onto my hood a little.
During this time, I am on the brakes and I eventually come to a stop.
The truck then slides off my hood spins 180 degrees, slides across three lanes and crashes into the middle divider just barely missing another truck.

After I get out of my car and ask around to see if anyone saw what happened, I ask the guy for his insurance and such.
He refuses to give to me and tells me to move the car with him.
After several more of my attempts to get his information and him still refusing, this guy once again tells me to move my car with him.
I tell him, "**** NO! I'll move my car after I get your information. What the **** is so hard about that?" and I call the police.
When the police come, we get off, the officer gets both our information, and examines the cars to verify our stories.
He says that it seems clear to him that this Tacoma is at fault.
Note: Several times before the police arrived, he tried to tell me it was my fault to which I replied, "Are you ******* kidding me?"

I didn't notice this at the time, but the officer showed me that my car had been pushed into the 9inch curb on the right side.
All my rims and the side skirts of the car are scratched deeply.

Photos of my car:

Side View - You can see where his wheel hit my car and then spin around to crush my lights. The fender has also been pushed down into my wheel.

Right Perspective View - ****ed

Front View - :(

Left Perspective View - His front right wheel must have smashed this part

Rims - They all look more or less like this now

I have only had this car about 3 weeks and I am enjoying it so much.
Just maxed it out at 165 last Friday.
This was a bad way to start my day and week.

Edit: Not sure if any of you have seen the driver's education videos from the 90s that include clips of crashes on the 110, but this looked exactly like that from a first person view. It was a weird feeling.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Damn, that sucks! Good luck getting this resolved and your beast back on the road.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I dont get why people can not take driving more serious, this is perfect case in point, I get that "accidents" happen, but this was just negligence and lack of experience.

Hope the best in this, I bet its going to be pretty close to a "total insurance loss", are you going to repair it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just talked to the insurance company, and they're having an inspector look at the vehicle over the next three days.
The claim allows me to use any repair shop for this, so I think I'm going to take it to the BMW Collision Repair near me.
I don't think I'll be needing that door tradin1, but I'll pm you if that changes.

Tj Hunter, I think it's mostly just cosmetic damage.
However, there may be some minor damage to the front suspension, front axle, and vehicle structure? Not sure.

Do you all know if the insurance covers only just replacements of whatever was on there originally?
If it's paying for new parts, I'm thinking I might as well just get different/better parts replaced.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Read your policy depends what it states. I seriously doubt this is a total loss but depends on mileage etc. Just make sure you can produce any receipts etc and pics prior to damage to prove condition. Does the "tool" have insurance at least?

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Wow I hope it looks worse than it is... I was backed into by a lady on a phone.. she got out and was yelling at me, people...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Depends if you are going with your or his insurance company, you are in a better position to demand oem parts if you are going through his. You will be bound by your policy if you use your company, still try to get oem in either case. Also make sure you get a four wheel alignment which will show any suspension damage. Might be a good time for wheels upgrade if you were thinking about it since you will be getting paid for wheels anyway. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Wow sucks to see that kinda stuff... I can give you some advise... take it to C and C collision they are probably one of the best if not the best shop in southern cali... They have alot of experience ask For Nathan he is the owner...

hope it all works out for you...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
1. Did the other driver have insurance?

This is important. If he did, then HE is "liable" for your loss and the "loss" is a matter of negotiation and agreement (and potentially litigation)..HOWEVER, it is NOT defined by his policy, your policy or any insurance company 'rules'.

it is important you understand the difference.

2. If you are using your insurance, via 'uninsured motorist' coverage, recognize that this is contractual coverage- you have agreed that any damage caused by an uninsured will be fixed per the terms of your contract with YOUR insurance- THEN your policy rules will apply. It is not a liability case.

I prefer to take a very hard line approach and deal directly with the at fault party or their insurer. Indeed my attitude is "you caused a loss, you will pay whatever it costs to fix, if you want to submit the claim to your insurance, that's OK with me, but their rules on your policy are not my rules..."

3. If going through your insurance but they will file against the other driver, recognize that YOUR insurer does not necessarily ave YOUR best interests at heart. If you get a whiff of this, lay down the law.

Sucks... you are looking at $8-10k I am guessing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't mean to be racist, but you couldn't have been hit by a bigger cliche stereotype. I laughed when you went on to the insurance part. Maybe I've been watching too much Dave Chappelle and Carlos Mencia.

I hope you're covered and I'm glad you're ok. A crash whilst cruising on the highway would scare the sh*t out of me. It sucks that you've only had the car 3 weeks and have had a major part of your "bonding with car" period consumed by having to deal with this sh*t. All the best with this mate.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Rubbin' is racin'. LOL Sorry for the damage, but definitely looks fixable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He seemed to have insurance because he was able to provide the piece of paper.
This is my first crash. Am I guaranteed full coverage for all repairs since it's his fault?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry to hear about this accident. I have seen the traffic in LA become horrendous over the past few years. I would ask for some advice from forum members on body shops in LA though. Just because it is a BMW collision center doesn't make them the best body shop to work on your car. I was a bit sad to see the driver of the other car referred to as a "mexican gardener" though. Anyone could have cause the accident and I think the important thing to remember is that no one was hurt beyond repair in this accident.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I doubt a total loss in this case

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear about this accident. I have seen the traffic in LA become horrendous over the past few years. I would ask for some advice from forum members on body shops in LA though. Just because it is a BMW collision center doesn't make them the best body shop to work on your car. I was a bit sad to see the driver of the other car referred to as a "mexican gardener" though. Anyone could have cause the accident and I think the important thing to remember is that no one was hurt beyond repair in this accident.
What do you mean by best body shop? Would they paint the car better or faster?
Also, I referred to him as a Mexican gardener because he was Mexican, had grass on his feet, and had a lawnmower in his truck.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
if the wheels are bent and tires are ruined, you very well could be looking at a total loss.

- Bumper and associated trim
- 4x wheels + tires (pro-rated to how worn they were)
- mirror
- door
- hood + associated trim and under panels
- rocker panel(s)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts