BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many in the Northern regions, my M6 Cabrio sat garaged for much of the winter. The second the weather turned,
I had the beast out on the highway and unleashed the horses of war. A few times, while in second or third gear, I actually
reached, and passed the redline, so quickly, I didn't realize. The rev limiter kicked in, but I was concerned this might cause
some damage. It happened twice in the past month.

Will this cause any damage, or does the rev limiter do its job well in advance?
Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The rev limiter is there to protect the engine from over-revving and thus causing damage. So as long as your engine was up to operating temperature before you started beating on it then I am sure your car is absolutely fine.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Like many in the Northern regions, my M6 Cabrio sat garaged for much of the winter. The second the weather turned,
I had the beast out on the highway and unleashed the horses of war. A few times, while in second or third gear, I actually
reached, and passed the redline, so quickly, I didn't realize. The rev limiter kicked in, but I was concerned this might cause
some damage. It happened twice in the past month.

Will this cause any damage, or does the rev limiter do its job well in advance?
Thanks for any comments.
:nono:
I'm sorry to inform you that not only does the rev limiter throw you into limp mode momentarily, it sends a notification to BMW NA. You should be receiving a call or e-mail from BMW to warn you that you are allowed three over revs during your warranty period. The 4th over rev will constitute blatant misuse on your part and void your warranty on all future repair requests, including oil service. ouich

All kidding aside, a couple years ago there was an interesting and deep debate regarding the speed of shifts between a manual transmission and the SMG. not just about speed, but hitting the optimum or peak of the rev band before bouncing off and having the car go limp. In any case, much experimentation to see how to master getting those prime shifts in or just before yellow, so as to get the shift before hitting red and being bounced. You can imagine, there were many times when the limiter kicked in.

Seriously, if you had to go in for service on a mechanical issue that somehow may be related pushing the motor, they can literally see how many times and when you bounced the limiter. There have been accounts were BMW has voided claims.

Your motor will be fine. There are software companies, such as ESS that actually increase the redline some 250 to 500 RPM. So, find something else to worry about. Like who's driving your car during service, etc.
:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
What ever you say about the void warranty is actually not entirely wrong, BMW does record the over reving in the car ecu and in to your key when you take your car to warranty, they will actually have an excuse to void your warranty.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your stealership, they will not void your warranty no matter how many times you venture into the red zone. A "good relationship", as defined by the stealership, is how much of your money gets transferred from your wallet to their bank account every few years from new purchases.

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your stealership, they will not void your warranty no matter how many times you venture into the red zone. A "good relationship", as defined by the stealership, is how much of your money gets transferred from your wallet to their bank account every few years from new purchases.
+1
I also grease the palm of the SA's with presents for Christmas delivered by my extremely cute daughter. It works so well that they fight to get to our vehicles when we bring them in for service. The best couple of hundred bucks I spend every year!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great replies. Thanks guys. I always did get the car fully warm before unleashing the Horses of War.
It just surprised me how fast I passed redline. It's only happened 3 times.

It is a great idea to keep the SA happy. They really can navigate the murky waters of warranty claims.

I do worry about the Nascar wannabes that drive my M6 in the service department.
I'd love to match up LC dates with dates my car is in for service. I'm sure there is a correlation.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
"I do worry about the Nascar wannabes that drive my M6 in the service department."

You may want to be aware that they exist in greater numbers than you suspect. There are some real horror stories on the board. Do a search and you will be unpleasantly surprised. Good Luck and Cheers!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.