BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out on a drive, as we enter the turnpike, this biker pulls a wheelie and kept it for about 10mins. I've seen more stunting but that wasn't too shabby. Caught it on phone. Be the judge.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gNnc60VpJRQ?hd=1" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That guy's got some skills

·
Registered
628 Posts
been there done that went down twice around 100 mph had to stop playing that game!!

Hes pretty good no doubt, i just hope he has added an oil pick up, if he doesnt and rides like that alot he will soon starve one or more pistons and the motor will be toast soon.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
How can we collectively look down upon the guy driving the M5 in the snow but praise the guy doing this? The same risks apply. If he needs to do an emergency maneuver, he'll be screwed. Even if he's driving a bike, it's still heavy and will do serious damage to other cars on the road.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
While this guy is arguably an aspiring organ donor, his threat to public safety is extremely minimal here. The amusing tickle he gives to hundreds is infinitely greater, never mind the personal enjoyment he receives.

An officious cop could arrest him for reckless driving, haul him down to jail, and cause an enormous expense in lawyers, fines and loss of freedom. But doing so would make us all poorer, especially in terms of our sense of individuality and freedom.

It's past time that people stop being so judgmental about the peaceful behavior of others that doesn't comport with their own sense of style, pleasure and safety. We're becoming a nation of wimps and Puritans.

H.L. Mencken poignantly defined Puritanism as "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." Let's not succumb to this. It does not befit America qua America.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
threat to public safety is extremely minimal here. The amusing tickle he gives to hundreds is infinitely greater, never mind the personal enjoyment he receives.
The guys in the M5 think the same way. It's all a matter of perspective.

I'm not interested in shutting down the guy's happiness or being a puritan. I'm simply interested in the difference of reaction based on very similar behavior. I am indifferent to both instances. The guys in the M5 are nowhere near me, so I don't care. Same goes for the biker. Therefore, no outrage from me. I actually empatize with the biker because, if something happens, he's not protected by a metal shell and will be, as you so eloquently put it, an organ donor.

Every comment after the OP could've perfectly applied to the guy int he M5, though. Along with many commonly posted thoughts such as "drive it like you stole it," "to full capability," and "if not, then he should've gotten a 540i."

Also, the guy in the M5 slowed down when other cars were near and only sped up when the road was relatively empty, so there goes the safety for others concern.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Moron. The risk may appear minimal but there are soooo many morons in this area that put the public at risk through their stupidity. I could list dozens of episodes where the biker thought I should yield to him simply because he was on a bike, regardless of how stupid he was driving or how many rules of the road he was ignoring.

dj

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You can certainly call him a moron as judged by your values, but you can say the same about big wave surfers, extreme skiiers/boarders, and so many other people engaging in all kinds of risky activity. Some look at this as pathologically stupid, while those doing it see it as a source of excitement/adventure they need and that enriches their lives immeasurably.

I try not to judge except when they put others in danger, which is not a major risk here in my opinion. I find far more objectionable nearly every single Harley owner that cuts off their mufflers. The F Word (Season 13, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

·
Registered
797 Posts
You can certainly call him a moron as judged by your values, but you can say the same about big wave surfers, extreme skiiers/boarders, and so many other people engaging in all kinds of risky activity. Some look at this as pathologically stupid, while those doing it see it as a source of excitement/adventure they need and that enriches their lives immeasurably.

I try not to judge except when they put others in danger, which is not a major risk here in my opinion. I find far more objectionable nearly every single Harley owner that cuts off their mufflers. The F Word (Season 13, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Okay, my statement was a bit harsh. I can respect the skills displayed and I have been known to drive agressively at times and I'm certain others have called me a moron.

Please let me explain my initial reaction. We have a very large sport bike community here in DFW and they are very aggressively anti-car/anti-traffic. I have been cut off by bikers, held up in the passing lane while they are showing off in traffic, chased when they could not pass me at will, and attempt suicide in front of me because I didn't proclaim them "king of the road." They have gone to the extent of completely blocking traffic on a major tollway to mark/paint the lanes and "perform" for friends/observers. If a car driver does not accept their greatness and obvious superiority he is chased down cussed and threatened. Luckily I am 6'2", 240lbs and too stupid to back away from a fight so I am usually left alone in the end. Sadly, or luckily, I can out drive most of these special people and they are not capable of processing that but at least they did not kill themselves with my car. Of course this is not every guy on a bike but it is sadly common.

That said, I consciously look for bikes. I realize they can brake far shorter than I and most can accellerate faster and I allow for it. My wife loves the Harley's but I feel more akin to a sport-biker on the road than the average inattentive car driver. I go out of my way to show respect to others on the road and expect the same from them.

I apologize for my prejudice.

dj

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
been there done that went down twice around 100 mph had to stop playing that game!!

I don't get it... did you go down twice in one event? Or once even wasn't enough and you had to do it again????:eek:oohhh:

Just struck me as funny.

I am a fan of 'extreme' sports- don't risk any non participants, and make it take some level of skill, and have at it. I've skiied stuff that had I slipped up you would die- zero doubt. Hundreds of feet over rock..... But what a crazy, insane rush. Pre-wife, pre-kids....and nobody else to hurt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts