BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past year I've put on 23,000 miles on the M5 and she's been awesome, but i would really like to have a little daily on the side so I don't put as many miles on the m5, and when ever I work on the m5 I can have a daily to rely on if I don't get the job done over night.
My question is what do you guys have for daily drivers? I'm also not trying to spend alot on a daily ($3000 tops)
I'm located in Sacramento CA if any of you guys have anything for sale :)
My ideas:
1)BMW e30 (89-91)
2)BMW e36 m3 (will be hard to find for under $3000) but I've seen a couple in CA sold for under 2k
3)Golf TDI (them mpg's :applause: )

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought a 96 Land Rover Discovery at auction for $750. I put about another $2000 into it. The idea was for it to be my DD, winter beater, and occasional trail rig. For the most part, it has been fulfilling its purpose, but it has been down frequently with repairs. I am currently rebuilding the entire front brake system and with any luck, that should keep me going for a while without any major repairs.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Jeep Cherokee Sport

Honda Accord

Miata

Golf

Impreza

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would not buy an e36 M3 for less than $3k and expect it do be a decent daily driver/backup car. Those are $10k cars regardless of what your purchase price is. I'd go with the e30.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I've rotated between many DDs during my M5 ownership:

88 CRX Si
94 Del Sol
99 E36 M3
00 S2000

At your price point, there are many options. Just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The //M5 is my DD. I only have about 35 miles a day.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Personally, Id get something really cheap to drive while the M5 is down for repairs but drive the M5 otherwise. I assume you bought the M5 to drive it, not just to look at it, so whats the point in owning it if your going to do most your driving in another vehicle? 23,000 miles a year in an M5 sounds like a dream to me!

If you NEED a second car, get an older GTi or mk IV GLI. Or a civic if you really want reliability.

I would not buy an e36 M3 for less than $3k and expect it do be a decent daily driver/backup car. Those are $10k cars regardless of what your purchase price is. I'd go with the e30.
...the idea that E36 M3s are $10k cars nowadays... :hihi:

·
Registered
48 Posts
A Subaru - bullet proof, most are available with a 3rd pedal, solid driving dynamics, dont have to be scared of one with 100k+ miles.

The turbos are fun and easily modified, but not efficient. NA you will get gas mileage better than your M5.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
No fun buying/driving a beater while a superior alternative collects dust in a garage. If winter isn't an issue, just drive the M; It's not a Ferrari Daytona. :3:

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
In the past year I've put on 23,000 miles on the M5 and she's been awesome, but i would really like to have a little daily on the side so I don't put as many miles on the m5, and when ever I work on the m5 I can have a daily to rely on if I don't get the job done over night.
My question is what do you guys have for daily drivers? I'm also not trying to spend alot on a daily ($3000 tops).
I'm located in Sacramento CA if any of you guys have anything for sale :)
My ideas:
1)BMW e30 (89-91)
2)BMW e36 m3 (will be hard to find for under $3000) but I've seen a couple in CA sold for under 2k
3)Golf TDI (them mpg's :applause: )
Perhaps some insight into what are the most important aspects of your DD? Fun to drive? Fuel efficiency? Carrying "stuff", or can you live with a 2 seater? Your choices above lean towards fun to drive, with the last one a concession to mileage.

Lots of choices out there, if you provide more info, I am sure this group can give you some excellent choices.

BTW, at $3k all in, don't expect much. To me, that would be a $1500 car that needs at least $1000 of work to make it a reliable DD.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
I drive a 96 Prelude with the H22 motor. Fun little car to drive with enough power and fuel economy. My daily commute is roughly 100 miles through traffic. If you want something reliable, you can't go wrong with a honda. My 540i/6 no longer gets any attention. I'm still debating whether to sell it or keep it. As GSfent mentioned, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of your daily car.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
$3K isn't much to work with. So if BMW probably a E30 or maybe a E36 318ti - check SF craigslist there is a blue one w/ manual and 180K miles that looks pretty nice that might be available close to your target price. You could also find a pretty decent E34 525i or 535i and those are not bad cars at all to drive daily.

What about an Integra GS?

·
Registered
470 Posts
My other daily is a minty 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight. It is certainly in your price range but I doubt it is your style. It is tough as nails and cheap to run though.
If you are looking for a soft, comfortable, mindless daily driver that is a tank in the snow then sure go for it. :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
2001 525i 5 speed. good gas mileage and its cheap to drive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have a 2011 kia optima sx turbo..love this car. thought i would give kia a try.. more toys then the M..now have to see how it holds out over the years..and a honda accord coupe.. we have snow so the M5 sleeps alot..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the middle of trying to sell of my e36 m3 and e36 328i to upgrade to an M5 but I also want a winter/hail storm/drive while the M5 is getting rod bearings vehicle. I'm stuck somewhere between Subaru Forester, XJ Cherokee, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord. My budget is also $3k. I basically want something that will only need oil changes and maybe brakes and something I won't care about when it's covered in an inch of ice. I cringe seeing my 328i outside in the elements but at 212k miles I probably shouldn't care.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I'm in the middle of trying to sell of my e36 m3 and e36 328i to upgrade to an M5 but I also want a winter/hail storm/drive while the M5 is getting rod bearings vehicle. I'm stuck somewhere between Subaru Forester, XJ Cherokee, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord. My budget is also $3k. I basically want something that will only need oil changes and maybe brakes and something I won't care about when it's covered in an inch of ice. I cringe seeing my 328i outside in the elements but at 212k miles I probably shouldn't care.
Based on that limited criteria, and location, I would want something with 4wd or AWD. Subie with turbo and stick (if available, it was in the Legacy) would be a reasonably fun, practical car. Old Cherokee wears like iron, you certainly won't be too concerned about it sitting outside. Not much in the ride/comfort department compared to a Subie, but tons of cheap parts available for anything that might go wrong. The straight 6 is a tank, and available in stick with selectable 4WD.

Just my $.02, adjusted for inflation, the prime rate, and Obamacare..........................

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts