BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Gumball van out for a 4x4 rally with 100 other Sportsmobiles. One of the vans there was Caltech's D.A.R.P.A. entrant, a 2 million dollar sportsmobile...

This is a 4x4 Sportsmobile that drives itself offroad at 30 mph.

The dash is stuffed with computers, electronics, hydrolics, and the guidence system from a Northup-Gruman tactical missle.

They have 4 workstations inside, each with full racing harnesses so the programers can test out their code onboard, make adjustments and try again. Every other contestant has to download their code, take it to their workstations to rewrite, then return to their vehicle to upload to try again.

The Caltech students explain why there's 2 million bucks of goodies inside the van.

Here's all the other SMB owners lined up to watch the demo.

Here's the van driving itself at 30 mph.

The test didn't exactly work correctly. Actually, the van did exactly what it was told, it's just the programmers didn't to turn on the obstacle avoidance software. So the van tried to go over a 1 foot square rock at 30 mph. They shut it down, but the van woulda gone right over it no problem if they hadn't.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We did an article on that pentagon-sponsored project last year (DARPA).
Pretty cool & geeky challenge, I hope this year someone actually drives more than a couple of miles!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Caltech guys were saying out of the 20 teams entered, they think 10 have a chance of finishing, and 3 will pull it off for sure. This is why they have their van set to run 20-30mph as speed will most likely determine the winner.

Last year I believe a barbed-wire fence screwed it up for most teams. The sensors didn't pick up the wire, but the vehicles sensed resistance so they wouldn't procceed through it.

@ Le Car; Will you guys be reporting on it again this year? I think it will be the real deal this time around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts