BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been wanting to do a vented M3 Hood conversion for quite some time now. I know most buy the carbon fiber or aftermarket versions and as much as I want the weight savings I can’t live with the gap between the kidneys and the hood. I recently bought all the components to make a custom hood but because of the complexity of welding steel and aluminum he is recommending to purchase a steel hood and weld it to steel. I know the hood will weigh a few pounds more I’m not sure maybe 10-15. Is there any downside such as steel producing more heat? I am supercharged and am hoping the vents will do more cooling. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve been wanting to do a vented M3 Hood conversion for quite some time now. I know most buy the carbon fiber or aftermarket versions and as much as I want the weight savings I can’t live with the gap between the kidneys and the hood. I recently bought all the components to make a custom hood but because of the complexity of welding steel and aluminum he is recommending to purchase a steel hood and weld it to steel. I know the hood will weigh a few pounds more I’m not sure maybe 10-15. Is there any downside such as steel producing more heat? I am supercharged and am hoping the vents will do more cooling. Any input would be appreciated.
Here's what happened when my fabricator tried to weld the m3 hood dome onto a 5 series hood.

Hes gonna give it a second go around as he agreed to get me another hood and try again. I confirmed if he can do it properly than waste our time and his money and he feels he can do it correctly the second time around.

I wouldn't go steel, seems like the weight would be an issue with the factory shock lifters for the hood plus heat etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what happened when my fabricator tried to weld the m3 hood dome onto a 5 series hood.

Hes gonna give it a second go around as he agreed to get me another hood and try again. I confirmed if he can do it properly than waste our time and his money and he feels he can do it correctly the second time around.

I wouldn't go steel, seems like the weight would be an issue with the factory shock lifters for the hood plus heat etc.
My shop is worried over time it will crack from the heat. What material is the dome made out of?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts