BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am looking into getting a custom exhaust made for my e39 M5. Any reason why I should not go ahead with it? Are there any pros and cons between custom and one off the shelf?

Was looking for a Tubi but with shipping costs it would be more cost effective to get one made.

Thanks in advance.

- Kin

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well I'll give an opinion...

I wouldn't do it-

How would you know if it is better or worse? What kind of R&D and testing will the shop be doing on this custom? What kind of engineering do they perform?

All the aftermarket exhausts are know quantities- why do you need to toss the stock for an unknown performer???

You asked my view...

Ard

·
Registered
356 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems if you use a good exhaust guy and use high quality parts like OEM style hangers, stainless tubing, and good mufflers.

John

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
jeeperjohn said:
You shouldn't have any problems if you use a good exhaust guy and use high quality parts like OEM style hangers, stainless tubing, and good mufflers.

John
Then why all the discussions here about Tubi versus Supersprint versus...

I am truly confused- if it is just a matter of welding up pipe- any any design works- why is there ANY discussion of the relative merits of one mfg over another?

·
10,455 Posts
diameter, quality of the bends, placement of the crossover, i think there's a lot of important variables. Not sure how much money you'd actually save, especially if you had to re-do it for some reason.
Mike

·
Registered
330 Posts
Doing custom exhaust is fine. IMO a lot of engineering is not involved with some of the systems we have been paying hundreds or a couple thousand, plus the quality of some of these aftermarket systems is ok, not spectacular for the price we pay.

The only drawback you may have on going custom is the sound, you may have to play with some different mufflers if sounding the coolest coming around the corner concerns you.

If you do decide to run aftermarket I would prefer the Tubi over all the others at this point concerning real power gain, appearance, sound, fit & finish.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I think member Rampage has a custom one made by Hayward & Scott. I've not seen or heard it yet but hope to do so at the April 17th London meet.

You may want to send him a PM to find out more.

B

·
0 Posts
It certainly can be done. However, before proceeding I would recommend looking at the total expected cost. There are other less expensive options on the market than the Supersprint and the Tubi, so self-fabrication is not the best way to go.

As we speak there are 2 new companies that are in the process of releasing new exhausts for the M5 (e39) that will retail for around $900.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hayward and scott are a reputable company that really look after people.

However with a normally aspirated engine the size/flow of the exhaust is very important. I would never go for a custom exhaust unless i had lots of money to do the r+d on the bhp improvements and experimentation with elbow shapes and sizes and such like.. There's something called resonance which you need to understand to make it work properly.. *you can actually LOSE power with a badly tuned exhaust* If you just want to change the noise just change the back boxes.. much easier and cheaper..!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have Hayward and Scott back boxes only, I bought them off someone who had sold his M5, he said they cost him £600 to have them custom made. It turned out to my shock during the fitting at H&S with the X-Pipe I had bought that they have no silencing at all, just straight through (dummy boxes). So in removing all the silencing it was so loud :eek: I had to get the OEM centre resonator put back in. (cheap plug... X-Pipe is for sale on the sales forum :M5thumbs: ) Its no Tubi but cost nowt in comparison! and looks stock.

I have no idea if it makes any more power but sounds awesome, especially at full chat... a cross between a TVR and an Overfinch LandRover...(if you have ever heard one) certainly not for the faint hearted hiha

Yep will there on the 17th, you'll hear me coming... When I get a chance I'll do a quick vid... :M5launch:

-Steve

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hemm... I am just afraid to loose any power. That would not be good eh? Might just get them to do a custom backbox then to improve the sound. sounds like the best way to go?

Would love the Tubi but with shipping tax and installation it would be nearly a €4000 install.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Kin Mak said:
be nearly a €4000 install.
Crazy Price!!!

What you need is a 63mm German steel for X-pipe (same as SS X-pipe)...and nice back boxes...You wont loose any power...but it will Rev's easier...Make sure back boxes are not too small, otherwise it will sound too loud...

Mine costed me fitted $800 or 900 US I dont remember exactly...

Oh...I found it...hehe...the only link is working with my vid...some sound from inside the car...

http://members.home.nl/nica23/BMW M5 vs Audi RS4 MTM.mpg

Getting new throtle bodies soon and some video will come...of course if Beckhammania23 :byee55amg will host them...

B

·
0 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Hemm... I am just afraid to loose any power. That would not be good eh? Might just get them to do a custom backbox then to improve the sound. sounds like the best way to go?

Would love the Tubi but with shipping tax and installation it would be nearly a €4000 install.
Like I mentioned above, there are several other less expensive options on the market and some that are coming soon. You could have a high-quality system on you car for €1,500 (including shipping, customs, VAT and installation.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BeastPower said:
Like I mentioned above, there are several other less expensive options on the market and some that are coming soon. You could have a high-quality system on you car for €1,500 (including shipping, customs, VAT and installation.

Cheers, Daniel.
Good to know, keep me posted. I will keep an eye out for you on your site as well.

- Kin

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
That vid is famous. I read somewhere that the audi was a 600bhp MTM upgrade!! I know the M5 has lots of torque, but sounds like it could have been in a lower gear some of the time - might have hung on a little better. Regardless though, its very quick. And its one incredible race. Don't think I'd have the nerve for it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
:byee55amg :M5rev: :M5launch: ...Sooooon... :eek:

Yep 602 HP MTM and I could sometimes go lower gear and my steering wheel was shaking cause my brake discs were bad...Idiots at BMW put them wrong sides...

Otherwise it could be closer...but 180-185hp difference.. with equal driver...Not even a comparision...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts