BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a new home and I'd like to do something a little fun for the garage where my M5 will be stored at. The garage size is 22 feet x 26 feet with a 9 foot ceiling. Any fun ideas?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am in the process of building a new home and I'd like to do something a little fun for the garage where my M5 will be stored at. The garage size is 22 feet x 26 feet with a 9 foot ceiling. Any fun ideas?
Before you move anything into that garage - Racedeck flooring. In a matter of a year, your bare concrete floor will look like garbage so having this stuff will really keep it clean and look great too. I did a black and gray checkerboard pattern.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
unfoundhorsepower was doing something with his garage, maybe he can share what he ended up doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you move anything into that garage - Racedeck flooring. In a matter of a year, your bare concrete floor will look like garbage so having this stuff will really keep it clean and look great too. I did a black and gray checkerboard pattern.
I was wanting to do epoxy on the floors, but in looking at the Racedeck flooring, that's definitely an option as well. With the epoxy, I was considering doing some sort of M5 medallion on the floor as well, but I don't want it to look too tacky and, heaven forbid, I might sell the M5 in the future during a temporary lapse of sanity.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did a climbing wall in mine. It's lots of fun. :)
I like the novel idea, but with the 9' ceiling I don't think it will be too useful. How high is the ceiling in your garage? Now, the upstairs garage has a 16' ceiling though, but I'd probably kill someone with one on it.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
I like the novel idea, but with the 9' ceiling I don't think it will be too useful. How high is the ceiling in your garage? Now, the upstairs garage has a 16' ceiling though, but I'd probably kill someone with one on it.
Mine is maybe a few feet taller than that, but not that much. You don't need it much higher, and the ceiling makes for a great overhang.

Putting plywood up:

The guy who helped (actually, did almost all of the work designing and putting wood up) is someone who does wall design for most of the local climbing gyms:

Unfortunately, there was that RG6 cabling running through the middle of it. Bleh.

Had that section rerouted. Then, used about 12 tubes of LiquidNails to fill in the cracks, knots, etc. Then, went over everything with a belt sander, then orbital sander:

This section took a LOT of layers to fill in:

Oil based primer. Nasty smelling, but it sticks:

Took some flexible water tubing and cut it into little 1" sections... about 500 of them. Stuck them in every single t-bolt hole. That took SERIOUSLY forever... blisters galore.

Reason for all of those plugs? Here it is: high grit texture paint. It goes on like mud. Thick and nasty stuff, but it gives a great climbing surface. Also scrapes the @#$#@ out of your elbows and knees if you accidentally slip. LOL.

Climbing holds starting to go on, starting with some big ones for my 6 year old. He loves climbing, though not as much as riding in the Noble. Fingerboards in too to work on strength, since typing all day only does so much.

Alas, evicted!

Almost done. Lots more holds on, a few routes, places to dino:

And finally, back into the garage:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dude, climbing wall is super cool. Like the Garage toys as well. Looks like you got the right idea on how to spend your money.

·
Registered
204 Posts
kool idea but i wouldnt be able to let go of all that unused space behind the walls. btw what car is that in the garage? makes me think carrera gt but i know im wrong..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
kool idea but i wouldnt be able to let go of all that unused space behind the walls. btw what car is that in the garage? makes me think carrera gt but i know im wrong..
It's a Noble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts