BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

Someone asked for a recording of my system a little while back.
I just recorded idle with revving and then a 1st gear, 2nd gear and back (the road was wet and so traction was obviously a problem)

Feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sounds like a V8 should :D , reminds me of the Kelleners with Xpipe, nice & throaty with that lovely deep V8 rumble. :M5thumbs:

Thanks for posting.

C.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sounds good, sorry for not being very observant but what kind of exhaust is this? Josh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmwusa said:
Sounds good, sorry for not being very observant but what kind of exhaust is this? Josh
My cats were removed by a previous owner, I had the resonator removed, keeping the original H-pipe. 2.5 inch stainless steel tubes were then custom shaped and a couple of Rage Mufflers added (choose the tip afterwards) - all stainless steel welded and bolted back on.
Total cost $1,400 NZD or about $985 USD.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks, sounds good, thanks for sharing, Josh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Couple of questions:

1. Do you have before and after dyno plots?
2. If you take a road trip ~2 hours at 80-100 will your ears start to bleed?

Andy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
__Andy__ said:
Couple of questions:

1. Do you have before and after dyno plots?
2. If you take a road trip ~2 hours at 80-100 will your ears start to bleed?

Andy
Answers:

1/ Sorry no dyno plots - I did it for the sound as the car has enough power to get me in trouble - I have found that out!

2/ Cabin noise is not raised too much - any passenger would know something is special/different but radio and conversation levels only need be as they were before (this actually surprised me, as I did a similar mod on an e46 330 and it was a little 'droney' at the speed limit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
robord535 said:
2/ Cabin noise is not raised too much - any passenger would know something is special/different but radio and conversation levels only need be as they were before
That's a bonus. Do you notice any differences in the power delivery at all? more/less midrange, better top end? Anything?

Andy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
__Andy__ said:
That's a bonus. Do you notice any differences in the power delivery at all? more/less midrange, better top end? Anything?

Andy
I was still getting used to the car when I had the mod done.
I have practised launches and without any clutch slip and on a dry road you can fight to stop the back end stepping out right through 1st and 2nd gear.
As I am getting use to the car I have found my techniques show me that the car is all the beast I would ever want.
I have tested the car on a deserted straight and the car was still acceleration noticably at 270km/h (167mph) would easily have continued but birds were about.
I image the mod will have made some power gain.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
__Andy__ said:

Andy
Not sure if this will help answer (maybe the same for everyone else)
I plan most rapid overtaking by selecting the gear that starts me at 3000rpm.
She really pulls from there!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Very Nice sound. Shows you don't have to spend a heap to get something good, if I recall your other thread right.

I don't see the point of gaining a few horse power though as some have asked. What's 8 or 10 horsepower when you already have 400....

On normal roads its hard enough to pull on those 400 already. If you do track days ok but otherwise, personally (and thats not at all criticizing people who think the contraire and find dino's indispensable)I don't see the point of looking for more power at this leavel. Looks and sound ok but power.... Some will never have enough. When you have 100 you want 200 but then you get them... you want 300... Where does it stop. (I'm the same, be assured or I would have bought a 525i)hiha

Just an example, on Top Gear this week they measured a 911 GT3 RS against a Ferrari 360 strada (track version of the 360) When we saw the Stig take the track with the 360, it looked super quick, sliding everywere and sounded soooo load (and magnificent). Then he took the Porsche (which is 1/3 cheaper) and not as powerful. It looked slow and was much quieter emphasising that impression of slowness. It didn't move and was very clean around. When the times came around they were identical to the tenth of a second. So power is not everything.

The moral to the story (if there is one, and I'm not moralising any one ouich ) sound does a lot for the impression of power.

And man does that V8 sound terrific with modifed exhaust. (and I doubt any one here thinks the opposite).:thumbsup:

Regards to all

·
Registered
55 Posts
marcducati said:
I don't see the point of gaining a few horse power though as some have asked. What's 8 or 10 horsepower when you already have 400....
I don't necessarily see the point of a handful more horsepower either -- but I have been operating under the assumption that if you're spending money on engine/intake/exhaust work, it's to improve engine response, so I would like to see evidence of that. Maybe there's an exhaust that'll give you an extra 30lbft in the midrange? That would be a real sensation. Perhaps it gives 8bhp more, or 8bhp less, who cares when you've got that great new midrange?

The M5 is a performance car and to my mind the ONLY reason to spend any money or time on the car would be if it made the thing go quicker. And if, as a compromise/side effect this means losing some of the positive attributes of the car, for example the fact that it's so wonderfully silent and understated while it goes about its business, well you have to weigh that up in the negative column.

But what I have realised is that some of you guys have other priorities and with exhausts it's all about the sound that it makes, putting a big hole in the midrange or lopping 25bhp off the top is simply so irrelevant that there's no need even to mearure it. I can't understand that but hey, each to their own.

So if you want to drive a noisy V8 why aren't you saving money and buying 540s and "tuning" those up instead? They're probably fairly fast. You could even glue an M5 badge on the back if you like. After all, performance is secondary right?

All in good spirit guys, I know life is a rich tapestry.

Andy

·
Registered
315 Posts
One reason why I didn't buy a 540, it's not an M5

And it is less powerfull. Don't get me wrong I love a powerful engin, I wouldn't have bought an M5 otherwise, but 400 is plenty for me at least. The exhaust is only about sound to me. The OEM are so quiet its a whisper.

And again, my Post was not a critque destined at any one but a personal opinion.

As you say very truely "hey, each to their own."

wouldn't life be a bore if we all agreaed all the time :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts