BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah, clear as mud. Not one of the numbered items specifically identified the resonator or secondary cats. Thanks though.
Sorry but there is no helping you. If pictures don't work I am not sure what else will. Good Luck....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well you don't have to be an a** about it. I was stating a fact regarding your link. I have built over hundred cars and really don't need that much assistance with these things. But when I haven't had time to look under my recently purchased M5, I thought I would ask. Please keep your @!#$ sarcasm to yourself. Others in this forum would appreciate it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
OK- Let me make sure I got this because I'm thinking about having my muffler guy do some custom work instead of getting ripped of by RPI, etc.
You're link is "with the resonator"? As in "stock" still? So why is it so loud? What did I miss?
Hi eddie - I am currently considering a rpi exhaust and have compared the performance and pricing aspects of similar exhaust systems available (eisenmann, meisterschaft, akrapovic, dinan, kreissieg) and have found RPi to be the highest rated in terms of hp gains per dollar (based on retail price) Would you be so kind as to elaborate on which aspect of RPi could be considered a "ripoff?" Have you purchased or used one of their systems before, that would bring you to such an opinion? If so, please kindly share as I have previously stated, I am considering a purchase and would greatly appreciate knowing before hand from you,why an RPi puchase would be considered a "ripoff" What did "I" miss?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm glad you asked that. Actually when I said "RPI etc", I meant many after market bolt-on systems. With those, you pay for bolt-on convenience, engineering, marketing, retailer mark up, and popularity. I love those systems but find the profit margin is not realistic.
That said I have bought bolt on systems (when the price was right) and have built custom systems. I've also heard a few M5's with custom systems that sound pretty darn great for about $500 or more.
So RPI and the like are great products but... I'm just one of those guys who doesn't have the money for the easy stuff so I find other ways to achieve my goals.
Some may argue that the HP gains are better with the bolt-on kits. That may be true in many cases. But, how concerned are you about 5 or 10 HP. If you want big power, start at the motor and work your way back. But be careful. It's addicting and you rarely get that money back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was hoping for pics of the finised Maganflow custom job so I can see which Maganflows you used.
Also, what are those two little resonator looking things by the rear swing arms before the factory mufflers?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Eddie Those things your talking about are heat shields my exhaust had them also. There are bushings and ect... very close to the piping so those are just for some extra protection. I will definitely snap some photos of the mufflers today.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi All, I am very new here and have had my M5 for about 4 months. The video sounds great! The only thing i have done is to delete the secondary Cats and replace with straight pipes and am strongly considering removing resonator and upgrading the x-pipe. Could you summarize what exactly you have done to the exhaust? Did you delete the rear mufflers also? Can you post pictures of the underside?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts