BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back at the garage today again.
The engine warning light has been coming on and off during the weekend.

Two weeks ago I picked up my car after the re-build of the magnetic valve for the Vanos. Now the engine warning light is on again. This time it is the Camshaft sensor at the rear of Cylinder bank 1!!
Also the telephone that BMW changed 10 months ago has to be changed again.
Over the last year, which is the time I have owned the car, it has been to the garage 9 times!! :grrrr:
- Changing the brake rotors (twice)
- Changing the phone (twice to diagnose and once to do the actual change)
- Normal service (the only time it should have been there)
- Analisys of the Vanos problem
- Changing the Vanos magnetic valve
- Diagnosing the Camshaft sensor problem (whick also reviels that one of the rear PDC sensors is faulty, which I allready knew. It starts yapping when I drive forward after having reversed. I think the car is afraid of it's own shaddow ;) )
- A visit to change the camshaft sensor and the phone by the end of this week(hopefully both items have arrived from Geremany at the same time)

Perhaps I should change to a Skoda or any other well build car?
Compared to my E34 M5 they are light years apart when it comes to build quality.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Dear ilundber:

Do not yet give up hope. I suspect that the VANOS problem has been a bad exhaust cam sensor all along. I had the same thing happen to me. My 2001 was in the shop for 22 days while the mechanics tried to fix my reoccurring VANOS problem. When they finaly replaced a couple cam sensors the problem when away and the car has been fantastic ever since. That was 30,000 miles ago.

Hang in there and good luck.

Derek

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the support.
The first vanos problem was on cylinder bank No.2 and this one is on No.1. The first problem caused oil to be force fed into the air filters, this problem "just" makes the car run badly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts