BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've not done too badly, 21500 miles and the rears need replacing. What is the current wisdom regarding tyres to go for on the E60 M5? Looking for something cost effective and long lasting as I am sure that tyres have moved on in the two years I've owned the beast! Cheers and beers :)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I switched from ContiSports to Michelin Pilot Sport 2's and the PS2's were much better. The car felt a lot more planted on the road compared with the jittery Contis.

EVO magazine seem to favour the Good Year F1's but I have no experience of these.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
long lasting ?????? Nada...Ps'2 or stick with the original Cont's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys, now I just have to find a cheap source, looking online they are coming up at about £360 each! Ouch!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Looking for something cost effective and long lasting
If you want something long lasting, I think your only solution is to drive slower:7:...

I found the cost of the Contis and PS2's to be similar, in fact I'm sure the PS2's were cheaper last time I got them. Also watch out for places doing 25% discount if you buy 4 tyres etc.

Got my last set of PS2's from ATS which had 25% off, but that price was similar to what I could have got from North East Tyres & Exhausts with no discount and they are prepared to give disount, so shop around.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well I've not done too badly, 21500 miles and the rears need replacing.
I just noticed your first comment. You want something long lasting.

Is that 21500 miles on one set of rears :confused: HOW... and if it is, isn't that long enough... I'm guessing you live in a large city..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that 21500 miles on one set of rears :confused: HOW...
Yes it is! It must be because I am getting old! I must use launch control for the first time before my new tyres are fitted on Monday :)

BTW I got a cracking deal on the Michelins, £240 each from my usual guy in Stratford :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes it is! It must be because I am getting old! I must use launch control for the first time before my new tyres are fitted on Monday :)

BTW I got a cracking deal on the Michelins, £240 each from my usual guy in Stratford :M5thumbs:

That is a good price... I think I last paid just over £1K for all 4. For some reason Michelins in the UK seem to be very reasonable. I'm sure it helps being a repeat customer.

Talking prices, I was in a service station on the A1 today and on the front page of a paper it said fuel to hit ~£1.50 per litre (nearly $3 in US). That will make running the beast interesting, almost a 50% increase, good job I don't believe newspaper headlines. It was on the cover of a rather shabby paper.

So start using launch control while the petrol is still affordable and you never know, if you need new tyres more frequently, you may get more discount.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Let me guess Nathan... Daily Express or Daily Mail?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gee you guys have it sweet. I am trying to get PS2's here and no one imports them. There are some Contis coming into the country but the price works out at £500 each or $US1000 per tyre. Someone is clipping the ticket too much here.

Question - Are the PS2's run flats?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually my tyre guy said the Contis were on a long lead time, apparently they only make those from time to time :confused: Still, according to the venerable Ashok the Michelins are better, I look forward to finding out. It wont be long till I need fronts too :rolleyes:

Speaking of fuel costs I paid £1.16 per litre for Shell premium unleaded in Cardiff yesterday, that, I think is a record! Ouch!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I switched from ContiSports to Michelin Pilot Sport 2's and the PS2's were much better. The car felt a lot more planted on the road compared with the jittery Contis.
Well Ashok, having had the PS2's on the rear now for a couple of days I have to say I completely agree with your comment. When I saw the tread pattern it looked like there was less rubber on the ground due to the wide grooves down the middle, but when I pull out of my drive onto a country road every day and hammer it as I have done for the last year or so it feels so much more stable at the back with almost no jitters or oversteer. I would say it is unequivocal since I know that manoeuvre and the subsequent short hop to/from work so very well.

Whether they'll last 22k miles or not is less clear ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts