BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I purchased my black on black 2000 e39 M5 a while ago and recently bought a Range Rover to tow the boat. I love my e39, but also having an e60 m5 in the garage is getting a bit much.

Please guide me to what my asking price should be when listing the e39 for sale (potentially within the next month).

-2000 E39 M5
-Black on Black
-150,000 Miles
-$9,000 in maintenance within past 10k miles (clutch, control arms, vanos solenoids, camshaft sensors, thermo, starter, battery, toyo tires on all four, all fluids/filters, oem alternator from bmw, front/rear brakes, and more)
-Facelift Headlights with Umnitza rings
-Facelift Taillights
-BMW Roof Racks
-4 Step Detail with Opti done by @ACI_dynamix
-New front and rear bumpers perfect paint match
-Stock other than Muffler Delete done by @ACI_dynamix
-2 Keys+original manual
-No Accident/Clean Carfax

Its silly to me that all the e39's I see for sale with similar milage are going for 11k-16k but having put over $12,000 in a few months makes it difficult to put a price. Everywhere I go in the beast, nobody believes the mileage.

Please leave a comment on a suggested price and here are a few pictures!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'd say price it at $18k and hope that someone takes into account the recent work. I'm assuming the interior is as nice as the exterior at that price. The reality is the $13-15k is probably where you're going to need to sell. There are so many later models with desirable mods and half the miles for sale on the board right now. It appears to be a very nice car though so GLWS.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Sovende96, sorry to see your thinking about selling the beast. Sent you a PM in regards to something else

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Zero.

Looks like it's ready for long term ownership.

:cool2:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Yeah unfortunately for most buyers the amount of work you put into it recently won't make that big of a difference. It certainly isnt gong to fetch you market value + the cost of recent repairs. Those looking to pay a premium usually want a lower mileage example. I would list at $17-18k and be happy with anything around $14k.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I'd say price it at $18k and hope that someone takes into account the recent work.
We would all hope for that to happen. Wish you best, and you should just keep it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would suggest getting rid of the tamper dot on the cluster if you want people to believe the amount of miles :)

Is that because you swapped to a 01+ cluster and didn't get the VIN coded? You can fix that with PA Soft easily.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Also, having all records of work done on the car will help immensely. Nice car BTW.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
$16100. $16k for the car and $100 for the root rack!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi to all, mabye at the end of the day I will hold on to it a bit longer, and for BlackNight who was wodnering about the tamper dot, the cluster was sent out to get the pixels repaired and came back with the dot. Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Did you drive the car while the cluster was out?
The only thing that would affect the tamper dot is the VIN not matching. Since it is a 2000 model, wouldn't it have come with the black face gauges? Since he has the gray faced ones, I'm guessing at some point it was replaced. The VIN number may never have been changed to match the car. OP, did you purchase the car with the gray faced gauges already? Have you hooked up INPA or DIS, etc. to see if the mileage matches the rest of the modules?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing that would affect the tamper dot is the VIN not matching. Since it is a 2000 model, wouldn't it have come with the black face gauges? Since he has the gray faced ones, I'm guessing at some point it was replaced. The VIN number may never have been changed to match the car. OP, did you purchase the car with the gray faced gauges already? Have you hooked up INPA or DIS, etc. to see if the mileage matches the rest of the modules?
I bought the car with the gray faced gauges and yes the car was hooked up and mielage verified. Shows on carfax too.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Well what I was going on to say was, that if there is even a 15 mile difference between the cluster, LCM and (I think) the IKE. It will throw the tamper dot.

Perhaps as blackknight said, the cluster was changed out. But I've had three model year 2000 m5's before and two of those three had grey-faced clusters from the factory.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why would you list a car for 18k and take 14k? I dont feel like negotiating a car down 20-25%. If I saw that car listed at 18k, I wouldnt even bother contacting the seller. Just my 2 cents.

I dont think its necessarily a desirable color combo and the miles are highish, but 14k is probably realistic IMO given the recent work and updated headlights and tail lights.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For good or bad, ignorance or not, the 2000 cars just don't carry the same value as the facelift models. BTDT. Even with the work done (all of which is pretty normal for a fifteen year-old BMW) I'd suggest that the car is not worth more than $14K and you'd be lucky to get that much.

Just my opinion, which is worth basically what you paid for it.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Well what I was going on to say was, that if there is even a 15 mile difference between the cluster, LCM and (I think) the IKE. It will throw the tamper dot.

Perhaps as blackknight said, the cluster was changed out. But I've had three model year 2000 m5's before and two of those three had grey-faced clusters from the factory.

Untrue. You can drive it without the cluster. The threshold is much greater than 15 miles and closer to over 100 miles. I know because while I had my cluster out to repair it myself, I drive it and I didn't get a tamper dot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts