BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't BMW sort out their cupholders?

I bought a £37,000 330Ci Sport Convertible last year and it didn't have any cupholders. My dad has a 540i and because of the Sat Nav controls he hasn't got cupholders. And in my 2000 model M5 Beast I have got cupholders, and their cr*p! The cup just flies out when you turn a corner. Maybe BMW should stop investing money in building hideous cars like the X3 and 1-series, and instead invest the money in sorting out the cupholders in the 3 and 5 series. After all, how hard can it be!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Try this... Ultimate Cupholder

I just put one in and I love it. Installs in 30 seconds or less! Perfect location, out of the way and holds just about any size of bottle or cup you may have!

:cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your a star! one of them is winging its way to me!

XrayMD said:
Try this... Ultimate Cupholder

I just put one in and I love it. Installs in 30 seconds or less! Perfect location, out of the way and holds just about any size of bottle or cup you may have!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Not happy with any of the solutions. I'll post a pic of my own solution just for laughs when I get home...

The Tec is now an official BMW accessory. I'm on the waiting list at crevier. 700 on backorder. $70. Direct from tec $85 IIRC. One ebay $90+ (go figure)

A

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the tecaccessory, which I love the location, but the regualr size cups

are a bit loose, bigger cups work better. i am going to buy the ultiamte cupholder, it seems to be out of the way, and if by some chance, it
did spill, its right near the floor, easier cleanup. :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
99 Posts
M5BHP said:

I bought a £37,000 330Ci Sport Convertible last year and it didn't have any cupholders. My dad has a 540i and because of the Sat Nav controls he hasn't got cupholders. And in my 2000 model M5 Beast I have got cupholders, and their cr*p! The cup just flies out when you turn a corner. Maybe BMW should stop investing money in building hideous cars like the X3 and 1-series, and instead invest the money in sorting out the cupholders in the 3 and 5 series. After all, how hard can it be!
Germans don't drink and drive so they are not a high priority in the engineering of the interior. :wroom:<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
205 Posts
M5BHP said:
The Ultimate cupholder is a less expensive, more practical alternative to either the OEM or other aftermarket cupholders. It costs one-third as much as the TEC cupholder!

Mike

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Stevus said:
I have the tecaccessory, which I love the location, but the regualr size cups
. :M5launch: :M5launch:
I noticed the same thing originally. Then I saw the little stick on inserts provided which take up any slack for slightly smaller cups and compress for larger ones. I haven't had any spills or problems. cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Apex said:
Germans don't drink and drive so they are not a high priority in the engineering of the interior. :wroom:<o:p></o:p>
Well, they don't read and speak english as a rule... so why do they bother translating the owners manual or putting english on the vehicle?

A rhetorical question, but they just cannot decide what the market wants- the market decides. They can choose to ignore this at their peril.

Although, I will admit, I knew the cupholders sucked prior to purchase- didn't cause me a moment's pause. :)

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
DON'T LAUGH...........

OK.

Consider this a prototype... it looks fugly but works pretty well...

My solution to the cupholder issue- at least for now. Principal benefit? Higher up than the ultimate, way more secure than the TEC. If it spills it is on the floor, not the console.

Plus- Dirt cheap. :)

A

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sorry Ard...I still prefer the Ultimate!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
hey, it's a work in progress....

Actually, I admit it is a piece of ____ to hang on the interior. At least I can toss it in the trunk when I have company. :(

In fact, I've been chatting with mike at ultimate, and will likely pick one up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
May I just add......

If you're driving a 400bhp vehicle you shouldn't really have a beverage in your hand/holder. It's a performance saloon not an armchair!! ;)

Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Uktimate Cup Holder is the way to go. I purchased two; one for driver and one for front passenger. They are easy to install (no moving parts or screws needed), hold drinks of various sizes quite well, are easy to use, and are out of the way so that if you did spill a drink it would not get on anything except the carpet. And if you ever sell the M5 they are easily removed and moved to another car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
M500PMW said:
May I just add......

If you're driving a 400bhp vehicle you shouldn't really have a beverage in your hand/holder. It's a performance saloon not an armchair!! ;)

Regards
Peter.
Well. . . .we're not talking about a pint of good English ale here, now are we?! :haha:

Here in sunny California, we don't go anywhere without our cafe lattés close at hand!

Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Well. . . .we're not talking about a pint of good English ale here, now are we?! :haha:

Here in sunny California, we don't go anywhere without our cafe lattés close at hand!

Mike
Well, I was also going to point out that here in the states you can drive more than two hours before you hit water... and long term sustenance is essential.

A

(PS Yes, I know it is further than two hours.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts