BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I came across a ctsv coupe last night on mopac in Austin. Tried to get him to run from a roll. He wasn't interested. Just wanted to get a feel for how quick they were!
anyone had a run with one?
Wm

·
Registered
105 Posts
556Hp 551 lb.-ft., 4254lbs, 0-60: 4.0s, 1/4: 12.3 @117.9

Need mods to beat that I'd say at least header-back exhaust and aggressive tune. But if the Caddy is modded then no chance.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Man, it has that much power???? to bad its not a BMW or i would have bought that instead..... I love my M5 no matter how slow it is.

Reactions: V10PWR

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to car and driver the coupe had a 7/10mph faster trap speed than the sedan and the M6 performance #'s in comparison are 500Hp 383lb.-ft, 3909lbs, 0-60: 4.5s, 1/4: 12.5s @???mph

Perhaps the gearing/drag coefficients favor the M cars at higher speeds but unless you have plenty of road to catch up the Caddy will stay ahead.

sedean is faster ... M6 will kill both !!

·
Registered
550 Posts
to bad its not a BMW or i would have bought that instead
That's a silly thing to say. It's a badass car for what it is, and can be made a lot faster than it is already for VERY cheap. These people are getting 700hp with just a few thousand dollars worth of mods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's a silly thing to say. It's a badass car for what it is, and can be made a lot faster than it is already for VERY cheap. These people are getting 700hp with just a few thousand dollars worth of mods.
Dare I say my next car will be a Cadillac??? :eek7:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I would like to point out that the Cadillac played a numbers game with the CTS-V and did so very well.

Stock for stock, a CTS-V (coupe or sedan) will undoubtedly beat an M5 or M6 in the quarter mile.

However, take a look at this video:

YouTube - Cadillac CTS-V vs BMW M5 by autocar.co.uk

You can see that the CTS-V makes it to 60 and crosses the 1/4 mile mark faster than the M5, but notice that at the 1/4 mile mark the M5 is actually at a higher speed, and as you see, it eventually passes the CTS-V at a pretty astonishing rate (you could dare to say it blows past it).

I should also mention they were on a poor surface so the actual numbers of both cars were not up to published values, but the cars were both on "equal ground" in this regard.

So while a CTS-V does get off the line much quicker, the M5 and M6 definitely have the advantage at higher speeds and will pretty much always pull ahead as long as the race goes on long enough.

Regarding the "mod-ability" of the two cars, yes, the M5 and M6 are much more expensive to modify and they do not realize as much power gains, but at this rate you might as well bring in many other cars. You bought an M5 or M6 for the package of luxury and performance. If you want to just talk about performance for the money I don't think anyone can argue much with a used $25,000 Lancer Evolution 8 or 9 with about 10K into the motor... You'll be looking at 3200lbs and 600+ AWD HP. No one would touch you below 150mph.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would like to point out that the Cadillac played a numbers game with the CTS-V and did so very well.

Stock for stock, a CTS-V (coupe or sedan) will undoubtedly beat an M5 or M6 in the quarter mile.

However, take a look at this video:

YouTube - Cadillac CTS-V vs BMW M5 by autocar.co.uk

You can see that the CTS-V makes it to 60 and crosses the 1/4 mile mark faster than the M5, but notice that at the 1/4 mile mark the M5 is actually at a higher speed, and as you see, it eventually passes the CTS-V at a pretty astonishing rate (you could dare to say it blows past it).

I should also mention they were on a poor surface so the actual numbers of both cars were not up to published values, but the cars were both on "equal ground" in this regard.

So while a CTS-V does get off the line much quicker, the M5 and M6 definitely have the advantage at higher speeds and will pretty much always pull ahead as long as the race goes on long enough.

Regarding the "mod-ability" of the two cars, yes, the M5 and M6 are much more expensive to modify and they do not realize as much power gains, but at this rate you might as well bring in many other cars. You bought an M5 or M6 for the package of luxury and performance. If you want to just talk about performance for the money I don't think anyone can argue much with a used $25,000 Lancer Evolution 8 or 9 with about 10K into the motor... You'll be looking at 3200lbs and 600+ AWD HP. No one would touch you below 150mph.
That video is garbage. The CTS-V traps faster through the 1/4 mile than the M5. A 111.8mph trap for the CTS-V is a joke. Don't get me wrong, the M5 will eventually catch and pass the CTS-V, but it will not be going faster at the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
That video is garbage. The CTS-V traps faster through the 1/4 mile than the M5. A 111.8mph trap for the CTS-V is a joke. Don't get me wrong, the M5 will eventually catch and pass the CTS-V, but it will not be going faster at the 1/4 mile.
Motortrend had a 6 speed M5 and a 6 speed CTS-V at 115.3 and 117.0, respectively, for 1/4 trap speeds.

The vehicles used in the autocar test were an SMG and an automatic. respectively.

Given that the M5 was a European spec model and used the full (non-gimped) launch control, it got one of better starts possible in an M5, while on the other hand the automatic CTS-V probably was hard to launch very well on a surface with limited traction, such as that air field.

I would think that the transition from manual to automatic for the CTS-V and the transition from a manual to a closer geared, faster shifting, unrestricted launch control capable SMG, would more than account for the differences in trap speed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was very close to buying the CTS-V coupe last month, just before I bought the M5. I test drove four different CTS-V's (coupe and sedan) and in every one of them, the interior had a lot of creeking sounds. Everytime I would go over a speed bump or the curb to my driveway, the sunroof would make all kinds of sounds. The performance, and feel were amazing! But I didnt want to take the chance with the interior falling apart.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The wonderful thing about forced induction cars is that power is so easy to make. A tune and smaller pulley will easily yield another 50 hp or so. A bigger blower will probably get you about 100 hp. With the engine already forged, you need not worry about grenading it with more power.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My question was has anyone had a run with one? I know theoretically ctsv is faster! I know my car is not a dragster but I was curious how it would fare against one from a roll.

·
Banned
59 Posts
My question was has anyone had a run with one? I know theoretically ctsv is faster! I know my car is not a dragster but I was curious how it would fare against one from a roll.
Assuming an equal start, how you fare will depend primarily on a) if the CTS-V is stock, many are not since mods are so cheap, and b) what speed the race begins at. Obviously your odds will be much improved the higher speed the race begins at. However, if the guy in the "V" has put even a little money into mods you're not gonna catch him on anything short of an "autobahn type" run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My best friend has one (2010 sedan). We have played many times on I-75 in Atlanta. He is faster, plain and simple. We do mostly rolls at 50mph. For the most part he has me by 1-2 cars at 130mph where we generally let off. He is completely stock, I have eisenmann sec 1 and RPI sec 2 & 3.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My best friend has one (2010 sedan). We have played many times on I-75 in Atlanta. He is faster, plain and simple. We do mostly rolls at 50mph. For the most part he has me by 1-2 cars at 130mph where we generally let off. He is completely stock, I have eisenmann sec 1 and RPI sec 2 & 3.
1-2 cars is what a M5 vs coupe M6 will be. After 130 the M6 pulls. I have seen it in person. Eisenmann sec 1 2 and 3 adds no HP really anyway. Add scoops and you will have him.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts