BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a good question. My buddy runs a set on his GTO. I might have to give him a 6 pack to pull the wheels off and bust out my tape measure. Unless someone here happens to be a 6 pack poorer, and already knows. I was envious as hell when he showed those puppies off too..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Interesting thought, I am just generally curious if this will work. Should work if you get big enough wheels.

I remember being very astounded to see the Brembo name on the side of the brake calipers of the Cadillac ATS rental car I had recently.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Seems like a good deal to me too though I don't know a whole lot about brakes. I'd imagine theres a WAY to make them fit... custom brackets then just finding a rotor to fit? Can't be that hard...? (famous last words!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just wanted to revive and old thread and see if anyone successfully fitted CTS-V calipers to e39m5

IMO: No. The M5 calipers mounting "legs" are 2 different lengths where these are equal length... So one end will look great but the other end will hit the rotor. AND, there is no room on the knuckle to configure a adapter bracket for this type of mounting legs.

What I have not determined is if the optional E38 (7-series) Brembo 4-piston front calipers will fit. I don't think they are staggered legs :dunno:

·
Registered
340 Posts
The e38 had optional brembo brakes? Which model specifically? I looked at the 750i, which is the heaviest and most powerful and I all I see are twin piston sliding calipers. Even if fixed caliper brembos were available on the e38, they would be incredibly difficult to find because I've never seen them.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow, of all things they put it into the 728i, but not the more powerful e38 versions like 740i and 750i. This doesn't make sense, but I guess that is what they did. A quick look at the rotors suggests that even if you can get the calipers, this is not a good option. Specifically, the 728i uses 316x28 rotors while our e39m5 has 345x32 rotors. So the diameter may be a problem, but even if that is solved, the new pads likely won't fit in since our rotor is too thick. I don't think that this e38 to e39m5 brake swap is worth pursuing.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Wow, of all things they put it into the 728i, but not the more powerful e38 versions like 740i and 750i. This doesn't make sense, but I guess that is what they did. A quick look at the rotors suggests that even if you can get the calipers, this is not a good option. Specifically, the 728i uses 316x28 rotors while our e39m5 has 345x32 rotors. So the diameter may be a problem, but even if that is solved, the new pads likely won't fit in since our rotor is too thick. I don't think that this e38 to e39m5 brake swap is worth pursuing.

Had not thought about Alpina B10 calipers before but Plan Z ??

Alpina B10 V8S Bremsanlage Brembo 4 Kolben Bremssättel 360x34mm schwimmend gelagerte Scheiben 4-piston calipers rotors 360mm - speedworxs.de

Using "radial" attached type calipers seem to be the only practical way to be able to make a adapter bracket to fit in the space available.

Link has some good photos of the issues and solution. Think these could work with the 345mm M5 rotor even if intended for 360... Most say a 355mm rotor is as big as you can go and still use the Style 65 18" wheels. Just speculating.

Text translate to:
"Rinal Alpina B10 V8S Brake System Front Axle,
consisting of:
2x calipers Brembo 4 pistons
2x brake discs 360x34mm original Alpina 500km used
Brake pads original Alpina 500km

Adapter for brake calipers and brake hoses

So everything that is needed to rebuild an E39"

·
Registered
138 Posts
No thanks. The e39 is becoming a classic, some would say it already is. If you're gonna modify the car keep all the original
parts so you can put it back in case you want to sell
it. I'm keeping mine intact. If you think the brakes aren't good enough, work on your foot strength!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts