BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an independent BMW shop to do things I can't. My car just hit 90K, he suggested today..cleaning the intake and tops of cylinder walls with crushed walnuts. It's not cheap, says it gets rid of all carbon, now I have never heard of this...anyone here have? Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would not bother. It's much more of a problem with direct injected engines such as the N54. I frankly haven't ever even seen anything about anyone walnut blasting their S85.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not bother. It's much more of a problem with direct injected engines such as the N54. I frankly haven't ever even seen anything about anyone walnut blasting their S85.
I had never even heard of it...they are saying about $1,000 to do it

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dudes probably just looking for more work to do I'm guessing.

Walnut blasting is a common media to blast with in this application. But not needed on our cars as with others. (I think of VWs and Audis for this)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dudes probably just looking for more work to do I'm guessing.

Walnut blasting is a common media to blast with in this application. But not needed on our cars as with others. (I think of VWs and Audis for this)
Why do you say, not so much with the E60 M5...the way the fuel is directed in? just curious why you say that...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Because our engine is not direct injected meaning the fuel is sprayed at the port and enters premixed with the air.

So our runner get "cleaned" since it's constantly being flushed with fuel and maybe some oil bypass.

Direct Injections spray right at the combustion chamber and the runners never see any fuel and only oil bypass and carbon which is why it gets gummed up and no chemicals pass by to clean it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Interesting. I have a tumbler I fill with crushed walnuts to polish my used brass for reloading bullets. Essentially drop in the brass and leave it on and it vibrates the crushed walnuts around the brass. Never thought about using it for parts haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
This method is highly effective at removing Carbon build up.. I got it done on my B7 RS4 (Which are notorious for carbon build up) and got an extra 34 whp in the process. S85 engines are a different set up entirely and are not as prone to build up.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is there a vacuum line where you can suck some Seafoam into the intake? I know on the pushrod V8s that was a good way to clean things out. Pop a vac line, use a small hose in the can, snuff it in until the motor stalls, wait 10 minutes then it blows everything out in a huge smokescreen.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have heard that certain BMW engines can benefit from walnut blasting. Friend of mine had it down to his twin turbo 3 series and said it was like new again. I've seen a few plenums and they all have got a certain amount of carbon buildup. I've tried using walnut blasting in my sand blaster on some aluminum parts that I was wanting to preserve and not scratch up. It wasn't very effective. could be the walnuts I was using from Amazon. Best way I know to clean a plenum is to remove it and soak it for a few days. Totally Awesome works great, so does Grez-Off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard that certain BMW engines can benefit from walnut blasting. Friend of mine had it down to his twin turbo 3 series and said it was like new again. I've seen a few plenums and they all have got a certain amount of carbon buildup. I've tried using walnut blasting in my sand blaster on some aluminum parts that I was wanting to preserve and not scratch up. It wasn't very effective. could be the walnuts I was using from Amazon. Best way I know to clean a plenum is to remove it and soak it for a few days. Totally Awesome works great, so does Grez-Off.
I am guessing you have the S85 V10? I ask because virtually everything I have heard/read to this point say no, not with this engine...the fuel delivery with this engine doesn't require it..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your friend had it done to his car because it’s direct injected. You will not get that same effectiveness and immediate transformation on an S85.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your friend had it done to his car because it’s direct injected. You will not get that same effectiveness and immediate transformation on an S85.
This is exactly why I asked the question...since 2012, except for about 1 year, I have had tow E60 M5's. Also had many conversations with numerous shops about many different things about these cars..until the other day, I have never heard this about the S85 engine. Now the guy that brought it up is a huge [N54 I believe] fan, maybe because it helped his a great deal, he thought it would mine. I have had the fuel injection service done, but not the walnut thing...and they wanted about $1,200 to do it...fuel injection service 6 months ago was about $140

·
Registered
682 Posts
since 2012, except for about 1 year, I have had tow E60 M5's
Are you saying you had to get your M5 towed once a year for the last 8 years!? That's depressing as hell... lmao

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you saying you had to get your M5 towed once a year for the last 8 years!? That's depressing as hell... lmao
Ah..a stand up comedian...TWO, in that time frame I have had two. [I have to admit, that would be sad if true]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts