BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was changing my spark plugs and coils and I found that the #2 cylinder ignition wire was crushed by the retaining bolt for the ignition wire harness. See the picture below. This is my first time changing my plugs and coils. This was done by the mechanic who did it last.

I am having trouble locating the ignition wires, can someone help me find a reasonably priced set of wires?

Also, I want to temporarily cover the damage wire and I am wondering what voltage is feeding the ignition coil. I assume it is lower than the spark voltage and that the ignition coil steps it up, but I am not sure. I want make sure I cover it with an appropriately rated electrical tape, if that is possible. I understand that the damage may change the resistance value of the wire and I intend to replace it, but I need a temporary fix until I can get the wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at the wire connections a little closer, it appears that wire is just a ground wire. Since it is not broken, it is probably OK. I may or may not replace the wires just for that. Does anyone know how often they should be replaced?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts