BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when attempting to rebuild my front driver side brake caliper my buddy cross threaded the brake line. I'm wondering if I will definitely need a new caliper or of it's possible ony the threads on the brake line were damaged. I'm curious if the caliper may be stronger than the brake line fitting and are less likely to be damaged. We didn't over tighten once we realized our mistake but were unable to go more that 4 turns when tightening and could not correct the issue. It is currently on tight but not tightened the full 8 turns and is leaking slowly. Need to fix ASAP.

I tried searching for similar threads so I'm sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks guys.

Nick

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Take the caliper to the parts store and see if a new brake line will seat properly.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
See if you can find a tap with the same thread pitch/size and chase the thread on the caliper. Never had my brake lines off but probably something like a 10mm/1.25mm thread pitch? If you have it 4 full turns in already most likely any new item you try in there will either follow the cross thread or just marr the thread on the new line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts