BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if BMWUsa is holding true to form but it seems like we (US customers) may once again be the global "red headed step child".

Has anyone with a broken in (or perish the thought, non broken in) E60 M5 been able to:

1) Initiate launch mode with RPM's in excess of 2,000 rpms? Note: Product guide states launch RPM is 4,000 but I don't think it was updated for US.

2) Adjust the RPMs in launch mode via cruise control?

They crippled the E46 M3 SMG's in the US and I really hope they did not do the same in the M5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,881 Posts
either way im sure there will be software to reverse it.. Dinan is coming out with software for the M5 that will eliminate the speed governer enabling us to actually do 202mph :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
To my knowledge they did not cripple the M3's.. there is a little more "wading thru menu's" to get to the M3 to S6 etc as I recall (was shown at the M5DE too many years ago now, but it certainly was not de-activated.

Cannot speak to the M5, but will let you know as soon as I have my grubby paws on mine - so to speak...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M Power said:
To my knowledge they did not cripple the M3's.. there is a little more "wading thru menu's" to get to the M3 to S6 etc as I recall (was shown at the M5DE too many years ago now, but it certainly was not de-activated.

Cannot speak to the M5, but will let you know as soon as I have my grubby paws on mine - so to speak...
Unfortunately, they did. M3 still has launch mode but it caps out between 1800 to 2000 rpms. The Euro M3's Launch mode is at a much higher and more usable RPM range (3600+). There is plenty of messages on this issue and it definately is a gripe.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of a mod for the launch control and Active Autowerkes is pretty close. (BTW, Supercharged M3 is insane... and I need to check out their 600hp M5)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
TireBurn said:
I don't know if BMWUsa is holding true to form but it seems like we (US customers) may once again be the global "red headed step child".

Has anyone with a broken in (or perish the thought, non broken in) E60 M5 been able to:

1) Initiate launch mode with RPM's in excess of 2,000 rpms? Note: Product guide states launch RPM is 4,000 but I don't think it was updated for US.

2) Adjust the RPMs in launch mode via cruise control?

They crippled the E46 M3 SMG's in the US and I really hope they did not do the same in the M5.
true... i launch my M3 at 4,000-4,500... but to be honest, the 2000 is enough for a good launch...(i'm unsure if it means that the launch wont be as effective as Eurospec?! someone fill me in on this point..).. good thing tho is that a 2k rev launch dozent put as much strain on the clutch! safety precaution i'm guessin'... coz i hear a burnt clutch on the SMG is not covered in our warranties!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
So is thier anyone with a State side M5 that has used the LC yet.!!??

I sure hope your wrong!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
BD 997 said:
either way im sure there will be software to reverse it.. Dinan is coming out with software for the M5 that will eliminate the speed governer enabling us to actually do 202mph :)
Is Dinan going to come out with something this soon? Don't they come out with stuf after everyone else has?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
JonnybravoM3 said:
true... i launch my M3 at 4,000-4,500... but to be honest, the 2000 is enough for a good launch...(i'm unsure if it means that the launch wont be as effective as Eurospec?! someone fill me in on this point..).. good thing tho is that a 2k rev launch dozent put as much strain on the clutch! safety precaution i'm guessin'... coz i hear a burnt clutch on the SMG is not covered in our warranties!
My launch is plenty harsh at 2000, not sure what 4500 would do any better. Almost feel better start with the non-wheelspin launch (slow depress of pedal to floor). As I heard it, our legal system can't limit BMW liability so they took down the LC to 2000 but we have no limit under warranty. In Europe higher RPM but limit before warranty voided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hammer91 said:
My launch is plenty harsh at 2000, not sure what 4500 would do any better. Almost feel better start with the non-wheelspin launch (slow depress of pedal to floor). ... clip.
Unless I am mistaken, the euro slow depress is a 3800+ launch that does control wheelspin. I believe the "mash" launch at 2000 in the US model is akin to the burnout mode in the euro version. I can just see the litigation now...

Class action suit: M3 SMG... M5 ... all clutches have prematurely worn and should be replaced under warranty

BMWUsa: Launch control is considered abuse of the vehicle and is not covered under warranty.

Class action response: Mr. BmwUsa, you mean to tell me that you have a documented feature in your US vehicles and your mean to say that by using the feature and the damage (premature wear) it causes is not covered.

Court: ... smack smack BMW...

Folks, I doubt that the US M5 will have the same LC as the rest of the world. And I hope someone proves me wrong.

Hammer91, let me ask, i'm sittin on a 04 smg convert as well, how do you like the M5 versus the droptop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
is it just me our if you stop the gas in S6 and dsc off in an M3 it revs to 4500 and then launches because thats what happens in my M3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
The BMW information guide sent to the dealers talks about launch control being available on USA cars. It was posted on October 9th "2006 Product Information Guide" and a link was posted to the guide by M Five within the body of the post.

On Page 5 - "All new 7speed SMG" - "Includes launch control"
Page 25 "7 speed SMG Benefits" - "Includes Launch Control"
Page 27 "Launch Control" detailed paragraph on how it works "revs motor up to 4,000 rpm" and see ya!

Now I don't have my car yet, but it says it is there, so I expect it will be!

JCM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I have no intention of being rude and please don't kill me for saying this BUT:

Americans cry too much. They get most of the features at an incredibly low price compared to the world (I am strictly talking of M5's in this sense), yet if they do not get anything which is supplied in Europe, Asia etc. they cry foul and say that we regarded as the "global red headed step child". Just recently I read somewhere about seeing if they had the High Beam Assist.

You'll have the most longest list of standard equipment all for under the price of what a base M5 would cost in the UK.

If anybody is offended by this post then please tell, I would gladly delete it.

[/rant]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
GrimReaper said:
I have no intention of being rude and please don't kill me for saying this BUT:

Americans cry too much. They get most of the features at an incredibly low price compared to the world (I am strictly talking of M5's in this sense), yet if they do not get anything which is supplied in Europe, Asia etc. they cry foul and say that we regarded as the "global red headed step child". Just recently I read somewhere about seeing if they had the High Beam Assist.

You'll have the most longest list of standard equipment all for under the price of what a base M5 would cost in the UK.

If anybody is offended by this post then please tell, I would gladly delete it.

[/rant]
The incredibly low price is due to lower import taxes. BMW m5 MSRP pricing varies throughout the world because of these tax differences.

"Cars in India currently carry a total tax levy of up to about 50%: excise tax of 24%, 12.5% Value-Added Tax, road taxes of 4%–11%, 2% education levy and 1% natural calamity levy. "

US citizens make it up elsewhere with high effective federal and state taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
hal2000 said:
The incredibly low price is due to lower import taxes. BMW m5 MSRP pricing varies throughout the world because of these tax differences.

"Cars in India currently carry a total tax levy of up to about 50%: excise tax of 24%, 12.5% Value-Added Tax, road taxes of 4%–11%, 2% education levy and 1% natural calamity levy. "

US citizens make it up elsewhere with high effective federal and state taxes.
I am aware of that fact, but even if you don't look at the taxes, M5's in the USA still have the highlest standard list of options.

BTW wherever you got your information about the tax regarding Indian cars are wrong.

The real tax is:

Base + Options
+ 103% OF Base + Options
+ 22% (which includes Octroi, Registration, Handling and Insurance)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
To get something you often must first ask/demand. The fact that Americans get more for less money and simultaneously demand yet more is not an accidental connection. Furthermore, America has historically erected fewer governmental barriers (taxes, regulations, etc.) to wealth production and consumption, though unfortunately this is gradually changing for the worse.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
GrimReaper said:
I am aware of that fact, but even if you don't look at the taxes, M5's in the USA still have the highlest standard list of options.

BTW wherever you got your information about the tax regarding Indian cars are wrong.

The real tax is:

Base + Options
+ 103% OF Base + Options
+ 22% (which includes Octroi, Registration, Handling and Insurance)
That's not really true. If you look at the US package vs. EU package then they're basicly the same except the EU cars come standard with HUD and M Multifunction seats.

They do not have many of the options that we have, M6 rims and Individual being the most important.

And finally the pricetag before taxes here in NL is lower then US, it's the taxes that kill it for us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
frylord said:
That's not really true. If you look at the US package vs. EU package then they're basicly the same except the EU cars come standard with HUD and M Multifunction seats.

They do not have many of the options that we have, M6 rims and Individual being the most important.

And finally the pricetag before taxes here in NL is lower then US, it's the taxes that kill it for us.
Sorry wasn't aware of that fact.

I'm just pissed off. Over here in India we have absolutely nothing as standard (am I am not assuming, I mean literally nothing!!) and over that we have to pay a gazillion bucks in import duty.
:nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
TireBurn said:
Unless I am mistaken, the euro slow depress is a 3800+ launch that does control wheelspin. I believe the "mash" launch at 2000 in the US model is akin to the burnout mode in the euro version. I can just see the litigation now...

Class action suit: M3 SMG... M5 ... all clutches have prematurely worn and should be replaced under warranty

BMWUsa: Launch control is considered abuse of the vehicle and is not covered under warranty.

Class action response: Mr. BmwUsa, you mean to tell me that you have a documented feature in your US vehicles and your mean to say that by using the feature and the damage (premature wear) it causes is not covered.

Court: ... smack smack BMW...

Folks, I doubt that the US M5 will have the same LC as the rest of the world. And I hope someone proves me wrong.
Okay but there is just one flaw in your logic :) ALthough I'm sure that if you raise hell over this you can get your dealer to replace it free of charge BUT there is (in my opinion) no way you could prove it in court. It's regular wear and tear and if you use LC then your clutch wears faster, plain and simple.

Look at the Kawasaki ZX-12R Clutch. The OEM clutch wears and maybe even burns very fast under full load. Aftermarket suppliers know this and they supply clutches which have been redesign to battle this. Kawasaki refuses to acknowledge this and in court they even won saying that it's regular wear and tear.
http://www.petitiononline.com/zx12r/petition.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
GrimReaper said:
Sorry wasn't aware of that fact.

I'm just pissed off. Over here in India we have absolutely nothing as standard (am I am not assuming, I mean literally nothing!!) and over that we have to pay a gazillion bucks in import duty.
:nono:
Maybe I'll be moving to Turkey and I have inquired about the price in Turkey aswell. There's an 80% tax on cars with a displacement bigger then 2l. So I was shocked to find out that the same car cost 220k euro over there...
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
GrimReaper said:
Sorry wasn't aware of that fact.

I'm just pissed off. Over here in India we have absolutely nothing as standard (am I am not assuming, I mean literally nothing!!) and over that we have to pay a gazillion bucks in import duty.
:nono:
Lobby your government. Affect peaceful change. Bring forth more M cars! :D

Seriously, Tom has it pretty much spot on. Maybe it comes across as crying/whining but its because we won't settle for less.

I don't know the answer on the launch control but my 2 thoughts are. 1- While it would be fun to give it a try, I wouldn't use it too often: mechanical sympathy + bad roads + no place to do a real burn out start. 2- I wouldn't be surprised if we got the full version.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top