BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a search, but didn't find anything useful.

The leather seats in my 2001 M5 are in very good condition, but they tend to creak where the two leather areas meet. For example, where the bottom of the front seats meet the side bolsters. I've tried lexol conditioner, and it seems to work a little, but within a week, the creaking is back with a vengence. The previous owner claims he only cleaned it, and did not use any special leather products. I've not cleaned the seats with anything other than water, however I do follow that up with the lexol conditioner.

Is there anything else I can use to reduce or eliminate the creaking? I think I saw one post recommend the BMW dealer's leather product.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This may be a bit odd but how about some vaseline or the BMW version...Gummy Phledge.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim W said:
This may be a bit odd but how about some vaseline or the BMW version...Gummy Phledge.
You know, I did think about trying some vaseline, but figured that would be too simple a solution
I was also worried about leaving some oily residue on the seats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a little bit more investigation. The thing with lexol is that when it dries, it dries to a somewhat sticky consistency. The product has to be carefully and vigorously buffed out to reduce this. It's possible I put a little bit more than required, buffing with a clean cloth seems to help somewhat. If not, the leather on leather rubbing will creak noticeably.

It would be interesting to hear from others that have experience with other leather conditioning products that don't have this isssue.

·
Registered
977 Posts
R748 said:
Did a little bit more investigation. The thing with lexol is that when it dries, it dries to a somewhat sticky consistency. The product has to be carefully and vigorously buffed out to reduce this. It's possible I put a little bit more than required, buffing with a clean cloth seems to help somewhat. If not, the leather on leather rubbing will creak noticeably.

It would be interesting to hear from others that have experience with other leather conditioning products that don't have this isssue.
My friend just spent about 7 hours detailing my car, he used 2 leather products
1) Connolly Hide Food (which is just 2 bottles, Leather Cleaner and Hide Car Conditioner)
2) Leatherique

The Hide Food is what he used everywhere, Leatherique for some tough shiny spots. He swears by these two products, and they are two higher end leather cleaners/conditioners out there. Another popular one is Spinneybeck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts