BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any thoughts here guys. I've used the search function and tried different things to no avail.

There is no way I have the only M5 that makes this much noise over pavement irregularities. Drives me nuts, especially for $70k cargrrrrrrr Rest assured, this is not some hypersensitive OCD posting about a noise that no one else can hear except myself. It's there, it's annoying and makes an otherwise vault like car sound cheaply made.

Here's the deal. While backing out of my driveway over a 4" sloped curb into the street, there are multiple creaks that sound like they're emanating from both the drivers and passengers side interior B-pillar. This noise persists anytime I drive over recessed manhole covers or sharp changes in the pavement. Basically anytime the chassis has to flex more than usual like entering and exciting parking lots with a slope and only at lower speeds. At highway speeds I do not hear the creaking noises.

This noise is not the rear parcel shelf issue that seems to affect some M5's with the folding seats. It is 100% coming from the B-pillars. At times it seems to be coming from the rear doors too. But all doors shut very solidly without any worn hinges, misalignment or such. The car is all original, no accidents and 78k mi.

It is not coming from anything suspension related as I have just completed a front suspension overhaul and rear ball joints(yes, there was a post in the archives that a failed rear ball joint can cause the b-pillar trim to rattle:dunno:) the problem persists.

I thought it might be the seatbelt retractors but from what I've read, no one has had to replace them due to this noise. For fear of introducing new noises I have not dissasembled the interior B pillar trim. If anyone has a pdf file or some ideas on how to remove it I'd love to hear from you. At this point it would seem that the noise is coming from this exact location. I cannot reproduce the sound with the car stationary, the chassis has to flex for the creaks to be audible.

I lubed both weather seals on BOTH the door side AND on the frame of the car with absolutely no change whatsoever. In addition, all weather seals look to be in decent shape, only the rear door seals have some worn areas but definitely no holes.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as many details as possible to help diagnose this annoying problem. I'm all ears to any suggestions, so let them fly! TIA!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've had creaking from the doors on two E28s, an E39, E83 and our late E70. I know the seals and flocking have changed across models but still I've experienced it all. The E83 went back to the dealer 9 times without a solution. On our E70 they installed some clear plastic strips on the metal door opening (almost like a Lamin-X product). I think you're experiencing this kind of problem and while it may seem like the B pillar it is probably coming from the top of a door frame(s). You can test this by cautiously going up/down a driveway opening with the doors closed and opened to see if the noise disappears. Let us know if you think it may be different.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
One other thing to consider: I recently changed from Titanium trim to Cubic Black. When I pulled the trim on the doors each post on the trim had a folded layer of electrical tape on it. I didn't put any tape on the new trim when I put it on (the posts were installed and hot-glued in) and suddenly my silent car was full of minor squeaks and creaks when I pulled out of the driveway. Pulled all the trim, put the same fold of tape on each post, jammed them back in an voila, back to bank vault status. Moral of the story: Pull your door trim and try driving around...if that makes the sounds go away you've found your culprit.

BTW, I have no idea why that would be the cause of the noise, but it definitely was. The problem was created and solved in 2 hour's time and I changed nothing else.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOLKS WE HAVE A WINNER! wxl1988 was correct! I happen to have some felt tape around just for things like this. I'll be honest, I was skeptical and somewhat laughing to myself as I applied a "Ring" of felt around all 4 door striker pins. It only took me 4 minutes and 15 feet out of my driveway to realize this was in fact the culprit of that annoying squeak/creak I was getting from what sounded like the B-pillar. Just to make sure this fixed it I took a quick run around the neighborhood and hit every manhole I could find just to be 100% sure. I honestly think EVERY E39 owner should do this $6 mod to get that peace and quiet back from the interior. Looking at the striker pins, they were not worn at all, so replacing them with new ones would not fix the problem in my opinion. wxl1998 the next brew is on me!

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Looking for any thoughts here guys. I've used the search function and tried different things to no avail.

There is no way I have the only M5 that makes this much noise over pavement irregularities. Drives me nuts, especially for $70k cargrrrrrrr Rest assured, this is not some hypersensitive OCD posting about a noise that no one else can hear except myself. It's there, it's annoying and makes an otherwise vault like car sound cheaply made.

Here's the deal. While backing out of my driveway over a 4" sloped curb into the street, there are multiple creaks that sound like they're emanating from both the drivers and passengers side interior B-pillar. This noise persists anytime I drive over recessed manhole covers or sharp changes in the pavement. Basically anytime the chassis has to flex more than usual like entering and exciting parking lots with a slope and only at lower speeds. At highway speeds I do not hear the creaking noises.

This noise is not the rear parcel shelf issue that seems to affect some M5's with the folding seats. It is 100% coming from the B-pillars. At times it seems to be coming from the rear doors too. But all doors shut very solidly without any worn hinges, misalignment or such. The car is all original, no accidents and 78k mi.

It is not coming from anything suspension related as I have just completed a front suspension overhaul and rear ball joints(yes, there was a post in the archives that a failed rear ball joint can cause the b-pillar trim to rattle:dunno:) the problem persists.

I thought it might be the seatbelt retractors but from what I've read, no one has had to replace them due to this noise. For fear of introducing new noises I have not dissasembled the interior B pillar trim. If anyone has a pdf file or some ideas on how to remove it I'd love to hear from you. At this point it would seem that the noise is coming from this exact location. I cannot reproduce the sound with the car stationary, the chassis has to flex for the creaks to be audible.

I lubed both weather seals on BOTH the door side AND on the frame of the car with absolutely no change whatsoever. In addition, all weather seals look to be in decent shape, only the rear door seals have some worn areas but definitely no holes.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as many details as possible to help diagnose this annoying problem. I'm all ears to any suggestions, so let them fly! TIA!
oh my gosh... you finally figured it out for me, this problem was driving me NUTS. nice and quiet now. :biggrinbounce::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
velcro works a treat, years later and mine are still quiet!

I disassembled the b-pillar and taped and lubed everything in sight but the damn creaking kept happening - GO VELCRO!
Just did all 4 doors hoping to fix all the creaks and squeaks of the interior, but no difference at all, still makes tons of interior noise, can't even listen to music unless I'm blasting it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts