BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.

I've been dealing with the creaking squeaking doors issue for quite some time. I think I've tried everything, including:

1) Cleaning the seals
2) Gummipfledge on the seals
3) Moving door catch in
4) Moving door catch out
5) putting velcro loop tape on the top of the doors
6) dealer replacing outer seal
7) dealer replacing inner seal

After all of these things, every time I come to a complete stop, or go from a stoplight, crreeeaaaakkk. Yuck!

I had just about given up and was driving around with my windows slightly opened and my radio up. Then one day I was washing and waxing my car and decided, what the heck? can't hurt, the creaking is already out of control.

So I waxed my door jambs. Now I know a post from Atomic 80 said his dealer said NEVER to wax the door jambs. But there was nothing to lose. So a little zymol (carbon)..... and the creaks go away!!!!

It's now been two weeks and the creaks have still stayed away. This in all types of weather, hot 90+ as well as cool and mild. I'm happy! :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
why would it be bad to wax the door jambs?

·
Registered
612 Posts
beetlem5 said:
So I waxed my door jambs. Now I know a post from Atomic 80 said his dealer said NEVER to wax the door jambs. But there was nothing to lose. So a little zymol (carbon)..... and the creaks go away!!!!
Thank you for sharing this tip. Stupid question... exactly where are the door jambs? :confused:

Thank you.
Alfred

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
beetlem5 said:
Hi Folks.

I've been dealing with the creaking squeaking doors issue for quite some time. I think I've tried everything, including:

1) Cleaning the seals
2) Gummipfledge on the seals
3) Moving door catch in
4) Moving door catch out
5) putting velcro loop tape on the top of the doors
6) dealer replacing outer seal
7) dealer replacing inner seal

After all of these things, every time I come to a complete stop, or go from a stoplight, crreeeaaaakkk. Yuck!

I had just about given up and was driving around with my windows slightly opened and my radio up. Then one day I was washing and waxing my car and decided, what the heck? can't hurt, the creaking is already out of control.

It's now been two weeks and the creaks have still stayed away. This in all types of weather, hot 90+ as well as cool and mild. I'm happy! :)
Great piece of information, thanks for sharing

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Great post!

Just like Alfred above, I´d like to know what part is the door jambs, please?

David

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Funny. I had no creaks until just recently. I suppose there was a lot of gummi fledge on it (from prev. owner) but I've been cleaning it off over time and now I have creaks. I would always get it on my hands and didn't like the smell. Might have to try the wax method.

·
Registered
340 Posts
IceGBG said:
Exactly, what is a door jamb?
Can somebody, please, specify?

Thx
I think the door jamb in the case of a car is the body that surrounds the actual door. Its the framing which holds the door in place.

Another jamb (sounds the same as the b is silent) is when you want to say, "I got to jam", now that means I gotta go.

Of course our friends in Jamaica say we are "jamin." That means we are having a great time and all is going well.
Just having a little fun.:cheers:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dmccrary90025 said:
I think the door jamb in the case of a car is the body that surrounds the actual door. Its the framing which holds the door in place.

Another jamb (sounds the same as the b is silent) is when you want to say, "I go to jam", now that means I gotta go.

Of course our friends in Jamaica say we are "jamin." That means we are having a great time and all is going well.
Just having a little fun.:cheers:

:D dmccrary is correct on all counts!!!

in the case of the squeaks though, the first answer is the most accurate. Wax the framing which holds the door in place (ie open the door and wax around the metal frame). WARNING: according to atomic80's dealer, this will CAUSE squeaks. But, if you are in the same boat like me (already squeaking like craaazy), then give it a shot. worked for me. YMMV.

-bailey

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
beetlem5 said:
:D dmccrary is correct on all counts!!!

in the case of the squeaks though, the first answer is the most accurate. Wax the framing which holds the door in place (ie open the door and wax around the metal frame). WARNING: according to atomic80's dealer, this will CAUSE squeaks. But, if you are in the same boat like me (already squeaking like craaazy), then give it a shot. worked for me. YMMV.

-bailey
Actually, it makes sense a little because waxing around the place where the seal makes contact will cause the seal to slide back and forth without gripping/rubbing, thus the squeaking. But, wax causes the rubber to break down. Maybe cooking oil will work better.hmmm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts