BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beast sounded like it had a chronic case of indigestion. When turning corners at slow speeds there would be an awful grinding noise from the drivetrain.

I took it to the dealer on Tuesday for a long roadtest but of course they couldn't find anything (despite us trying a lot of slow donuts). A little research on their part found a recall. The part (oil) was ordered and the job took less than an hour to complete this morning. Another excellent experience with Wayne at Scotthall Borehamwood.

Here are the technical details (as per the recall notice):

Measure Number: 5150634-02
Subject: Grating noises from the differential when cornering
Release date: September 12, 2006
Organisation: GB, CAR

Vehicles affected: E60 E63 Body: Coupe Limo (i.e. M5 and M6)
Engine: S85

Complaint:

Grating noises from the differential when cornering at low speed.

Cause:

Slip-stick effect between the lined disc and steel disc of the rear-axle differential lock in the event of a difference in wheel rotation speeds on the rear axle.

Measure:

In the event of a complaint, fill the differential with special differential oil, part number 83 22 2 282 583. Differential filling volume 1.1 litres.

Caution: After the oil change, a distance of approximately 600 miles (1000km) must be covered before the noise will be completely eradicated.

Procedure in accordance with Service Information 33 01 02 (850)

Fault:

Fault location: Chassis, rear axle (drive)
Nature of fault: Distinct perception (noise)
Condition: Driving operation, while driving cornering/lateral inclination

Defect:

Main group
33 Rear axle

Subgroup
10 Rear final drive

02 Grating noise from final drive unit (HAG) when cornering (limited-slip differential)

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
That was a very common occurance with GM. traction lock in the diff....It should be all set .

·
Registered
839 Posts
AH HA!! Sometimes in 2nd or 3rd while decelerating, I will get an audible drone from the drivetrain and feel a slight vibration coming up through the armrest. This sounds like my exact problem.

I am going into the shop with this documentation.

Thanks Ashok!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I had that problem after the 1200 mile service last year. I had them drain and refill it with M3-spec oil, and it has been fine ever since.

'Rocket

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for this great thread. I came to the site looking for an answer to this exact problem. In my case, I get a clunk first and then a grinding noise. Seems to occur especially when leaving my parking garage --> a low speed tight and descending right hand corner.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
For those of you that have had this noise, does it sound a little like brakes rubbing, or is it really a more grinding noise? I've had a squeek or metal rubbing noise for a couple months now, but only at low speeds and rarely duplicatable when I try. It also seems to be coming from the front left rather than the rear, but that could just be how I'm hearing the noise as it travels through the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have this issue as well - but only on slow RIGHT hand turns and typically only the first one or two of the day. I read that TSB some time ago and although there is a "fix" there isn't really anything wrong with the vehicles so I decided to leave the original spec oil in.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have this exact problem myself (did a query here on the board a few weeks ago) so I took it to the service after reading the kind answers from my fellow M5B-members and they actually called me today for an appointment tomorrow which they say will take 45 minutes aprox.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
JamesInLV said:
For those of you that have had this noise, does it sound a little like brakes rubbing, or is it really a more grinding noise? I've had a squeek or metal rubbing noise for a couple months now, but only at low speeds and rarely duplicatable when I try. It also seems to be coming from the front left rather than the rear, but that could just be how I'm hearing the noise as it travels through the car.
Sounds like we may have the same problem. Still haven't figured it out.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78034

·
Registered
283 Posts
LJM5 said:
AH HA!! Sometimes in 2nd or 3rd while decelerating, I will get an audible drone from the drivetrain and feel a slight vibration coming up through the armrest. This sounds like my exact problem.

I am going into the shop with this documentation.

Thanks Ashok!
LJM5, I beleive Ashok is talking of a different problem, one that I have experienced myself, and it was an easy fix of different diff fluids from the dealer. This grinding problems only happened in turns, on a cold start.

That being said, the problem YOU describe is also one I have noticed on my car. It happens, say, when coasting down to a stop light, the revs are nearing about 3k, and a slight drone/vibration comes through the cabin for a moment. Its really inconsistent though. But i have no idea if its normal or not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
JamesInLV said:
Floating brake rotors tend to make a rattling/grinding noise as thermal expansion and cooling cause them to move on their brake hats. Brake dust, dirt and rust build up around the pins and contribute to this sometimes annoying trait. Just a possibility to consider.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It would be a good excuse to change out the diff to a Dinan 3.91...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the exact same sound, creaking at slow turns....sounds like a lack of lube in the ball joints but you really have to listen and I am anal when it comes to these things.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Jerry

·
Registered
404 Posts
My car is now making this grinding noise like everyone experieced. When I make the right pulling out of my driveway and making a right at the end of my block, it just doesn't sound good. Sounds like a rubbing/grinding noise when the wheel is spinning from the drivers rear? Is that what everyone expericed? I would like to swap out the Diff for the Dinan 3.91, but I'd rather wait for the S1,S2 packages to come out and do the whole thing at once. I'll probably take it in Thursday to get fixed but If anybody can give me a heads up on what to tell my advisor what's exactly going on I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
RYAN17 said:
My car is now making this grinding noise like everyone experieced. When I make the right pulling out of my driveway and making a right at the end of my block, it just doesn't sound good. Sounds like a rubbing/grinding noise when the wheel is spinning from the drivers rear? Is that what everyone expericed? I would like to swap out the Diff for the Dinan 3.91, but I'd rather wait for the S1,S2 packages to come out and do the whole thing at once. I'll probably take it in Thursday to get fixed but If anybody can give me a heads up on what to tell my advisor what's exactly going on I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Did you look at the first post on this thread ?? What more would your advisor need to know ?? I had the same problem, told them what it said in the technical bulletin and they replaced the diff fluid.

Am I missing something in your question ??

·
Registered
404 Posts
MMMMMax said:
Did you look at the first post on this thread ?? What more would your advisor need to know ?? I had the same problem, told them what it said in the technical bulletin and they replaced the diff fluid.

Am I missing something in your question ??
Wasn't sure if it was the same thing as Ashok experieced. For instance, LJM5 had problems when decelerating which I haven't noticed with mine. E60 Beast also thought they were two different problems. I can read, I just didn't context it in the right format I guess. So I guess you experienced the same issue as me. I'll print out the technical bulletin and see if it could be done in hopefully a day's time.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
RYAN17 said:
Wasn't sure if it was the same thing as Ashok experieced. For instance, LJM5 had problems when decelerating which I haven't noticed with mine. E60 Beast also thought they were two different problems. I can read, I just didn't context it in the right format I guess. So I guess you experienced the same issue as me. I'll print out the technical bulletin and see if it could be done in hopefully a day's time.
Yes, your issue is the one covered by the bulletin and your dealer should have no trouble getting it done in one day.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My '06 developed the "groan" last week at 13,500 miles. It was fixed today with some new differential fluid.

MJ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts