BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove around yesterday with both rear seats folded down after going to home depot to pick up a few things (didn't feel like driving the dirty truck)...and realized that the creaking, squeaking and old dry timber sounds were absent...PLUS the exhaust sound is amplified (sort of cool)...

I was sort of thinking about taking out the lower rear seat and just leaving it like that but that would be silly...so whats creaking? Leather to leather i would think...Guess just a good heavy coat of lexol might do it?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't call it a rattle

Sounds more like a creak like when my POS diff mount broke on my MZ3...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
the rattle is from the latches on the rear seats against the strikers. get some rubberized tape and wrap the strikers, .
I have this exact same noise since my bottom seat & complete top shelf/rear deck assembly is removed while I'm waiting for my tech to install my PSS9 kit. Thanks for the advice & good idea...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey, still got pics from the fire station in Fontana! Three beasts together always looks good.
The creaking might be movement of the seatbacks against whatever they are touching. I occasionally notice some creaking noises when going over big bumps in my X5 (which also has folding rear seats), that seem to be emanating from the rear seats.
Try having someone sit in the rear seat while driving, see if the weight of a body puts enough pressure on the seat to eliminate or reduce the noise? Be a good start to tracking it down.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
the rattle is from the latches on the rear seats against the strikers. get some rubberized tape and wrap the strikers, .
I tried doing this last night like you recommended & it worked. All I had was some thin black electrical tape but it worked. Wrapped it around the front area of the driver side striker (about 3 or 4 times) & the sound went away... Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts