BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 M5 and have a creak in the dash that seems to occur once the car warms up. The car is rock solid quiet if its cold outside and I just started driving. Once things warm up, on street roads I get a creaking noise, which sounds like 2 pieces of hard plastic rubbing against each other. I have tried unsuccessfully to determine the cause. It seems to be coming from the middle of the dash, towards the area where the dash meets the glass.

I am now considering taking it to a shop to look at it but not sure if I should take it to my local indy which does the mechanical work or if I should go to a body shop. Not sure which one would have more experience with dealing with the interior.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 2001 M5 and have a creak in the dash that seems to occur once the car warms up. The car is rock solid quiet if its cold outside and I just started driving. Once things warm up, on street roads I get a creaking noise, which sounds like 2 pieces of hard plastic rubbing against each other. I have tried unsuccessfully to determine the cause. It seems to be coming from the middle of the dash, towards the area where the dash meets the glass.

I am now considering taking it to a shop to look at it but not sure if I should take it to my local indy which does the mechanical work or if I should go to a body shop. Not sure which one would have more experience with dealing with the interior.
I just discovered the same problem, When I push on glass and hold it the sound goes away.Seems to be between the glass and dash? Its starting to drive me nuts!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If either of you find the solution, please share. I did put tape around the sensor that is located in the middle of the dash but that did not help. I did look down into the dash, near the glass, and there looks to be some plastic under the top vent areas. Wondering if that is what is rubbing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Years later...... anyone figure this one out? I have the same creak from the same spot. If I (even gently) push on the dash towards the front of the car, like above the instrument cluster, it stops. The moment I let go it's back. Even the tiniest crack in pavement will cause it to creak. Sounds like a rickety ship!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Years later...... anyone figure this one out? I have the same creak from the same spot. If I (even gently) push on the dash towards the front of the car, like above the instrument cluster, it stops. The moment I let go it's back. Even the tiniest crack in pavement will cause it to creak. Sounds like a rickety ship!!

Have you tried a silicon or teflon spray?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you tried a silicon or teflon spray?
Spray it inbetween the dash and the windshield, you mean?

I've seen a 'sensor' mentioned around the m5board that if you pull it out and put felt under it that helps.... I went and looked at mine and there is no sensor in the dash. I went ahead and pushed some thin rubber (heat shrink tubing, in fact) inbetween the dash and the windshield with a flathead screwdriver ... We'll see if that helps. If it does, I'll just slice it off as close to the dash as I can so it's not visible (black tubing/black dash/black windshield coating).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you guys have the plastic or all-leather dash? I've had the leather dash on both of my M5s, on the first one the sound went away if I pushed down on the center of the dash. With the current car it seems like it's the passenger airbag cover rubbing up against the dash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you guys have the plastic or all-leather dash? I've had the leather dash on both of my M5s, on the first one the sound went away if I pushed down on the center of the dash. With the current car it seems like it's the passenger airbag cover rubbing up against the dash.
All leather dash.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same creek. Seems to happen only when it's really cold or really hot. Pushing on the passenger side of the dash stops it completely. Although I haven't heard it in quite some time, I'm sure it'll come back as the weather changes. Leather dash here as well.

-- Ed

·
Registered
383 Posts
Leather dash, same creak, happens when hot or cold. Applying pressure to the passenger airbag makes it go away. I added a bit of felt between the a-pillar and dash, this quieted it down for a bit but recently the noise has come back. My assumption is more felt will make it go away again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts